How does remapping affect insurance

Discuss common aspects of Audi RS and S tuning and modifications
JustinM
1st Gear

How does remapping affect insurance

Post by JustinM » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:19 pm

Do you have to notify them if its a remap and not a chip change?

How much does the premium alter by?

dummi
4th Gear

RE: How does remapping affect insurance

Post by dummi » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:02 pm

it says its up with %hp increase over standard form, you will have to ask your insurance company by how much

CliveH
Cruising

Post by CliveH » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:05 pm

It doesnt necessarily increase your premium - try Greenlight, they're mods friendly.
Clive

S2 ABY coupe, S4 B5 saloon, S4 B6 avant
RS4 B7 phantom black saloon, mint, fully loaded, low mileage - FOR SALE!- http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNp ... ic&t=88981
S8 D2 facelift, RS6 C5 saloon, both gone but not forgotten

simple1
Cruising

Post by simple1 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:13 pm

The flip side of the question is..... mapping is npt detectable by service depts, where as chip change is very obvious............

derdle
Cruising

Post by derdle » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:48 am

Regardless of method you should advise your insurance company. Mine didn't charge any extra premium (Elephant.co.uk).

If you don't tell them of the mod you are technically driving without insurance.....which means they may refuse to payout in the event of a claim and you could then be up in front of the beak for driving without insurance too!
RS4 in the only colour to have - Misano Red | MRC Remap | RS6+ brakes | H&R and Custom Performance Parts suspension |
Huge Grin :biggrin3: If you dont "do it now" you never will.

TWH
4th Gear

Post by TWH » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:54 pm

Yeah, I would say it's definitely not worth not disclosing it to your insurance company because driving without insurance, for me, should be punishable by death. Having been hit by an uninsured driver who then also did a runner and left me carrying the cost for the damage to my shiney new S3 I would quite hapilly torch their house with them in it if I ever found them.

I think most insurance companies, if they've given you a decent rate on an RS4 will add little if any premium for a slight hike in power - you're already pretty near the top of their insurance range anyway :)
2001 Avus Silver RS4, APRacing 6pots - Gone, but not forgotten :(

quattrosteph
4th Gear

insurance

Post by quattrosteph » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:13 pm

I don't think insurance can find out if your car have been remap or not to be honest so...... :idea:

DavidT
Cruising

RE: insurance

Post by DavidT » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:23 pm

They can mate, as can the dealers.

derdle
Cruising

Post by derdle » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:25 pm

I don't think insurance can find out if your car have been remap or not to be honest so......
It's a very serious risk you run. An insurance contract is one made in the "utmost good faith" (uberrimae fidae) and if you don't disclose the mods your insurance is invalid and therefore you are driving without insurance. I don't know how much your car is worth (or in fact your drivers licence) and can you afford to replace the car out of your own pocket if the worst does happen. Could you also afford to cover any third party liability (if you accidently put soemone in hospital or worse).

What if your car was stolen and wrecked beyond repair by some scumbags

By beginning this thread you cannot plead ignorance (it's no excuse in the law anyway) and as we all know the insurance companies will always try their hardest not to pay out.

For the sake of adding a few extra quid to your premium (if they charge you that is ..mine didn't) you can sleep easily.

Be a good citizen.

Paul
RS4 in the only colour to have - Misano Red | MRC Remap | RS6+ brakes | H&R and Custom Performance Parts suspension |
Huge Grin :biggrin3: If you dont "do it now" you never will.

kcsun
4th Gear

Post by kcsun » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:12 pm

If you bought the car second hand and the mods were done by a previous owner. They may already know the changes to your car. If you have an accident they will then check that you (or the previous owner) had had the mods removed. I know that when I asked a second insurance company for a quote they already knew it was modified, but not by how much - or they were not letting on
REMEMBER your insurance company IS Big Brother and they do cross reference, and they are waiting for an excuse not to pay you out

kc

bakerdcb
4th Gear

Post by bakerdcb » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:49 pm

I declared my Stage II with Direct Line and they put my premium up £80 from £570 to £650. This is still with full protected no claims. I thought that was reasonable and I feel confident that I'm properly covered with nothing to hide

Dippy
Cruising

Post by Dippy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:10 pm

Following on from Paul's post, RS246.COM advises all members to notify their insurance provider of every modification made to their car. This is a legal requirement because failure to do so may invalidate your insurance.
2001 Silver S4 Avant
AmD remap, APR R1 DVs, APR bipipe, Full Miltek exhaust
H&R coilovers, AWE DTS, Porsche front brakes, Short-shifter, 18" RS4 replicas
Defi-HUD boost gauge / turbo-timer (with afterrun pump modification), Phatbox

CliveH
Cruising

Post by CliveH » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:11 pm

Hopefully, that's cleared this up once and for all. In summary :-

1. Declare all modifications and upgrades to your insurers.
2. RS246.com advises all members to comply with this legal requirement.
3. If you fail to follow this advice, you could face serious consequences.
4. Remapping of the ECU is detectable.
5. You should not suffer a big hike in premiums as a result of declaring modifications, although this may involve shopping around.

Dippy - Perhaps you post this as a sticky somewhere?
Clive

S2 ABY coupe, S4 B5 saloon, S4 B6 avant
RS4 B7 phantom black saloon, mint, fully loaded, low mileage - FOR SALE!- http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNp ... ic&t=88981
S8 D2 facelift, RS6 C5 saloon, both gone but not forgotten

bobbler
3rd Gear

Post by bobbler » Tue May 22, 2007 9:31 pm

Not worth the hassle of not declaring. Greenlight charged me £25 for the jump from standard to 315bhp MRC remap, though they said that the 18" wheels I put on the insurance at the same time where the main contributing factor to the hike LOL.
Declare everything no matter how insignificant, we all know insurance companies will find any excuse not to pay out...dont give them one is my opinion
. S4 Nogaro Blue Avant . ECS IV . RS4 handling bits . 18" Ultraleggera . AWE Boost Gauge . MRC Custom Map . 315 BHP . 482 Nm .

Cornishmoocher
Top Gear

Post by Cornishmoocher » Thu May 08, 2008 12:40 am

Interesting thread this.

It was something thatI had been wondering if it was standard practice to notify the inscomp of the mods. The best man at our wedding is an expert witness in marine insurance (Dag Pike) and is kept busy at £2k per day by inscomps 48 weeks of the year. This includes people who modify there engines on there boats to increase performance. Unfortunately he has dealt with too many cases where swimmers or skiers have been killed, or the idiot behind the wheel has run out of talent and killed himself and his passegers, and undisclosed mods are an immediate "null and void". the law then takes over. Never worth it in my opinion, as the insurnce companies WILL persue EVERY avenue to get out of paying out, even to the extent of paying 2k per day on a case that will save them 1k!!
It's all Bollox.
Half of what you read is bull and the other half is all <beep>.

Return to “Audi Tuning and Modifications”