First and ongoing thoughts on 'Baggy'

2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 362 bhp
2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 395 bhp
josedebardi
2nd Gear

First and ongoing thoughts on 'Baggy'

Post by josedebardi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:44 am

So I've had a couple of days with my RS3 now, and managed to take a few pics, so thought I'd share initial thoughts along with them.

So the good...
The NOISE! OMG the noise! It's stupendous, and far better than I remember on the few test drives.
With it in Dynamic mode anyone within 100 yards will be under no illusions about what this car is, it is not possible to drive it quietly!
I have to say even in comfort it makes a fair amount of noise (I attempted to creep on/off the in-laws drive, but failed!), inside it becomes very quiet in Comfort, still audible and the same sound, just probably 40% of Dynamic mode.
It also starts up with a throttle blip and overrun burble/snarl regardless of the Drive Select Mode it was left in! And if cold the high idle is very loud for 30 seconds or so. It's really not a car to get if you want to have good relations with neighbours!

The POWER! The main thing you notice is how linear and unrelenting it is, and at ANY speed. I've had 300+ BHP cars before, but the RS3 just keeps pulling, it's very impressive, and you really have to be aware of the speedo as it doesn't take long to get round the dial! So far I've not gone too mad, just a couple of squirts to see whats she's like, over the next few hundred miles I'll continue to give it a hard, but not brutal run-in, for what should hopefully be a nice free-revving engine in the long run.

The LUXURY! Being in the S1 for a year, I'd forgotten how much I liked some of the plushness and creature comforts the SQ5 had. The 8V platform as a whole is VERY nice inside, and the RS3 with it's little extras like the mono-pur knee and door pads is fantastic. I love the red accents in the air vents that fold in/out as you pull the knob to narrow the air flow, just like the tail pipe of a jet engine does to achieve the same effect as the thrust is turned up - the A3/S3 have the same but you don't notice it without the fact that the flaps are red. A small piece, but one I really like, is the super slimline/sleek rear view mirror, and also that the auto-dimming button/light/sensor are no longer offensively large sticking out the bottom!
The noise inside the cabin is also minimal, very little road noise or tyre roar (considering they are 19s!), this is generally good, but will come back to this in 'the bad'...

The TECH! The LTE/4G Audi Connect is SOOOOO much faster than the 3G in my S1/SQ5 were. And the MMI as a whole is much faster to respond to inputs. The track pad makes it much easier to use, particularly when scanning around the nav map (not quite got the hang of left-handed text input with it yet though!).
Other bits of note are the advanced key is now much more sensitive and locks/unlocks much quicker than previous models, so you don't have to grad, wait, pull, you just grab and pull as if it was already unlocked.
The adaptive cruise is going to take some getting used to as well, I had it on the SQ5, but it lacked stop-and-go and would disengage at <20mph - but the RS3 happily comes to a stop, and if it's a brief one (up to 3 seconds) pulls away again, otherwise once the car ahead moves you blip the throttle or pull the ACC stalk and it pulls away on it's own - not sure I'll realistically use it much if at all for this, it's mainly for the long-haul motorway that I wanted it, but it's a clever feature all the same - I'd prefer if the 3 seconds stop time was longer though (might see if I can change that in VCDS).

The LIGHTS! The LED lights are in every way better than any BiXenon I've ever experienced. They have a slight blue cast to them, but the throw is amazing, even on 'dipped' you can see so far without dazzling traffic in-front. And the corner lighting is lovely. Very impressed as from what I'd read people didn't rate them as that much better than BiXenon, but I think they are much better and a very welcome edition to the standard spec. I also need to reduce the High Beam Assist activation speed with VCDS, as 37mph is too fast to need to go for them to turn on, it needs to be around 30mph for the unlit villages around here - I've done this on a few cars so presuming it's as easy on the RS3.

