Mike's big RS4 modding project

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Mike's big RS4 modding project

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:28 pm

RIV wrote:I got my black locking nuts from virdee
Your nuts look better than mine! might have to give Virdee a call.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Ha, I also took another video but forgot to take the lens cap off.
A bit more revving in this one so thought I'd post anyway as there isn't much to look at even with the cap off!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Ready for AITP tomorrow;

Last edited by MikeFish on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:46 pm

You not cleaning it before tomorrow then Mike?

:jump:
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:51 pm

I'm half cut and the car is in the garage. Depending on how the rest of the night pans out it'll either go as it is now, or will get an engine clean tonight and a quick dusting tomorrow.
I bet you've been buffing all day? Mind you, yours doesn't have 8 years of swirls marks.
Does it swirl like a black car?

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:38 pm

Washed and shined this evening. Plan was to completely detail from the ground up - 2 stage machine polish, LSP & wax etc. work ended up getting in the way so I cheated and just washed and SRP'd, then glass clean, engine detail and done the wheels.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439066272.465437.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439066246.645372.jpg
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:03 pm

Mike that looks awesome with the new rims

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Been a while since any updates;

One of my rear LED units has developed a fault so needed replacing:

You can see a section of LEDs no longer works. Probably repairable but I couldn't be bothered so thought I'd replace the whole lot with some slightly newer ones.
Here you can see the difference between the old and new styles (new style on the left):

And with both changed:

That's a crap picture to be fair. They look a lot better in the flesh; I've gone back to having my coming home lights back on so I get to see them lit whenever I walk back to the car... Sad, but true!

I'll try get some better pictures in daylight to show what they actually look like then some better night shots.

Last night I swapped the faceplate from my orignal RNS-E over onto the 193G version I have bought to fit into my car ready for selling. I have an AMI unit to go in too, just waiting for the cabling to turn up then that lot can be fitted. I will have an original RNS-E with A3 faceplate, my old Alpine headunit with A4/S4/RS4 fitting kit (to make it fit the gap) and the orignal Audi 6 Cd changer all for sale soon I guess.

Old & new side by side before the operation:

Surprised how good condition my old one is still in, looks in pretty good nick.
Last edited by MikeFish on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:38 pm

Looks good Mike. Are the new lights Dectane? They look like the ones I had on my black saloon, better indicators, being LED too. I've done the AMI mod in the avant. I'm using it with an iPhone, and it gets a bit confused with playlists at times. Are you using with Andriod? Maybe it will be better with that set up.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:52 pm

Yes I think they are dectanes. They look identical to them but I can't remember if itnactually said dectane anywhere on them.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:57 pm

I've not fitted the RNS-E or AMI yet, the cable hasn't turned up for the AMI yet and I don't want to pull it all out again tomorrow or whenever the cable turns up.
I am an Android user but I wont be using my phone, i wanted the AMI to connect a hard drive with all my music on. Struggling to get a decent sized hard drive working on the wifes AMI, I think the problem is USB3. All the drivers I've tried are not recognized, but all the usb 2 ones are ok so I'm just about to order a 1tb usb 2 drove (not many available). I've picked the larger version of the one I bought the wife which works fine. The idea being I can remove the drive and throw it straight into the 6 when it arrives.

Wotsirb
2nd Gear

Post by Wotsirb » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:24 pm

MikeFish wrote:Ha, I also took another video but forgot to take the lens cap off.
A bit more revving in this one so thought I'd post anyway as there isn't much to look at even with the cap off!

Is this x pipe or straight pipe? Any decrease in power?
Toy: '07 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
Daily: 06 B7 2.0T Special Edition Avant

Previous: '09 B8 2.0T Quattro S line Avant

- OEM Defined - Instagram: @OEMDefined - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OemDefined/ -

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:40 pm

No noticeable loss of power.
That is my current configuration of gutted pre cats, centre resonator delete (with straight pipe) and valves disconnected. One of my favourite mods and one that didn't cost alot (gutted pre cats aside).

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:50 am

MikeFish wrote:I've not fitted the RNS-E or AMI yet, the cable hasn't turned up for the AMI yet and I don't want to pull it all out again tomorrow or whenever the cable turns up.
I am an Android user but I wont be using my phone, i wanted the AMI to connect a hard drive with all my music on. Struggling to get a decent sized hard drive working on the wifes AMI, I think the problem is USB3. All the drivers I've tried are not recognized, but all the usb 2 ones are ok so I'm just about to order a 1tb usb 2 drove (not many available). I've picked the larger version of the one I bought the wife which works fine. The idea being I can remove the drive and throw it straight into the 6 when it arrives.
Makes sense. Good move. :thumbs:

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:39 pm

MikeFish wrote:i wanted the AMI to connect a hard drive with all my music on. Struggling to get a decent sized hard drive working on the wifes AMI, I think the problem is USB3. All the drivers I've tried are not recognized, but all the usb 2 ones are ok so I'm just about to order a 1tb usb 2 drove (not many available). I've picked the larger version of the one I bought the wife which works fine. The idea being I can remove the drive and throw it straight into the 6 when it arrives.
I've got a 250GB hard drive that I normally use on the AMI in my B7 RS4, but as an experiment last week I formatted a 1TB SSD to FAT32 and copied my nearly 100GB of music onto it, and that worked fine.

Remember on AMI the drive must be formatted to FAT32 not exFAT or NTFS, which means you can't use the Windows format program because of M$ stupid (and totally unnecessary) limit of 32GB on FAT32.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

Return to “Readers' Rides”