RS2 porsche brake list

2.2 I5 20v turbo - 315 bhp
venetors2
Neutral

Re: Strange..

Post by venetors2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 pm

scillyisles wrote:
nilshenr wrote:
scillyisles wrote: Porsche partnumbers 965-351-045-00 and 965-351-046-00 should be the front discs - wrong the OEM upgrade kit gives you floating discs whereas these Porsche discs are fixed not floating.
The document states this partnumbers are for a one piece disc, why do you want floating discs..? I run 045.00 and 046.00 on my car, and it fits nice! :) This are priced quite reasonably from Porsche, and I would guess the original floating discs from Audi is a _little_ more expensive..

I also have 951-352-041-02 on my car, it's the version without holes.. this also fits. Maybe there is a mistake about the 041.91 version, 041.02 is ok atleast..

The list was created by Joern Amundsen, with some cooperation from me.. and we have tested most of the partnumbers I think...
There are several reasons that a two-piece floating disc assembly is of benefit. First, by using an aluminum bell for the hub section of the disc it saves a great deal of weight. Since this is both rotating and unsprung, it benefits the acceleration, braking, and handling of the vehicle. Secondly, it is better able to handle the large temperature changes that a brake disc experiences. During severe use, temperature variances become present in a one-piece disc and generally cause warping of the disc. This not only results in vibration of the vehicle, and pulsing of the brake pedal, but also pushes the pistons farther away from the disc. In a two-piece floating disc assembly, the iron disc heats up more uniformly, and the controlled float which is present allows for the differential expansion of the very hot brake disc, and the relatively cool aluminum bell. This allows the disc to be used under severe conditions without having a detrimental effect.

The Audi upgraded brakes for the RS2 consist of a fixed caliper (produced by Brembo) that is secured rigidly to the axle assembly and has opposing pistons that force the pads against the disc. Fixed discs are designed to operate best with a sliding or floating caliper which has pistons on only one side of the disc. Therefore, when the caliper acts, it must slide or float in order to bring the pad on the opposite side in contact with the disc. Nearly all original equipment calipers are of the floating type. In the upgraded Audi brake system with fixed calipers, not only is the mounting much more rigid, but the stiffness of the caliper itself is greatly increased. This manifests itself in enhanced braking performance, pedal feel, and pad wear.
I own the RS2 since 1997

I went in 2006 to big reds with the 322mm discs.

I used twice the discs from the 964 turbo (965-351-045-00 and 965-351-046-00) the ones you say they're no good....
I can understand all you said about the floating disc, that they're better and this and that..
But those discs were not used on a slow car IMHO..... that caliper it's exactly the same as the one used on the RS2 upgrade...
I never encounter any problem at all with those discs and they've been fitted in my car twice so far.
Also consider that the original equipment the 304 mm discs are NOT floating... but solid, are those wrong designed by Brembo also? They use the same caliper design with the same bracket are them?
Assuming this even the calipers and discs from the 964 turbo are bad designed by Brembo?
To go with bigreds even with solid discs it's to me defenetely an upgrade period
So at the end of the day if we want to be purist then, we can say that the floating discs are more "original" and perhaps more performing but to say that the part it's wrong it's a very long shot.

Stefano

P.S.
The bell of the original RS"2 322mm discs are made in castiron and not alluminiun, also if I have a bell made with a ligther material i rather go with hergal..... then "alluminium".

bam_bam
Cruising

Re: RS2 porsche brake list

Post by bam_bam » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:42 pm

kurtdaniel wrote:There is a reason everyone wants a Porsche.
FON.

Zombie thread.
No matter where you go, there you are.

scillyisles
3rd Gear

Re: Strange..

Post by scillyisles » Wed May 01, 2013 1:44 pm

venetors2 wrote: I own the RS2 since 1997

I went in 2006 to big reds with the 322mm discs.

I used twice the discs from the 964 turbo (965-351-045-00 and 965-351-046-00) the ones you say they're no good....
I can understand all you said about the floating disc, that they're better and this and that..
But those discs were not used on a slow car IMHO..... that caliper it's exactly the same as the one used on the RS2 upgrade...
I never encounter any problem at all with those discs and they've been fitted in my car twice so far.
Also consider that the original equipment the 304 mm discs are NOT floating... but solid, are those wrong designed by Brembo also? They use the same caliper design with the same bracket are them?
Assuming this even the calipers and discs from the 964 turbo are bad designed by Brembo?
To go with bigreds even with solid discs it's to me defenetely an upgrade period
So at the end of the day if we want to be purist then, we can say that the floating discs are more "original" and perhaps more performing but to say that the part it's wrong it's a very long shot.

Stefano

P.S.
The bell of the original RS"2 322mm discs are made in castiron and not alluminiun, also if I have a bell made with a ligther material i rather go with hergal..... then "alluminium".
.... and I have owned an RS2 since it was built specially for me in 1995 probably one of the few one owner cars on here.
I have been through numerous sets of discs and pads and upgraded my car to big reds in 2001, naturally I then looked for alternative sourcing of discs and pads as the Audi items are very expensive. I trawled through all the various brake pad/disc/caliper posts on various forums and in conjunction with my Audi dealer sourced the discs as detailed above from the local Porsche dealer. When they arrived they would not fit which is why I posted the post. Now either the Porsche dealer supplied wrongly labelled discs in my case or maybe your discs are wrongly labelled. In the end we had to return the discs to Porsche and order the replacement discs from Audi.

The points are made about floating disc benefits are fact but should not be taken as a criticism of non floating disc designs as also done by Brembo/Porsche on other cars.
Audi RS2 - the original

venetors2
Neutral

Re:

Post by venetors2 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 pm

scillyisles wrote:
alastairg wrote: Apart from the floating/fixed issue was the hat correct ??
Yes the hat size was correct but you cannot fit a non floating disc to a system expecting a floating disc as if you did you would get severr brake judder and impaired braking efficiency.
Sorry but it seems to me that my discs and your discs from the 964 where labelled correctly if I read the above message from you....

So eventually you did'nt fit the discs because you assumed that if Audi got the floating disc, on mounting a non floating disc someone will encounter the above problems.
Then i'm missing something here.
The discs from the 964 turbo do fit phisically/mechanically on the RS2
People that had used them (i.e. plenty on the RS2s in Grusch) never encounter afaik problems with them,me firstly using them twice with Brembo/Textar pads.
The RS2 hub and caliper carrier it's designed to used both floating and non floating discs as per the Porsche models where the system was mutuated from the start, otherwhise it's unexplicable why the 304 non floating discs are alright and the 322mm are not....

My conclusion it's then that your first assumption (quoted above) it's wrong because it's based on your thoughts or your preferences which I of course respect but technically the discs from the 964 Turbo do fit the RS2.

Seraching forums it's often an enlighting experience.....
This part number that can be seen on the hat of an "original" (they're all Porsche parts eventually) Audi RS2 322 mm floating disc can certify that even the 964 Turbo could have both: floating and non floating.
From the fantastic thread of RS2 America from Saltinot on S2Forum credits to him.
http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread ... ca&page=65

I don't want to look petulant but just precise here, people can save quite a good amount of money with the 964 Turbo discs
In Italy I can source them for 380 euros for the couple.... If I remember well this it's near or the price tag for one of the nonfloating original ones from Audi... OK they perform better but not double better!
Expensive to say the least!
The fact that Audi does not sells the rotors but just the complete discs makes it almost ludicrous imho...

Stefano

Return to “RS2 (B4) 1994-1995”