Cuppa's S5 Coupe (Supercharged / Meteor Grey)

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
Cuppa
2nd Gear

Post by Cuppa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi all, thought I'd post up my car build to date.  Haven't included everything, just things I have pictures of.  This is a comparison shot of now vs when I collected it...

Been an Audi driver since 1998 and had a workhorse A4 1.8 from new until last September when at 140,000 miles with lots of outstanding repairs it had to go.

After much debating I bought a 2008 S5 Coupe in Meteor Grey with Magma Red interior.  I'd had her a while, not that many factory options, and a few simple mods, but the real work started as the warranty had gone.

Was a big step up from a 1.8 to a 4.2.  By March/April time last year I was getting fed up with the stock stereo setup so decided to do something about it...

3 Sinfoni amps...

To drive Morel Elate Limited Edition speakers in the doors...

And some added bass

Sound was great, but it got me hooked on modding...

1) "How can I make it go faster!"
I did some research on the V8 engine and saw mapping did diddly squat, so thought supercharger.  Did my research on various kits and went to spend some time at TTS to see their Rotrex kit and be driven round in their car.  I was sold.  They pointed me towards MRC Tuning for the fit.

Dyno'd at 328ps, down on stock.  Carbon cleaned due to

Supercharger fitted...

Before and after figures on the same graph.  A healthy increase to just over 600ps :)

The install came with Milltek downpipes and Milltek catback exhaust.  Sound was loud on the outside and turned heads a plenty, but the drone inside the car was unbearable for me.  The exhaust eventually had to go.  More on that later.

The Supercharger itself is glorious.  It has transformed the car - initially it was scary (remember 6 months before I was pottering around in a 1.8 ).  I also had a JHM Short throw shifter fitted which I really like.  So much so my next thoughts were...

2) "I need better brakes!"

So.  Wanted a stock OEM look to it.  I was offered some RS6 C6 brakes and the RS5 BBK, but I managed to source some of these from overseas at a great price...

Brake kit came with calipers, pads, discs, guard, etc., but once fitted it was obvious it needed the RS5 brake servo also to work properly.

Whilst I was at it I had the rims and tyres changed for 20" and had a H&R sway bar kit fitted

And had the exhaust swapped back to stock downpipes and the Capristo Valved Exhaust

The sound now is PERFECT.  Sounds great from outside and nearly silent inside (which is just what I want as I love my music).  The valves open due to backpressure (which can be customised) so this works perfectly with my charger.

3) Handling and a drop
I'd been advised to sort out handling a while ago but wanted everything else sorted out first.  Initially didn't want to drop the car either, but thought a slight drop would look good.  I had a dilemma.  How could I have a comfortable car which is my daily driver and I do about 300 miles a week, plus have it setup for the track, which is something I had been considering getting into.  Could I have both?  I'd been reading about these KW DDC 'iPhone' coilovers which KW had recently released.  A button in the car to switch between comfort, sport and sport+.  You could also control the damping from an iPhone app in 1% increments for each axle.  I noticed on their website they had them for the S5.  Jabbasport in Crowland sourced them and fitted them for me.

These are great.  Based on the KW V3 coilovers, but with an immediate change to suspension through a button.

And now the aesthetics.  These have happened along the way and perhaps too many to mention, I'll let the photos do the talking...

Got this off ebay.de

So this is how it looked at Audi Driver International.

A few pics of the completed spoiler install...

Next came the Rieger bumper.

Then the Rieger Luftseiden side skirts...

Next came the S7 Rear ceramics...

and the SPC adjustable upper control arms...

Most recent shot...

Here's some videos of the Capristo.  I was testing out the manual spoiler button to check it worked (was when I retrofitted the RS bootlid), but it's the best sound clips I have of the exhaust too.  One is of the cold startup and one is from slowish to 60mph and then lifting the spoiler a couple of times.  Will get some better clips when the weather gets better - need to get a better windshield on the mic though.

Sound is a little quiet so you may need to turn the sound up.

And that's all for now.  More to come so will make sure to post an update to the thread as the build continues...
S5 Supercharged V8 Coupe - Meteor Grey / Magma
TTS Supercharger (601PS / 675Nm) | Capristo Valved Exhaust | KW DDC Coilovers | JHM Short-Throw Shifter | HRE P104 21x10.5" + PSS
Ceramic Brakes (R8 GT Front / S7 Rear) | RS5 bootlid | Rieger S5 bumper | Rieger Sideskirts | RS5 grille | SPC adjustable UCA
H&R ARB kit | custom stereo & more |
Fuelly | >> click for build thread << | Facebook Page

Nickyboy
Top Gear

Re: Cuppa's S5 Coupe (Supercharged / Meteor Grey)

Post by Nickyboy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:55 pm

YES!!!!!!!

