RS2 porsche brake list

2.2 I5 20v turbo - 315 bhp
alastairg
4th Gear

RS2 porsche brake list

Post by alastairg » Mon May 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Came across this list on Yahoo RS2 forum. Lists porsche brake part details including rear discs and drilled fronts (actually cast re big reds)
Could not upload word to here hence link to S2 forum.
Hope it is useful to all !

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9177
RS2 'an estate car named Desire'

scillyisles
3rd Gear

Post by scillyisles » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Word of warning to anyone using this list - it lists Porsche part number that do not fit.
I have OEM upgraded brakes on my RS2 and according to the document Porsche partnumbers 965-351-045-00 and 965-351-046-00 should be the front discs - wrong the OEM upgrade kit gives you floating discs whereas these Porsche discs are fixed not floating.
According to the document the rear drilled disc should be 951-352-041-91 Wrong again as this disc hat is about 25mm too big which would lead to some interesting rear wheel offset.
I wish people who post lists on the Internet would actually check that they are correct. I could now be faced with a restocking charge due to this incorrect information.
:roll:
The brake pads 993-351-949-00 front and 965-352-939-04 rear are correct.
Audi RS2 - the original

Lloyd
2nd Gear

Post by Lloyd » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:29 am

I also advise caution and double checking prior to purchase.

I too rather blindly ordered a pair of rear Porsche discs using part numbers form this sheet, 964 RS Rear Discs 951.352.096.00 £211.14 + VAT

They turned up, looked OK, but on fitting it became clear that the disc offset was way out. The bells were completely different. A 15% restocking charge later and having re-sourced new discs from Audi at £500 everything was back on the road.

Buying Porsche parts is cheaper than sourcing from Audi, but only if you;re got the right part codes!
Lloyd
-------
RS2+

alastairg
4th Gear

Post by alastairg » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:03 am

Apologies to all. It appeared from the original thread this was lifted from that the guy had done his homework after similar experiences with porsche bits not fitting. I also understood he had fitted at least some with sucess hence all the detail.
I will allow him to comment futher if still active. Must admit Audi seem to have use 'over a barrel' on parts. I have just spent a fruitless time trying to sort alloy backing plates for the uprated front calipers from Porsche with no success. You can get the alloy 'dowls' but not the alloy plate as far as I can tell. So £100 for a full set from audi. Why ? because the sticky side stops the pads from hanging on the disc and irritating me !!
On a final note I am sure some have sourced porsche parts with success. I will go back through all the threads when I have a minute to record all parts that FITTED.

alastairg
4th Gear

Post by alastairg » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:43 pm

scillyisles wrote:Word of warning to anyone using this list - it lists Porsche part number that do not fit.
I have OEM upgraded brakes on my RS2 and according to the document Porsche partnumbers 965-351-045-00 and 965-351-046-00 should be the front discs - wrong the OEM upgrade kit gives you floating discs whereas these Porsche discs are fixed not floating.
According to the document the rear drilled disc should be 951-352-041-91 Wrong again as this disc hat is about 25mm too big which would lead to some interesting rear wheel offset.
I wish people who post lists on the Internet would actually check that they are correct. I could now be faced with a restocking charge due to this incorrect information.
:roll:
The brake pads 993-351-949-00 front and 965-352-939-04 rear are correct.
Apart from the floating/fixed issue was the hat correct ??

Lloyd
2nd Gear

Post by Lloyd » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi Alastair, if you're looking for the damping plates I would suggest speaking to Corey at Quattronics. My bet is that he could help you find some at a very good price.

Otherwise, I suggest speaking to either Jasmine PorschaLink at http://www.jasmine-motorsport.co.uk/shop/index.htm or
Type 911 at http://www.type-911.co.uk/
Lloyd
-------
RS2+

SimonS4MTM
Top Gear

Post by SimonS4MTM » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 pm

I am, in the process of getting some new discs for my Movit set-up.

I have contacted various people about 965-351-045-00, some say it has seperate bells and some say it does not.

Can anyone confirm the correct disc with a seperate bell so that i can mount it to my movit bells?

Thanks
| RS4 - B7 | Phantom Black | Seit 2017 |
| S4 - B5 | Ebony Black | Seit 2002 |

scillyisles
3rd Gear

Post by scillyisles » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:11 pm

SimonS4MTM wrote:I am, in the process of getting some new discs for my Movit set-up.

I have contacted various people about 965-351-045-00, some say it has seperate bells and some say it does not.

Thanks
As ordered and delivered from a Porsche dealer this disc does not have a separate bell - it is a one piece fixed fixed disc.
Audi RS2 - the original

SimonS4MTM
Top Gear

Post by SimonS4MTM » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:43 pm

How about 993-351-045-00, I have seen these listed in a few places.
| RS4 - B7 | Phantom Black | Seit 2017 |
| S4 - B5 | Ebony Black | Seit 2002 |

scillyisles
3rd Gear

Post by scillyisles » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:31 pm

Update on this fiasco - dealer tried to order parts direct from Brembo who actually make these brake systems for both Porsche and Audi. Discs and pads arrive today but they are'nt cross drilled. Brembo when contacted admit that they make these kits specially for Audi and you cannot buy the exact same discs direct from Brembo. So you have no choice but to buy from Audi and this includes pads too as there are slight differences between the Porsche/Brembo ones and the Audi OEM ones.
So at the end of all this dealer has had to order parts directly from Audi - I suggest anyone thinking of doing what I tried to do bears this in mind.
Audi RS2 - the original

scillyisles
3rd Gear

Post by scillyisles » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:34 pm

alastairg wrote: Apart from the floating/fixed issue was the hat correct ??
Yes the hat size was correct but you cannot fit a non floating disc to a system expecting a floating disc as if you did you would get severr brake judder and impaired braking efficiency.
Audi RS2 - the original

nilshenr
Neutral

Strange..

