Mike's big RS4 modding project

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
Wotsirb
2nd Gear

Re: Mike's big RS4 modding project

Post by Wotsirb » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:45 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
MikeFish wrote:i wanted the AMI to connect a hard drive with all my music on. Struggling to get a decent sized hard drive working on the wifes AMI, I think the problem is USB3. All the drivers I've tried are not recognized, but all the usb 2 ones are ok so I'm just about to order a 1tb usb 2 drove (not many available). I've picked the larger version of the one I bought the wife which works fine. The idea being I can remove the drive and throw it straight into the 6 when it arrives.
I've got a 250GB hard drive that I normally use on the AMI in my B7 RS4, but as an experiment last week I formatted a 1TB SSD to FAT32 and copied my nearly 100GB of music onto it, and that worked fine.

Remember on AMI the drive must be formatted to FAT32 not exFAT or NTFS, which means you can't use the Windows format program because of M$ stupid (and totally unnecessary) limit of 32GB on FAT32.

Is this just a USB powered drive? Guessing it allows you to see all music/albums/artists?

Mark
Toy: '07 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
Daily: 06 B7 2.0T Special Edition Avant

Previous: '09 B8 2.0T Quattro S line Avant

- OEM Defined - Instagram: @OEMDefined - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OemDefined/ -

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:31 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
MikeFish wrote:i wanted the AMI to connect a hard drive with all my music on. Struggling to get a decent sized hard drive working on the wifes AMI, I think the problem is USB3. All the drivers I've tried are not recognized, but all the usb 2 ones are ok so I'm just about to order a 1tb usb 2 drove (not many available). I've picked the larger version of the one I bought the wife which works fine. The idea being I can remove the drive and throw it straight into the 6 when it arrives.
I've got a 250GB hard drive that I normally use on the AMI in my B7 RS4, but as an experiment last week I formatted a 1TB SSD to FAT32 and copied my nearly 100GB of music onto it, and that worked fine.

Remember on AMI the drive must be formatted to FAT32 not exFAT or NTFS, which means you can't use the Windows format program because of M$ stupid (and totally unnecessary) limit of 32GB on FAT32.
Dave, I formated the drives to FAT32 each time using a programme called Fat32Formatter. All the 1tb drives I have tried so far have been USB3 and have not worked. I can feel the disc spinning but they are not recognised. All the USB2 drives I've tried so far (up to 500gb) have been fine. I now have a 1tb USB2 drive in the post so I'll try that when it turns up.
I could try an SSD I guess. They must have a very low current consumption as there is no disc to spin so should be OK, but I'd imagine a 1tb SSD is still quite expensive.

All of the above was in my wife's 8V, not on the RNS-E / AMI combo of the B7.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:35 pm

Wotsirb wrote:
PetrolDave wrote:

Is this just a USB powered drive? Guessing it allows you to see all music/albums/artists?

Mark
Mark, yes it is powered by the USB from the AMI. It basically behaves in the same way as the SD cards so you browse via folders on the drive. I din't think you see the metadata, just the filename of the tracks and the folder you are in. I seem to recall an option so switch to metadata instead of filename but I found it too restrictive.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:36 pm

Did you steal her AMI before part ex against the RS3?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:42 pm

marc1 wrote:Did you steal her AMI before part ex against the RS3?
No, she wouldn't let me take the RNS-E (didn't think about the AMI as I wasn't planning on changing car at the time and had my Alpine).
She also wouldn't let me take the buckets out! The car had only done 8000 miles, they were like new still!!!

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Haha women hey?!

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:08 pm

MikeFish wrote:Dave, I formated the drives to FAT32 each time using a programme called Fat32Formatter. All the 1tb drives I have tried so far have been USB3 and have not worked. I can feel the disc spinning but they are not recognised. All the USB2 drives I've tried so far (up to 500gb) have been fine. I now have a 1tb USB2 drive in the post so I'll try that when it turns up.
I could try an SSD I guess. They must have a very low current consumption as there is no disc to spin so should be OK, but I'd imagine a 1tb SSD is still quite expensive.

All of the above was in my wife's 8V, not on the RNS-E / AMI combo of the B7.
USB3 will most likely be the problem, AFAIK AMI is only USB2.

The SSD I used is a Samsung 850 Evo Basic that has a SATA interface and I fitted that into a cheapo SATA to USB2 case - total was around £275.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:09 pm

The RNS-E is now fitted and all working fine.
AMI is also in and working fine too. Good job!

I tried the new 1tb drive in my RS4 and it didn't work, but it works fine in the RS3 so I'm assuming it will work in the RS6 so I'll keep hold of it for the 6. An old 500gb drive works ok in the 4 so I will use that until I get rid of it.

I've noticed the firmware on the new RNS-E is 200. If I remember correctly the latest version was 220. Is there anything worth updating for between 200 and 220?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:12 pm

I also have a full postcode map. And exactly as Dave mentioned, it doesn't work when it's really cold.
Slightly annoying too that after I enter the full postcode I still have to enter the name of the road. There is only one option when I get there but it means there are several unnecessary button presses to get to the right road.

Noyjatat
Top Gear

Post by Noyjatat » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:19 am

Can you not just put in the post code and centre map it like you can with locations Mike?

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:03 pm

MikeFish wrote:I've noticed the firmware on the new RNS-E is 200. If I remember correctly the latest version was 220. Is there anything worth updating for between 200 and 220?
Nothing that anyone has reported.

If you're still running 200 then check the date on the maps as 200 was replaced in 2013, which would suggest your maps are 2012 or older. See http://audiforum.us/threads/audi-naviga ... bers.6857/
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:57 pm

Full postcode map is being relegated. It was working fine this morning until I got to the bit of my journey where I actually needed some help with the directions and exactly at that point is decided it was going to be unreadable. A map that only works when it wants to is no good to me, I need to dig out my proper disc and use that.

Seattle-squash
2nd Gear

Post by Seattle-squash » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Your car looks fantastic! I like how you cleaned up bay with intake, new reservoir, added carbon and caps. Top notch.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:37 pm

Seattle-squash wrote:Your car looks fantastic! I like how you cleaned up bay with intake, new reservoir, added carbon and caps. Top notch.
Thanks. I've got some brand new OEM carbon covers to replace the yellowing ones too now. Need to give out another clean and takes some more photos.
And I need something to replace the brake fluid cover as its the only one that hasn't been changed yet.

denis.dasilva2
1st Gear

Post by denis.dasilva2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Nice work

Return to “Readers' Rides”