immobiliser issues

2.2 I5 20v turbo - 315 bhp
dailydriver
Neutral

immobiliser issues

Post by dailydriver » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:04 pm

I was stranded for a few hours at the weekend because my car took it upon itself to lock/unlock only intermittently, remain immobilised so no starting, and alert every man and his brother to my predicament by alarming for a helluva long time. A few hours later I got it started and drove it home but then the same story there. I think it's behaving now. My concern is that I don't know why it happened and what I've done to 'fix' it.

Is there anywhere I can get definitive information on how the whole remote central locking/immobiliser/alarm system works, how to test it, and how to troubleshoot it? My car is a '95 RS2 and it has a Thatcham category 1 system fitted (so long ago now that the original installer couldn't offer any assistance).

Cheers, Alan

scillyisles
3rd Gear

Re: immobiliser issues

Post by scillyisles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:45 am

All UK spec RS2 came fitted with a factory immobiliser and alarm which is armed when the doors are locked. There is a flashing light to indicate this in one of the switch blanks in the centre console.
In addition to this insurance companies at the time would insist on an uprated alarm/immobiliser. Audi went to Scorpion who produced a system which was Thatcham approved , was fitted by Audi dealers and could be equipped with a comfort closing module which operated the central locking. The system comes complete with ultrasonic interior detection, bonnet switch, separate alarm siren under bonnet etc. My car has this fitted. The system can be disabled by a key switch on the alarm siren in the engine bay.
Touch wood, I have had no problems with the central unit but the bonnet switch is prone to not working correctly and if it is faulty then the system will alarm after the start up delay time which is around 30 secs after arming. Arming/diss arming the system is via RF fobs which can be set to enable/disable interior protection. The fobs also have a panic alarm button on them. The alarm autoarms around 2/3 mins after the engine is switched off.
I do not have any detailed wiring diagrams - there is as I said an alarm siren unit typically mounted in the engine bay and a small control unit which is mounted typically in the drivers footwell. This control unit has the aerial for the RF fobs. Most of the wiring connections are also made in this area to the fuse block/relay block which is located here.
I suspect if you spoke to Scorpion - they would not have much knowledge about this system as I think Scorpion as it is now was taken over by another company who assumed the Scorpion name. I know this because they also did another OEM system at the same time for Mercedes and I had problems with this unit on another of my cars. When Mercedes contacted them for details - they did not have any.
Audi RS2 - the original

Return to “RS2 (B4) 1994-1995”