Great write up and great pics. I saw this motor at Audi Driver International and was mighty impressed. If ever you're down Combe way again give me a PM as I'd love to have a look / ride in this.
2014: 8V S3, Scirocco (mistake)
2013: B8 RS 5, 3.0T S5 coupe, B8 S5 cab - temp, B8 S4 avant
2011: 2.0T FL Octavia VRS
2010: 1.8T Octavia VRS

Cuppa
2nd Gear

Post by Cuppa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Nickyboy wrote:YES!!!!!!!

Great write up and great pics. I saw this motor at Audi Driver International and was mighty impressed. If ever you're down Combe way again give me a PM as I'd love to have a look / ride in this.
No probs - been a few upgrades since ADI, will be there again this year am sure.
TTS Supercharger (601PS / 675Nm) | Capristo Valved Exhaust | KW DDC Coilovers | JHM Short-Throw Shifter | HRE P104 21x10.5" + PSS
Ceramic Brakes (R8 GT Front / S7 Rear) | RS5 bootlid | Rieger S5 bumper | Rieger Sideskirts | RS5 grille | SPC adjustable UCA

Daytona3
1st Gear

Post by Daytona3 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Wow. there's a lot of hidden work there. How long did the "transformation" take you if I may ask ? how much do you estimate you have spent till now on these upgrades ?

535dboy
Top Gear

Post by 535dboy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Wow

Very impressed

So basically a manual RS5 in look but with more power
Currently :
2019 Porsche 992S (£21k of extra toys)
2019 Porsche Macan S (£18k of extra toys)
2015 Lotus Exige V6 ( c430bhp)
2019 Seat Ibiza excellence Lux! (115bhp, 3 cyl, dsg)
1987 Porsche 928S4
1967 Jaaag Mk2 3.4

Ex
2017 AMG E class wagon
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)

Cuppa
2nd Gear

Post by Cuppa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Daytona3 wrote:How long did the "transformation" take you if I may ask ? how much do you estimate you have spent till now on these upgrades ?
April last year for the stereo, rest of it started in June last year. Re cost - not counting :shock:
535dboy wrote:So basically a manual RS5 in look but with more power
LOL, could say that I guess. I like driving manual cars so the RS5 is a no-no for me. Only thing I don't like about the S5 look is the rear valance - looks dull - that has to change, but as yet not sure what to do with it.

535dboy
Top Gear

Post by 535dboy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:20 pm

A win win then

Still have the right noise with the right box too
Currently :
2019 Porsche 992S (£21k of extra toys)
2019 Porsche Macan S (£18k of extra toys)
2015 Lotus Exige V6 ( c430bhp)
2019 Seat Ibiza excellence Lux! (115bhp, 3 cyl, dsg)
1987 Porsche 928S4
1967 Jaaag Mk2 3.4

Ex
2017 AMG E class wagon
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)

Daytona3
1st Gear

Post by Daytona3 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:28 pm

LOL... I don't blame you for not counting... The engine power must be massive though :) May I ask from where you sourced the brake calipers and disks if not from the UK?

Cuppa
2nd Gear

Post by Cuppa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Daytona3 wrote:LOL... I don't blame you for not counting... The engine power must be massive though :) May I ask from where you sourced the brake calipers and disks if not from the UK?
Got them from a forum user (littledevil) over on a5oc - got my rims and front and rear ceramics through him now - very trustworthy.
Last edited by Cuppa on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daytona3
1st Gear

Post by Daytona3 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks Mate :)

BillTheButcher
4th Gear

Post by BillTheButcher » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Love this car. 8)

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:22 am

You had me until you put the Rieger bumper on.
No matter where you go, there you are.

sonny
Cruising

Post by sonny » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Very nice. How you getting on with the KW DDC?
Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a well sorted racecar

Cuppa
2nd Gear

Post by Cuppa » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:09 pm

sonny wrote:Very nice. How you getting on with the KW DDC?
Love them. Normally drive around in Sport mode, but if the roads are bumpy then flick into comfort. If it's fresh smooth tarmac then into Sport+ :mrgreen:

Cuppa
2nd Gear

Post by Cuppa » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Return to “Readers' Rides”