The B&O! Oh how I missed you! The Bose in the S1 was just not up to par (and cost the same amount!!). It needs a few hours to bed in, but I can already tell it's better than the SQ5 one, mainly because it's a less boomy space. The ability to set the sub as well bass/treble is a nice extra. It's a beautifully balanced system, with superb clarity. Even with the volume up as loud as you would ever reasonably want it you could still have a normal conversation with the front seat passenger without shouting - the only other car I've experienced this in was my 135i which had a Harmon Kardon system, this B&O has a bit more depth than that did so I think it's going down as best stereo I've had yet :)

And the bad...
Low speed brake squeal - Oh yes, it's inherited it from the Mk1! Only had it once or twice and very short at the final 1-2 feet of stopping and TBH I'm REALLY hoping it's while the brakes bed in, but we'll see!

Jerky gear change - Twice today on 1st to 2nd I noticed it basically just slammed it into 2nd, for no good reason, I was probably at about 10% throttle pulling away from a set of lights both times. Also twice today, in 6th, ~45mph come to an incline and the downshift to 5th (I made no change to throttle input it just decided it was needed) was also pretty harsh. Neither of these were neck-wrenchingly bad, but given all the other changes have been so smooth they stood out, and especially as both were under light load. I'm hoping maybe the gearbox program will learn over time as it adapts to my driving, again, we'll have to see.

Cabin Noise - so because the cabin is so well insulated, it means that 1) the exhaust is MUCH louder outside and you need the window open to really get the full effect and 2) you start to home in on all sort of other little noise which would otherwise be drowned out, like the A/C fan, or earlier on a road with some loose clippings (going dead slow so as not to flick to many up!), you would hear quite loudly every one that did hit the underside/bodywork. It's hard to truly call this a bad point, but it's something I picked up on!

Drive Select - it has the same problem as all the S/RS's seem to, in that after engine restart if left in Dynamic or Individual with Engine/Gearbox setting as Dynamic, on startup it's quietly gone back to Auto without any indication other than the pops and bangs don't happen and you have to cycle through the modes to properly engage Dynamic mode. On the plus side in Individual, with the Exhaust Sound setting left as Dynamic, this does stay put, so the only thing you lose on a restart is the pops and bangs, it's still damn loud!!

Phone Pocket Under Armrest - Handy net to put your phone in, excellent, make it 5mm too small to easily fit the iPhone with the RIDICULOUSLY large AMI plug on the bottom of it, stupid!
TBH this is an AMI cable design fault, there is no need for it to add over an inch to the length of the phone! A minor quibble, but annoying none the less.

I think for now those are my initial observations! As the weather has been so pants I've not had the chance to really do any 'spirited driving' and in all honesty probably won't for a few weeks until it's got a few more miles on the clock, so I'll save updating this thread until then with thoughts on that and after living with it for a while. As of now though VERY HAPPY! Oh, and I still giggle when I see the plate I got for it!

Anyway, here's Baggy (Panther Black paint, Black Panther in Jungle Book, Bagheera aka Baggy)...

Audi S8 D2 Nogaro Blue "Pace Car"
Audi TT 8N Cab Nogaro Blue
Hyundai Tucson Polar White
Audi RS3 8V Panther Black "Baggy" (sold)
Audi S1 8X Vegas Yellow "Bumblebeast" (sold)
Audi SQ5 8R Glacier White (sold)
VCDS Genuine Rosstech USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM if you want any coding/mods done in Dorset in exchange for beer/money :roll:

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: First and ongoing thoughts on 'Baggy'

Post by MikeFish » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:18 am

Nice review Jose. Altohugh black is my favourote colour for any RS, I haven't really liked the RS3s I've seen so far in black, but yours does look good!

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:26 am

MikeFish wrote:Nice review Jose. Altohugh black is my favourote colour for any RS, I haven't really liked the RS3s I've seen so far in black, but yours does look good!
Thanks!

