marc1
Cruising

Mercedes response to the RS3...

Post by marc1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:59 pm

RIV
Cruising

Re: Mercedes response to the RS3...

Post by RIV » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:36 pm

A45 is cracking little car, can't see the rs3 worrying it too much, especially with its oil starvation issues

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:56 pm

Lol true. I did an AMG day at Brooklands yesterday. I did really want to take the A45 around the handling track as I reckon it would a rocket, but couldn't really favour it over the E63. Really like the outgoing 45 that you have, so can only imagine this is even better.

In fairness to the RS3, it does look MUCH more capable than the last one, provided they can sort the starvation issues. Lots of great not hatches out there at the moment, so should expect them all to continue getting better and better.

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:33 pm

A45 is excellent round the track at brooklands, tbh since I've had it nothing I've come up against has beaten it yet, some of the tunning packages out there are getting great power gains on the merc, some are seeing 0-60 in 3.7 not bad for a 4 pot, plus it sounds great!!!

Mr V10
Cruising

Post by Mr V10 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:07 pm

RIV wrote:A45 is cracking little car, can't see the rs3 worrying it too much, especially with its oil starvation issues
There was a simple recall on dealer demo and Audi UK press cars, I'm not aware of any engines that went pop or any issues - just a modified design , new cars do have teething problems, Merc are no different. It won't be an issue on customer cars delivered in October anyway. The noise on the RS 3 is something else, the 5 pot noise dominates the whole experience, no four pot could come close. Try one over a weekend, I really started to love it now I've lived with it, was a bit ''meh' when I only took it out for 15 minutes.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753PS, 1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon S-Tronic, Sepang, B&O, Tech Pack w/connect, 19" 5 Arm Wing Alloys, Comfort Pack, LED Light Pack - Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Spotted a nardo rs3 on the rd today, in East horsley tbh it didn't look great, didn't help that I had just gone past a c7

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:50 pm

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Awesome!!

RS6BRIT
3rd Gear

Post by RS6BRIT » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:42 am

Sweet Vid.

Must say I'm now very torn. We very nearly pushed the button an a CLA 45 shooting brake but at the last minute the wife decided she didn't like it enough. Now looking at the RS3 or the A45, I like both but I'm more keen on the RS and it's standard equipment level is higher. That said there are better deals to be had on the A45 (not least as my cousin is merc salesman).
That vid makes me want an A45, but last night I spent about 2 hrs watching the RS3 and thinking how awesome that is !!!
Decisions decisions. .......

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:44 pm

I was lucky enough to get an invite to the Audi Sport Showcase hosted by Camberley/Basingstoke/Guildford Audi today at Champneys Forest Mere near Liphook, and got to drive the new RS3, the RS6, the SQ5 and the new TTS. I also test drove the pre-facelift A45 AMG about 3 weeks ago so thought I’d share my thoughts on the comparison between the A45 & the RS3, purely based on test driving each car for about an hour.

Looks/Styling:
For me the RS3 just looks too similar to other models in the A3 range. For those that want the stealthy look that’s fair enough but to me it doesn’t look aggressive enough – apart from the twin oval exhaust pipes you can barely tell the difference. As others have commented, I don’t think the lack of wheel options for the RS3 helps…some different wheels could make all the difference.
The A45 on the other hand looks far more aggressive to me – admittedly the one I drove had the optional 19” black AMG alloys and optional rear spoiler, but those things make it stand out from the other A-class models.
Audi 0 AMG 1

Interior:
The cabins of both cars are a nice place to be. I’m used to the build quality & finish of the RS models but I was pleasantly surprised by the feel of the A45 cabin. The car I test drove had the optional full lava black leather (which includes a leather dash) and nothing felt plasticky or poorly finished. My only gripe is the MMI/Nav screen which looks like it’s been glued to the dashboard as an afterthought. The screen that pops up / tucks away in the RS3 is a much better idea and adds a bit more class. Not much to choose between them here, but the screen just sways it towards the RS3 for me.
Audi 1 AMG 0

Seats:
Maybe seats shouldn’t warrant a category in their own right, but the seats in the AMG are so good that they’re worth a mention. These are beautifully finished buckets which really hold you in – regardless of how fast you corner you cannot slide at all in these seats. They look the business as well.
The seats in the RS3 are pleasant enough and are very comfortable, but they’re not a patch on the AMG buckets, and with no bucket seats as an option as far as I'm aware the seats just look a bit ordinary to me.
Audi 0 AMG 1

