Google Streetview on Satnav RS4 B8 2013

Discuss common aspects of Audi RS and S tuning and modifications
NME
2nd Gear

Google Streetview on Satnav RS4 B8 2013

Post by NME » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi all,

Just taken the plunge and got my first RS4 Avant!

One thing I am trying to understand though, is how Google Street View is added to the Satnav. Basically, is it something which becomes active once you link your mobile device, or is it s hardware spec limitation? I know it has the 3G HDD, but was keen to know how it can be added retrospectively if not active as standard.

I have registered for my Audi, but as I don't have the car yet, I was trying to learn about possible upgrades.

Cheers!

doodlebug
Cruising

Re: Google Streetview on Satnav RS4 B8 2013

Post by doodlebug » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:23 pm

You need Audi Connect and then either a phone with SAP which will then allow the car to use data via your phone or a data SIM which you insert into the slot in the centre console.

If you don't have Connect then you're out of luck. I don't recall the Rs4 having street view, just google maps.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:29 pm

I don't see the point of streetview on the car. It shows you what the street looks like where you are. Isn't that what the windows are for?
I'm sure someone will say you can use it to see what the destination looks like but I've not tried that yet.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Yeah, you can view wherever, bit of a faff mind. If I'd pulled over I'd use my phone.

NME
2nd Gear

Post by NME » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Ok, thank you for the replies everyone.

I think that as I'm coming from a bit of an old school Satnav (S3 2011) without 7 digit post code entry, the prospect of having something as magical as Google Street View sounds like the best thing in the world!

So it is only available with Audi Connect?

Is there no way to connect a smartphone to the Satnav and use the SIM card data allowance outside of the Satnav itself?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:53 pm

No you need the connect hardware / software to use google maps or streetview.

NME
2nd Gear

Post by NME » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Ok, thank again. At last I can stop searching for what isn't possible then!

q7_Not_So_newbie
Neutral

Post by q7_Not_So_newbie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:45 pm

NME wrote:Ok, thank you for the replies everyone.

I think that as I'm coming from a bit of an old school Satnav (S3 2011) without 7 digit post code entry, the prospect of having something as magical as Google Street View sounds like the best thing in the world!

Is there no way to connect a smartphone to the Satnav and use the SIM card data allowance outside of the Satnav itself?
Network dependent, you can essentially tether your phone to your cars mmi. This will allow Audi Connect and Google Maps to use your phone connection to update Google maps and enable Street view.
But if you're a fan of using Google maps and street view in your car, then I'd strongly advise just beyond a data Sim and having it permanently in your car. You get better coverage and doesn't rely on your phone being present to work. Unless you’ll be streaming Netflix etc, even a cheap 2gb data plan should suffice.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:58 pm

q7_Not_So_newbie wrote:

Network dependent, you can essentially tether your phone to your cars mmi. This will allow Audi Connect and Google Maps to use your phone connection to update Google maps and enable Street view.
But if you're a fan of using Google maps and street view in your car, then I'd strongly advise just beyond a data Sim and having it permanently in your car. You get better coverage and doesn't rely on your phone being present to work. Unless you’ll be streaming Netflix etc, even a cheap 2gb data plan should suffice.
????
You can't tether and use Google Maps unless you have Audi connect can you?

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:02 pm

...and a phone which has SAP.

q7_Not_So_newbie
Neutral

Post by q7_Not_So_newbie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:24 pm

MikeFish wrote:
q7_Not_So_newbie wrote:

????
You can't tether and use Google Maps unless you have Audi connect can you?
Depending on your data plan. I have two phones. One is ee and the other is Three. I can tether my ee with no issues and the tethered data just comes off my normal unlimited data allocation. Where ass my Three has a fixed 1gb tethering allowance. After that's used up, it blocks external ip addresses.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:37 pm

You're missing the point.

The functionality in the car is not available unless you have Audi Connect. If you have Audi Connect you can tether to a SAP enabled mobile or insert a SIM card. The underlying data plan is irrelevant.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:38 pm

Yes you can tether instead of using a speerate SIM if you have Audo Connect. Buy my point was he was asking if you can tether to use Google Maps if you don't have Audi Connect. The answer is no you can't so he is not concerned about tethering. Unless I got it wrong?

Edit: Doodle beat me to it.

q7_Not_So_newbie
Neutral

Post by q7_Not_So_newbie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:28 pm

doodlebug wrote:You're missing the point.

The functionality in the car is not available unless you have Audi Connect. If you have Audi Connect you can tether to a SAP enabled mobile or insert a SIM card. The underlying data plan is irrelevant.
I understood the point. I was basing my response on the FA t he said his mmi is 3g high. Which automatically infers that it has audi connect. Doesn't it? So with that function being available, it's use and activation are then only dependent on connectivity. Which was what I was addressing.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Not sure about B8 but on the C7 3G Plus is standard but the Connect part is optional.

Return to “Audi Tuning and Modifications”