ABT RS3 in Audi Tuner

2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 362 bhp
2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 395 bhp
smudge
4th Gear

ABT RS3 in Audi Tuner

Post by smudge » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:14 pm

Interesting read, until I read these fateful words......
impressive figures for a plug n play system. It's undetectable by the main dealer (so long as you remove it of course!) and offered with ABT's extensive warranty
Why do people print this stuff? If an ecu has been fettled with, it's been fettled with. Code intact or removed. And that gets picked up, end of.

:piss:
It's all torque talk.

RIV
Cruising

Re: ABT RS3 in Audi Tuner

Post by RIV » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:07 pm

They only trick the ecu and over time are not that affective, so I have been told
Can't beat a proper custom map

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:35 pm

Was there any other info in there about the wheels etc?

smudge
4th Gear

Post by smudge » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:26 pm

RIV wrote:They only trick the ecu and over time are not that affective, so I have been told
You think? I beg to differ Riv. Especially when a world renowned tuner states clearly on their site - even when deleted the modification is done and thus detectable on the ECU.

MikeFish wrote:Was there any other info in there about the wheels etc?
Other than they're 9x19 ABT ER alloys with conti's (235/35) and a few web linkys (ABT & Richter Sport) no. There is a car specific config tool on the ABT site.....

:sekret:
It's all torque talk.

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:09 pm

You think? I beg to differ Riv. Especially when a world renowned tuner states clearly on their site - even when deleted the modification is done and thus detectable on the ECU.
I'm not saying it can't be detected, just that they are not very good
Lots of people have been using them on the A45 forums, to be fair not noticed anyone Having issues with these with merc yet, just unplug before servicing apparently, still crap compared to a proper tune

smudge
4th Gear

Post by smudge » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Ah, I think wires might be crossed - a remap and or any form of tuning is something that will be applied to the ecu. Regardless of it's quality it will be detected. Or at least, that's how I understand it.....
It's all torque talk.

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:23 pm

smudge wrote:Ah, I think wires might be crossed - a remap and or any form of tuning is something that will be applied to the ecu. Regardless of it's quality it will be detected. Or at least, that's how I understand it.....
+1

Even a basic check like a checksum will spot the difference... unless they have been very sneaky/clever and compensate for the changes in unused locations to keep the checksum the same (but that won't get round a more sophisticated check like a CRC).
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:43 pm

smudge wrote:
RIV wrote:They only trick the ecu and over time are not that affective, so I have been told

MikeFish wrote:Was there any other info in there about the wheels etc?
Other than they're 9x19 ABT ER alloys with conti's (235/35) and a few web linkys (ABT & Richter Sport) no. There is a car specific config tool on the ABT site.....

:sekret:
Thanks. I've just looked at their website, those aren't the wheels I was looking for, must be a different RS3 I'm thinking of.

Chippy
Neutral

Post by Chippy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:47 pm

The ABT box isn't cheap either - a little over 4000 euros :bash:

I was having a look earlier as thinking about selling my R8 and going for the new RS3 - Baby one the way :-(

Shinobi675
5th Gear

Post by Shinobi675 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:13 pm

An abt rs3 went past me at the ring. The thing must have had upgraded turbos and it absolutely sang as it spun up! Awesome!
996 C4S, B8 RS4, CBR600RR & a little ZXR400

Nige_RS4
Cruising

Post by Nige_RS4 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:04 pm

Isn't this in effect a blackbox that just changes the values of air temp and air flow etc.. to fool the original ECU into making more power? Similar to the tuning boxes you get these days?
www.speedcams.co.uk

B5 2.7t S4 - gone
B5 2.7t RS4 - gone
Ed 30 Golf DSG - gone
A5 3.0tdi - gone within 12 months!
S3 2.0 tfsi - 6+ years, but now sold
2018 Golf R 7.5

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:12 pm

Isn't this in effect a blackbox that just changes the values of air temp and air flow etc.. to fool the original ECU into making more power? Similar to the tuning boxes you get these days?
Exactly this!!

Nige_RS4
Cruising

Post by Nige_RS4 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:30 am

RIV wrote:
Exactly this!!
Well how can you leave a TD1 flag if you don't alter the original ECU code?

Either way, I think I'd prefer a custom map, especially after spending £40k+
www.speedcams.co.uk

B5 2.7t S4 - gone
B5 2.7t RS4 - gone
Ed 30 Golf DSG - gone
A5 3.0tdi - gone within 12 months!
S3 2.0 tfsi - 6+ years, but now sold
2018 Golf R 7.5

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:26 am

TD1 isn't only triggered automatically by the head office noticing an ECU has been tampered with (that is to say the flag is not int he ECU it's stored against the cars record's in Germany if they see the code has been changed/re-flashed). If Audi believe you have tampered with the car in any way, they will manually trigger a TD1 flag on the system.

That said, putting a tuning box on will not necessarily trigger a TD1 flag as the ECU thinks it's still producing normal power. So long as you remove the box without any trace before it goes to the stealers they will be none the wiser. Problem with some of the tuning boxes is they require the ECU to be removed from it's tamperproof housing to plug it inline with the box for sensor intercept - ergo they will see the tamperproof housing has been opened (note this is not opening the ECU, just the clamp that holds it in the car).

If you want to get away with it you need a tuning box that plugs inline with the sensors, not the ECU, such as the DTUK offering, it intercepts 3 sensors at the sensor end of the loom.

Having said that, if you want to be sure not to lose your warranty, DON'T TUNE! There is always a risk with any option. If Audi read a forum thread with you saying it's on the car they will use that against you should you be trying to claim a new gearbox or prop shaft... (and yes, they do read these forums!).
Audi S8 D2 Nogaro Blue "Pace Car"
Audi TT 8N Cab Nogaro Blue
Hyundai Tucson Polar White
Audi RS3 8V Panther Black "Baggy" (sold)
Audi S1 8X Vegas Yellow "Bumblebeast" (sold)
Audi SQ5 8R Glacier White (sold)
VCDS Genuine Rosstech USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM if you want any coding/mods done in Dorset in exchange for beer/money :roll:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:52 am

Shinobi675 wrote:An abt rs3 went past me at the ring. The thing must have had upgraded turbos and it absolutely sang as it spun up! Awesome!
That sounds like the one posted about on here last week with the updated turbos and 500bhp.

Return to “RS3 (8VA) 2015-”