New RS3 owner & question

2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 362 bhp
2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 395 bhp
RobRS3
Neutral

New RS3 owner & question

Post by RobRS3 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:00 pm

Just bought my 2018 RS3 and really looking forward to the forum. I've already got a couple of questions.

I'm having trouble finding how, while searching through all the menus, to adjust the sporty sound of the car when I've selected Dynamic Mode from the button on the dash. It appears to have been toned down and realized this as I had driven another one during a test drive a few days ago, where in Dynamic mode selected on the dash, the sound was more intense.

Should I allow the engine and turbo to warm up while driving in a lower RPM mode such as 'Auto' or 'Comfort' before I select 'Dynamic' to ensure the turbo lasts longer down the line?

Is it the same by selecting 'Dynamic' mode from the button on the dash as putting the transmission selector knob into 'S', or if I select both at the same time would it give me even more performance from the car?

Really looking forward to hearing back from you :boots:

Thanks,
Rob
Previous: Subaru WRX manual
Current: RS3

MartayMcFly
5th Gear

Re: New RS3 owner & question

Post by MartayMcFly » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Do you have the sports exhaust? Was the other car you tested pre-WLTP nonsense? Is the car in P when you changed into Dynamic (because the valves only open in gear)?

Technically, you should always let the engine and turbo get up to temp before booting it, and let it cool down again before turning off the car, but these engines aren't that highly tuned that you'll do any dramatic damage and the difference will be the turbo lasting to 200k miles vs 150k miles.

S on the gear selector is just for the gearbox (moves shift points to higher RPM), Dynamic mode will increase throttle response too. Putting the car in Dynamic will put the gearbox in Sport. You could put it across from D/S into M and have complete control of gear changes. It won't necessarily make the car faster, but might get a little bit more of a performance experience.
2001 8L S3 - sold
2008 8P2 S3 - sold
2007 B7 RS4 - sold
2006 B7 RS4 (supercharged) - sold
2016 C7 RS6 - sold
2015 8V RS3 Stage 3 - sold
2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:20 pm

MartayMcFly wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:45 pm
Do you have the sports exhaust? Was the other car you tested pre-WLTP nonsense? Is the car in P when you changed into Dynamic (because the valves only open in gear)?

Technically, you should always let the engine and turbo get up to temp before booting it, and let it cool down again before turning off the car, but these engines aren't that highly tuned that you'll do any dramatic damage and the difference will be the turbo lasting to 200k miles vs 150k miles.

S on the gear selector is just for the gearbox (moves shift points to higher RPM), Dynamic mode will increase throttle response too. Putting the car in Dynamic will put the gearbox in Sport. You could put it across from D/S into M and have complete control of gear changes. It won't necessarily make the car faster, but might get a little bit more of a performance experience.
Putting the gearbox into Sport mode will also sharpen the throttle and open the exhaust valves but it won't change the suspension or steering settings.

RobRS3
Neutral

Post by RobRS3 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:52 pm

Hi and thanks for getting back to me on my questions. I've since gone back to the dealership and they also helped me with my questions. Looks like both shifting into S and selecting Dynamic together is the way to go for best results. The sound is something coming from the muffler when putting into Dynamic and I cannot play with the adjustments according to the dealer and that is ok. My car is completely stock.

Thanks,

Rob
Previous: Subaru WRX manual
Current: RS3

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:59 am

FYI selecting Dynamic will always put the gearbox into S mode anyway.

Return to “RS3 (8VA) 2015-”