Engine & Transmission:
Both cars are fantastically quick with pretty much instant acceleration. The power pumped out by the 2 litre 4-pot in the AMG is very impressive, and the 7 speed DCT transmission is good…but not as good as the Audi S-tronic. I noticed a tiny lag between gear changes in the AMG…not exactly much to worry about and pretty damn good overall, but noticeable nevertheless.
The RS3 on the other hand does not suffer from this at all. The S-tronic gear changes are truly instant – no delay at all between shifts. That combined with the fantastic 2.5 litre 5-pot engine means the RS3 has the slight edge in this department. I love this engine – it’s done me proud in my TTRS for the past 2.5 years and now the RS3 variant is pushing out an extra 30-40bhp it’s even better!
Audi 1 AMG 0

Noise:
Both cars sound impressive. The AMG lets off some great parps & grunts when upshifting & downshifting, but I found in order to get the exhaust singing the car needed to be driven hard. Under normal driving it's a bit too quiet I think. For a 2 litre 4-pot though it does sound good overall. The RS3 on the other hand burbles away regardless of how hard you’re driving it. Again you get great pops & bangs on upshift/downshift when you push it hard, but the sound from the 5-pot is deeper, more throaty…it’s a sound which I’ll never grow tired of.
Audi 1 AMG 0

Handling:
Not much to choose between them to be honest. I tried to throw both cars around with a mix of some fast cornering, hard braking, straight line blasts etc and both coped easily with never any hint of losing grip.
Audi 1 AMG 1

Overall:
On scores alone the RS3 has it 4-3. But it’s not that simple to me – car choice is about the overall package, of which looks & styling is an important part. If Audi were to bring out an RS3 in saloon form with even some of the styling they previewed in the A3 Clubsport Quattro then it would be top of my shopping list no question. I think Audi have missed a trick by only producing a 5 door Sportback version, which to me always looks like a halfway house between hatchback & proper estate. I’ve been an Audi fan for a long time, and based on that 5-pot engine alone I expected to really want an RS3, but there’s something about it that doesn’t excite me having seen one in the flesh.
The AMG on the other hand does excite me - even though the engine & transmission aren’t quite as good it’s still a fantastic fun car to drive, and looks the part as well.
If I was buying one now I think I’d go for the AMG…
Last edited by sevy on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Sepang Blue TTRS Coupe
2006 Sprint Blue RS4 Saloon (B7) - Sold but not forgotten
2006 BMW 130i M Sport - Sold
1999 Imola Yellow S3 (Revo Stage 1 265 bhp) - Sold

RS6BRIT
3rd Gear

Post by RS6BRIT » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:04 pm

Awesome review! Thanks very much for the insight, it's very helpful to have the facts as you see them laid out. I too am leaning towards the AMG to be honest, not least that I can get one in about a month as opposed to Dec/Jan as I've been quoted. To be honest I only keep cars for about 2 years max so I'll perhaps get the A45 now and then in 2 years grab an RS3 when the dealer contribution is higher and there isn't such a waiting list !

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:33 pm

RS6BRIT wrote:Awesome review! Thanks very much for the insight, it's very helpful to have the facts as you see them laid out. I too am leaning towards the AMG to be honest, not least that I can get one in about a month as opposed to Dec/Jan as I've been quoted. To be honest I only keep cars for about 2 years max so I'll perhaps get the A45 now and then in 2 years grab an RS3 when the dealer contribution is higher and there isn't such a waiting list !
Glad you found it useful!

Obviously these are just my opinions, and I've not factored in things like in-car technology (I was too busy driving the cars & having fun to faff around with the MMI etc!) or the respective prices once you spec both cars to a similar level, all of which of course will be important to potential buyers with varying degrees of priority, but if it helps at all then it was worth me posting it!

It sounds like you'd probably be happy with either car, but if you're wanting to change sooner rather than later then I agree the A45 is likely to get you a faster turnaround and you should have a fun 2 years with it! Good luck with whatever you decide anyway...

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:54 am

Good write up, I have to say I'm well pleased with the a45 it's a nicely balanced car. We went for the aero kit as I think it sets it apart from the boggo a class. Facelift model looks great.

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:38 pm

RIV wrote:Good write up, I have to say I'm well pleased with the a45 it's a nicely balanced car. We went for the aero kit as I think it sets it apart from the boggo a class. Facelift model looks great.
Thanks... :thumbs:

Exterior wise yours looks bang on my ideal spec - I completely agree that the aero kit sets it apart from the rest of the range...as do those black 19" alloys. That's where I think Audi could improve the RS3 offering - give buyers the option of styling touches that make the car look more sporty/aggressive and stand out from the lesser models in the range.

What other options did you go for on yours? Do you have the performance exhaust & the upgraded full leather interior?

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 pm

What other options did you go for on yours? Do you have the performance exhaust & the upgraded full leather interior?
Wife just went fully loaded :smile_smoking:

Return to “RS3 (8VA) 2015-”