How does remapping affect insurance

Discuss common aspects of Audi RS and S tuning and modifications
HPsauce
4th Gear

Re: How does remapping affect insurance

Post by HPsauce » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 pm

Oddly today I was getting quotes for my other car (a Volvo) which has been remapped, it's an official (Polestar) remap done by Volvo themselves and fully warrantied.
One company (Aviva) when given details said that there was no extra charge whatsoever for any remap done By the manufacturer.
My current insurer didn't charge much either, I think (excluding the admin fee) it was less than £15 a year!

But you do very definitely have to tell them when it's done; I checked it all out first with the insurers before committing.

liffy99
2nd Gear

Re: How does remapping affect insurance

Post by liffy99 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:03 am

Just in the process of insuring my B9 RS5 - 34% jump for a standard car plus double the excess ! That's the best I can do so far (£440 to £592).
I want to remap the car in a few months time (engine still under guarantee for now) but specifying a stage 1 remap (about a 10% power increase) almost doubles the cost.
I've tried Greenlight (won't insure cars worth more than £30k), Brentacre and Adrian Flux require more mods for them to consider - they won't do a simple remap on its own.
In the words of my current insurer - "you're about as low a risk as possible" but I still can't see a way forward. Makes the cost of remap plus huge insurance hike uneconomic.
Seems I have to spend more fitting mods I don't want to be in with a chance.
Anyone found an insurer that will cover a stage 1 remap without being silly price wise ?

Return to “Audi Tuning and Modifications”