Post by nilshenr » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:51 pm

scillyisles wrote: Porsche partnumbers 965-351-045-00 and 965-351-046-00 should be the front discs - wrong the OEM upgrade kit gives you floating discs whereas these Porsche discs are fixed not floating.
The document states this partnumbers are for a one piece disc, why do you want floating discs..? I run 045.00 and 046.00 on my car, and it fits nice! :) This are priced quite reasonably from Porsche, and I would guess the original floating discs from Audi is a _little_ more expensive..

I also have 951-352-041-02 on my car, it's the version without holes.. this also fits. Maybe there is a mistake about the 041.91 version, 041.02 is ok atleast..

The list was created by Joern Amundsen, with some cooperation from me.. and we have tested most of the partnumbers I think...

nilshenr
Neutral

Post by nilshenr » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:57 pm

scillyisles wrote:
alastairg wrote: Apart from the floating/fixed issue was the hat correct ??
Yes the hat size was correct but you cannot fit a non floating disc to a system expecting a floating disc as if you did you would get severr brake judder and impaired braking efficiency.
I know several people who run the one-piece version on Rs2's, and no judder, and the efficiency is "sehr gut"! I track my car when time, and still after nearly two years on the same discs, but on second pair of pads.. I think 6 trackdays so fare, with more to come.. :)

scillyisles
3rd Gear

Re: Strange..

Post by scillyisles » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:21 pm

nilshenr wrote:
scillyisles wrote: Porsche partnumbers 965-351-045-00 and 965-351-046-00 should be the front discs - wrong the OEM upgrade kit gives you floating discs whereas these Porsche discs are fixed not floating.
The document states this partnumbers are for a one piece disc, why do you want floating discs..? I run 045.00 and 046.00 on my car, and it fits nice! :) This are priced quite reasonably from Porsche, and I would guess the original floating discs from Audi is a _little_ more expensive..

I also have 951-352-041-02 on my car, it's the version without holes.. this also fits. Maybe there is a mistake about the 041.91 version, 041.02 is ok atleast..

The list was created by Joern Amundsen, with some cooperation from me.. and we have tested most of the partnumbers I think...
There are several reasons that a two-piece floating disc assembly is of benefit. First, by using an aluminum bell for the hub section of the disc it saves a great deal of weight. Since this is both rotating and unsprung, it benefits the acceleration, braking, and handling of the vehicle. Secondly, it is better able to handle the large temperature changes that a brake disc experiences. During severe use, temperature variances become present in a one-piece disc and generally cause warping of the disc. This not only results in vibration of the vehicle, and pulsing of the brake pedal, but also pushes the pistons farther away from the disc. In a two-piece floating disc assembly, the iron disc heats up more uniformly, and the controlled float which is present allows for the differential expansion of the very hot brake disc, and the relatively cool aluminum bell. This allows the disc to be used under severe conditions without having a detrimental effect.

The Audi upgraded brakes for the RS2 consist of a fixed caliper (produced by Brembo) that is secured rigidly to the axle assembly and has opposing pistons that force the pads against the disc. Fixed discs are designed to operate best with a sliding or floating caliper which has pistons on only one side of the disc. Therefore, when the caliper acts, it must slide or float in order to bring the pad on the opposite side in contact with the disc. Nearly all original equipment calipers are of the floating type. In the upgraded Audi brake system with fixed calipers, not only is the mounting much more rigid, but the stiffness of the caliper itself is greatly increased. This manifests itself in enhanced braking performance, pedal feel, and pad wear.
Audi RS2 - the original

alastairg
4th Gear

Post by alastairg » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:32 pm

scillyisles wrote:Update on this fiasco - dealer tried to order parts direct from Brembo who actually make these brake systems for both Porsche and Audi. Discs and pads arrive today but they are'nt cross drilled. Brembo when contacted admit that they make these kits specially for Audi and you cannot buy the exact same discs direct from Brembo. So you have no choice but to buy from Audi and this includes pads too as there are slight differences between the Porsche/Brembo ones and the Audi OEM ones.
So at the end of all this dealer has had to order parts directly from Audi - I suggest anyone thinking of doing what I tried to do bears this in mind.
Re pads the difference is 0.5mm thickness 17.5mm vs 18mm which is not an issue with part worn discs. I have just fitted without isssue 933 big red pads Ferodo DS 2500 581D. Great to be back using great pads. BTW 560 is the standard size RS2 ferodo code.
At least that works !!

Return to “RS2 (B4) 1994-1995”