Mike's Panther RS6 Performance thread

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
MikeFish
Cruising

Mike's Panther RS6 Performance thread

Post by MikeFish » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:21 am

Most of you know my story so far but for any that don't here it is:

I had (and currently still have) a Phantom Black B7 RS4 that used to look like this:

But after nearly 6 years it looks more like this:

Anyway, that car has its own build thread and stereo thread:
Car build thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=102448
Stereo build thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=102447

So, onto the new car. Back in early December Audi opened the book on the new RS6 Performance. By the end of the week I had placed an order for one and was given a build week of 18th Jan. bear in mind there were no demo cars in the country so I had to test drive a normal RS6 and had to guess whether I woud like the colour combos in the flesh and the look of the wheels etc.

Spec was:
RS6 Performance (605ps)
Panther black, crystal effect
Titanium package
21" x 9.5J '5-Spoke' star design titanium-look alloy wheel with 285/30 R21 tyres
Valcona leather/Alcantara quilted honeycomb, Black with Blue stitching
Headliner: Black
Interior trim Carbon (not blue carbon)
Audi Connect and Audi phone box
Dynamic package (DRC and dynamic steering, plus 174mph top speed)
Parking Pack Advanced
Assistance Pack
Without tow bar preparation
Plus the Performance standard equipment:
Sports Exhaust
Privacy glass

This is what the configurator said my car would look like. Notice the titan trim is much darker (and nicer) than in real life:

I won't bore you again with my struggle of exterior trim colours needless to say I changed my mind for carbon but was too late but actually quite like the titan trim now i have it.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the MY16 cars supported playback of lossless FLAC files. So a few hard drives were bought and filled with all my FLACs and MP3s ready for the cars arrival. Note: I still can’t get it to recognise all the files on my disc even though I’ve followed every rule I can find (very annoying!).

So, 8 weeks after ordering my car was ready for collection. As it was early February there was no way I was going to wait until 1st March for the 16 reg. I had a private plate already lined up so it didn't make a great deal of difference.
I already bought a set of black rings and black rear badge. I sent them to the dealer and asked him to have them fitted before I collected the car. I decided to leave the rear rings off completely to keep the rear a little cleaner.

Collection day:

I noticed for all the lovely LEDs on the car, the boot still had buttery coloured non-LED lights. So these were changed straight away for a set of LED out of my garage collection.

Next, I needed to drop the suspension slightly. I wanted until the car had been run in and had a good run before changing the springs to make sure everything was OK. So with just a little less than 800 miles on the clock it was booked in to Plush Automotive for fitment of some H&R lowering springs. These come in 2 flavours; 40mm and 20mm. I went for the more drastic 40mm (even though Luke really wanted to drop it properly on air. This was nearly scuppered when they tried to start work on the car and realised the licking wheel nut key given to me by Audi was the wrong one. After a frantic few moments trying to sort something out my end, Plush managed to save the day and found one that fits. I was straight onto my dealer who apologised and put one in the post.
I got the car back from Plush today and this is what it looks like now. The back is a little higher than the front, not sure if that will settle or if there are differences to the Performance chassis. Luke from Plush did point out that my car was slightly different underneath to his own RS6 and the others that he had worked on (he has converted 3 C7s to air already, and I believe the only 3 in the world).
No noticeable difference in ride quality with the new springs. Maybe feels a bit better through the bends though.

In a couple of weeks it’s off for a detail and Gtechniq coating. Hopefully be lots of nice photos after that.

Not sure what’s next. Exhaust could do with a little more noise so might have to chop the centre resonator out or get a milltek. Not interested in performance mods at this time as it is already flaming quick. The stereo definitely needs some work. I think the 1st thing I need to do is connect that flaming centre speaker; it’s all I can hear and it’s <beep>. Beyond that, I’d love to get my Focal Utopia 3 ways in with passive Crossblock crossover and all my DLS amps. I had a good clean-u pin the garage at the weekend and realised hoe many of these large amps I have (and only ever used half of them). Would be nice to finally use them but they will take up too much room I think. Luke has started upgrading his RS6 stereo and not lost any boot space so I will have a listen and a look when I get the chance.
Maybe later I will have the titan trims tinted to look more like the configurator image.

Not taken any interior or under bonnet shots yet but I’ll take some soon.
Last edited by MikeFish on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RS6chris!
Cruising

Re: Mike's Panther RS6 Performance thread

Post by RS6chris! » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:07 am

Awesome Mike

Dare I say??.....spacers?