I think because it is probably the most subtle looking RS to date (apart from maybe the RS Q3, which is frankly a disgrace to the RS sub-brand!), black goes even further to hiding the lines of what it is - I'm guessing this is maybe why you've not been so keen on the colour for it? For me this was a good thing as I wanted a bit of a sleeper (although per my review, if the engine is running that is just not possible!).
I do think Audi may have missed a trick though as I'm sure people who want to shout about what they've got will forgive the cheap interior and missing cylinder of the A45 and tick the option box it has for the MASSIVE rear spoiler!
VCDS Genuine Rosstech USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM if you want any coding/mods done in Dorset in exchange for beer/money :roll:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:48 am

It might also be that I'd only seen pictures of dirty ones or they had the silver trims. I saw an all black one from the front a couple of days ago on Instagram and really liked that one too. Maune they just need to be all black and clean to look their best.

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:50 am

MikeFish wrote:It might also be that I'd only seen pictures of dirty ones or they had the silver trims. I saw an all black one from the front a couple of days ago on instagram and really liked that one too. Maune they just need to be all black and clean to look their best.
Can't say I'm looking forward to keeping it looking this way!

PSB1
4th Gear

Post by PSB1 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:47 am

Congrats; loving the second picture in particular. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts especially once run-in.
Current 2017 991.2 GT3 - Manual, 918 Buckets / CS pack, Guards, the dog's.
Gone 2016 991.1 GTS PTS Voodoo Blue - best car to date, 2015 911.1 GTS, Carmine, PDK, interior pack, stunning, 2016 Carmine Cayman GTS, PDK + toys, 2015 RS5 Cab, 2012 Discovery 4 family wagon, 2014 Golf R, 2015 Cayman GTS, 2014 RS4, Sepang with most of the toys, SQ5, S4, S5, A5, A6.

Mav8
3rd Gear

Post by Mav8 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:51 am

Jose
Loving the RS bud.Some awesome pics aswell.
Shame its not a Noggy thou :lol:
Mav8
RS3- Sepang
Gone
F80-M3
B7-RS4
B5-RS4

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:53 am

Cheers guys :)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 pm

Jose, I was just telling my wife that she will probably need a set of decent car mats when her car arrives. Can you confirm what the standard mats are like please?

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:18 pm

MikeFish wrote:Jose, I was just telling my wife that she will probably need a set of decent car mats when her car arrives. Can you confirm what the standard mats are like please?
I've got the design pack, so have the RS3 embroidery - which looks stunning (and apparently the parts on their own are over £700! I can only presume to stop people from buying them for their A3's...).

So I can't say what the standard mats are like, but I'm presuming they are like what I have minus the RS3 logo - which means plush soft carpeted. We do a lot of walks etc and I'm thinking that for winter at least I might get a set of rubber ones save messing up the nice (and wildly expensive) ones.

anglia67
Neutral

Post by anglia67 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:21 am

Hi guys got to admit black looks great while its clean so I don't envy you having to wash it that often to keep it looking that way.
I've had mine for just over 2 months it's in Sepang which I think is stunning in various lights , like Jose my brakes squeeked very slightly on last part of pulling up but has disappeared completely know ,as for gearbox I've also noticed a few slightly Jerkey changes .
As for the sound it's awesome especially in dynamic as you reach 3800 rpm it really something else (the wife doesn't appreciate it)
Mine came with p zeros so should be a lot better than the conti's that were on RS4, also I think the wheels are very good & easy to clean .
Finish is typical Audi perfect
The mats are normal soft luxury in my mind they could do with some harder protection under the heal for my size 11s
Fuel ,my average over 2200mls is 28.5 mpg ,just done 350 ml round trip mainly on the A47 sleaford,Kings Lynn to Gt Yarmouth which is a very slow moving road & managed 34.1 mpg so quite happy
By the way Jose did you have tracker fitted to yours?
I'm a very happy owner . Anyway off to get my pension! Cheers

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:03 am

Good to hear your thoughts and that you are also enjoying it!
No tracker, I've got GAP insurance as I wouldn't want it back anyway.

Noggymike
Neutral

Post by Noggymike » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Nail. :sekret:

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:48 am

Hi all! Standard mats in mine which are very good just minus the RS3 logo ;)

TX.

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Get some day time pics up :thumbs:

Return to “RS3 (8VA) 2015-”