JamesBaby’s B7 RS4 Avant Daytona & Phantom

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
JamesBaby
2nd Gear

Re: JamesBaby’s B7 RS4 Avant Daytona & Phantom

Post by JamesBaby » Wed May 11, 2022 9:23 am

RS4 Lower Door Trims

The RS4 lower door trims are known to warp over time due to the metal inside them corroding. Or the metal pegs onto which they slide and fix onto corroding.

This can cause unsightly warping. They are getting rarer to buy new so I thought I’d take mine off and clean them up. Thankfully mine are not warped.

The lower door trims are simple to remove by a Philips screw on each end on the inside of the door. Once unscrewed the door trim is slid backwards, along the door. This disengages it from the several mounting points welded to the doorskin. Then it simply pulls off. Do not pull at the trim without first sliding it backwards off the mounting points.

On my car there was some dirt behind there but I’ve heard of cars being caked in dirt. So give it a good clean.

I found my mounting points were starting to rust. So I put rust remover on them. Then I sanded them. Then I painted them with hammerite.

Painted over

I then put resilient grease into the plastic mounting point so that when I slide them back on the grease will cover the metal pegs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesBaby
2nd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Sat May 21, 2022 7:57 pm

RS4 B7 Dashboard & Trim clean and steam clean seats.

My interior looks mint but when I saw Steve’s 25k mile example I realised that the dashboard wasn’t the factory looking matt black.

So I decided to use an Audi Plastic Cleaner on it and I have to say I’m impressed. It’s brought it back to the factory matt look.

The product was applied using a cloth and rubbed/polished in. You can’t use it as a spot cleaner. Whole panels only. Then a bucket of clean water and a sponge to rinse it off. Wiping multiple times whilst rinsing in the bucket.

Left to dry off the look was fantastic. Years of product it flash dash removed.

After a few days I noticed that some areas needed doing again as I could see patches in certain lighting conditions. So I did the process again and it’s lush. I did all the doors too.

I also used my steam cleaner and gave the seats a good clean.

Also gave the car a wash and went for a blast.

audinick
Neutral

Post by audinick » Sun May 22, 2022 2:34 pm

Tidy that mate :thumbs:

JamesBaby
2nd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Sun May 22, 2022 10:57 pm

Thanks Nick.

I also set about cleaning the engine bay. Here I also dressed the plastic trim with an Audi Plastic Trim Treatment. This is rubbed in and once dry gently buffed to leave a satin finish.

JamesBaby
2nd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Sun May 29, 2022 8:35 am

Since buying the car I never had a proper look underneath to check for corrosion and the state of the DRC hard lines.

My previous Daytona had spent time in Scotland and had surface rust and the arch wells needed attention. The jacking points needed attention too I recall.

On mine I recently had taken the arch liners out to clean them and the arches, and noticed dirt near the welds and some light rust.

I hired a ramp at a place in Oldham called Booth Hill Auto. They offer ramp hire by the hour and it’s an excellent service. Large spacious area with a full set of tools. Although I took mine with me.

After removing all the under trays and plastic covers I was pleasantly surprised. There was hardly any rust at all. There was no rust on the sills either or damage.

In the few places where there was dotted rust I rubbed it off with a wire brush on a drill. I rubbed down the sill edges and body edges, and done parts under the engine near the radiators.

I then used Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 to convert any rust. You brush it on and it converts any rust to a stable metal.

I then coated it with brush on Hammerite underseal which includes waxoyl.

Here are some pictures. The work is all hidden so excuse that my effort isn’t a Picasso :)

My next step will be to clear wax coat the underside of the car with something like Bilt Hamber S50, or perhaps Lanoguard.

Mav8
3rd Gear

Post by Mav8 » Sun May 29, 2022 10:03 am

Great updates mate
What’s next on the to do list?
Mav8
RS3- Sepang
Gone
F80-M3
B7-RS4
B5-RS4

JamesBaby
2nd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Sun May 29, 2022 3:16 pm

Thanks Mav8. I’m really enjoying driving and working on the car.

Next?, we’ll I have a stack of parts 3ft high now. I’ve been collecting them when I found mega deals. :)

Full suspension arm and bush refurb, front & rear is probably the next big job.

My exhaust flexis are looking worn so some kind of exhaust mod might be on the cards.

JamesBaby
2nd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Sun May 29, 2022 7:40 pm

The bucket seats have leather covers that should be fixed into the seat frame by way of special fixings.

These fixings are often not put back in if the cover has been undone. This causes the leather not to be tight and stretched properly. This causes big creases in the leather, premature wear, and squeaks as the leather moves when you sit in it.

You can easily tell by the loose cover and by looking along where the leather fixes into the groove of the frame. Easily visible if it’s just tucked loosely or tightly in there.

I bought the correct fixing and using a plastic trim tool to push the leather into place properly.

In this pic you can see that my passenger seat has creases in it, but now is snugly fitted.

This is my drivers seat which was still tightly fitted into the frame.

JamesBaby
2nd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:09 am

So I have started a couple of projects for RS4 B7 owners.

Firstly I am in the process of getting the DRC hardlines made up in stainless steel, and at way less cost than Audi. I hope to have a few sets made up and sell them as a kit of all 4 lines.

Secondly I have made a batch of OEM looking mats. Lots of aftermarket mats available but non with the OEM large logo in RHD format. So I made some up for those purists like me who want the OEM look.

More info to follow.

Mav8
3rd Gear

Post by Mav8 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:11 pm

Look great
If I still had my B7 I’d be all over these
Mav8
RS3- Sepang
Gone
F80-M3