Although looking at drop probably rub??
RS6 C8 carbon black(merlin)
RS6 C8 launch edition
R8 V10 plus
C7 RS6 PE dynamic pack plus
C7 RS6
Porsche Panamera Turbo
C6 RS6 AVANT
RS4 B7
Golf R32 mk 5
BMW M3 E46
Golf R32 mk 5
Golf GTI mk 5
VW Passat 130d 4 motion
VW bora 150pd
Ford Mondeo Ghia X V6
Ford Focus zetec
Rover 214!!

MrBadger
2nd Gear

Post by MrBadger » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:37 am

As your number plate says -WOW. Both cars looking great.

I do like the fact your new car is weeks old and you are already scratching the itch to upgrade.
2006 B7 RS4 Black Saloon

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:05 am

RS6chris! wrote:Awesome Mike

Dare I say??.....spacers?

Although looking at drop probably rub??
You are right. The only reason I haven't got spacers already is I wanted to see it lowered before deciding on new wheels. I am really tempted to order a single wheel today to see if I can get it to fit on the front or the back. I don't think they'll fit but might try anyway.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:07 am

MrBadger wrote:As your number plate says -WOW. Both cars looking great.

I do like the fact your new car is weeks old and you are already scratching the itch to upgrade.
Lol the itch was there before the car was even ordered. I must say though, there isn't really much I want to change at the moment. Wheels and stereo, maybe exhaust is all for now.

Luke@plush
1st Gear

Post by Luke@plush » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:21 am

thanks for the kind words :beerchug: :beerchug:

awesome car! glad we could help :thumbs:

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:36 am

Mike it's just a thought. I think the rear looks perfect but( only my opinion) I think the front just looks a little too low. Could you not try sticking the 20mm drop springs just on the front to level it off?
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

daytonamart
5th Gear

Post by daytonamart » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:44 am

Good work Mike, car looks great. It may be the car park lights but the front drop looks very low to me.

Looking forward to another stereo build.
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:54 am

Eddie555 wrote:Mike it's just a thought. I think the rear looks perfect but( only my opinion) I think the front just looks a little too low. Could you not try sticking the 20mm drop springs just on the front to level it off?
I tend to agree, that front does look too low as the top of the tyre now sits within the wheel arch & that (in my opinion) is a little pimp my ride.

Other than that the car looks stunning & the rear height's perfect.
Paul
03 Black AmD Stage3 C5 RS6 Saloon (Sold)
05 Blue DMS E60 M5 (Sold)
07 Blue DMS B7 RS4 Saloon (Sold)
10 White Nissan R35 GT-R Premium Edition SVM Stage 4 (Sold)
12 White D4 A8 TDi SE Executive (Sold)
14 Grey LCi F10 M5 (Rejected)
14 Blue DMS Stage 2 LCi F10 M5 (Sold)
17 Grey FFRR Autobiography (Rejected)
17 Black D4 A8 TDi Black Edition (Sold)
18 White APR Stage 2 Golf R 7.5 Estate

alexrs6plus
2nd Gear

Post by alexrs6plus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:14 am

Hi Mike, just a quick question.
I ordered myself a performance edition back in mid February, i did test drive the standard version before. What would you say is the performance compared to the standard version? Is it noticeable if you remember the standard version that is.

Cheers
Alex

kavbhamra
2nd Gear

Post by kavbhamra » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Looks good buddy :-) I'll keep an eye on this. After looking at the pics I think the 20mm will be ok for me, although the 40mm look really nice!!. Hopefully we can meet up when I get mine lowered :-)

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Lovely Mike.
But would look so much cooler IMO with properly spaced number plate.
Less is more sometimes ;)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:22 pm

alexrs6plus wrote:Hi Mike, just a quick question.
I ordered myself a performance edition back in mid February, i did test drive the standard version before. What would you say is the performance compared to the standard version? Is it noticeable if you remember the standard version that is.

Cheers
Alex
From memory, there is a noticeable difference, mainly at low speed, not so much at motorway speed..

alexrs6plus
2nd Gear

Post by alexrs6plus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:48 pm

OK, thank you Mike. :thumbs:

CH3OH
Neutral

Post by CH3OH » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:32 pm

Great car Mike. Looks wicked.
How does the performance of your car compare to the standard RS 6 that you test drove ?

Return to “Readers' Rides”