New Audi washing off salts without damage

2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 362 bhp
2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 395 bhp
RobRS3
Neutral

New Audi washing off salts without damage

Post by RobRS3 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Hope you are all enjoying your Audi's and sure most of you in the north can't wait till spring like I am to be able to get even more out of our cars . I'm sure the following questions have been raised a few times already, yet I'll be really thankful for any advice.

I've been reading up as much as I can on this topic and despite learning a bit, I'm still trying to figure out how to go about getting off the car all the nasty stuff they put on our roads here as we have long hard winters. I've been to the dealership a couple times lately and allowed them to do the car wash, but just learned their car wash is automatic and of course can result in swirls in the paint, so time to say thanks, but not thanks. I've read that purchasing a kit such as the Porter Cable 7424XP is a good investment down the road to polish the paint and stick to hand free car washes and what I can do at home when it is not winter season, oh can't wait.

I have not been able to get that real sticky salt calcium deposit off the paint using the hands free power washer at the local car wash and that is fine given it is still winter and driving it home from the wash, there will be more anyways, but at least it removes some of it. Once spring arrives, how can I remove the film before starting to use the micro fibre towels so not to scratch the paint since I'm thinking if any dirt is there prior to dong this it can lead to scratches?

Another concern I had was washing the undercarriage with the pressure washer and especially under the engine as I had done before on another car, after someone from the dealer told me the car's electrical system could be damaged. I'm under the impression the electronics passes inside the car under the mouldings and there should be not issues, and it might be a good idea to remove as much of the salt grime from under there at least once a month during the winter to help reduce rust down the road?

Thanks,
Rob
Previous: Subaru WRX manual
Current: RS3

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Re: New Audi washing off salts without damage

Post by DavidRS4 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:21 am

If you want to know about washing your car. Get yourself on Detailingworld. I warn you though, it’s a slippery expensive slope of addiction.
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

RobRS3
Neutral

Re: New Audi washing off salts without damage

Post by RobRS3 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:47 pm

Oh wow, lots in that forum on the topic.

Thanks,

Rob
Previous: Subaru WRX manual
Current: RS3

Return to “RS3 (8VA) 2015-”