Anyone running a cheap track car?

Organise and discuss trackdays and meets
FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Anyone running a cheap track car?

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:34 am

Trackday #3 – Brand Hatch Indy

Wet… again? Agh. Maybe I need to think about a second set of wheels with road tyres!

On the upside, I think driving on track in the wet is a better learning experience than in the dry. I think I learned more about the car and my driving (lack of..) ability in the last 2 wet trackdays than I would’ve in a dozen dry ones.

I can also see that the fixes and upgrades are paying dividends. I wasn't meant to be spending money on this heap of s*** but it hasn't really worked out that way!!

Suspension:

The ST XA coilovers feel so much better than the lowering springs and (probably knackered) OEM shocks. The previous setup was low, but soft and bouncy, and had a vagueness about it. The car feels much tighter now – the ride is firm but controlled and not crashy, and I can’t perceive much body roll at all. It also dives less under braking. Combined with the cookbots and some other renewed bushes, it handles like a different car to when we bought it. The instructor yesterday commented that the car felt setup nicely.

The rear springs were set to their lowest setting, and fronts adjusted to match. I asked for the dampers to be set ¾ of the way to firmest, and I figured I might have a play from there – but I see no reason at the moment to make it any firmer. Besides, I’d have to get the rear shocks off the car to adjust them. The camber is -2.5 degrees up front, and -1.3 at the back., achieved with camber plates and adjustable rear tie arms. I would’ve liked more up front, but would need to go lower to achieve it as the camber plates are at their max negative position. I like the ride height where it is though, as I can still get over speed humps without scraping anything! My route from work to the track yesterday involved taking every speed hump in south London!

Engine:

The power loss issue that we had on trackday #1 seems to have been cured by a custom remap. The previous map was causing really high exhaust temps, which may have lead to the ECU cutting power. We also changed the TIP, so a collapsing OEM TIP under boost could’ve been the problem. Either way – it hasn’t re-occurred.

Grip:

The haldex is so much nicer with the powertrak insert! It gives 50:50 split rather than something in between 90:10 and 70:30 as it deems fit. You can really feel it helping you out of corners in the wet where the RWD boys were struggling to get their power down. The ESP delete helps massively too – it was cutting in even in the dry out of corners, so I can imagine it being a real pain in the wet. On the downside, I don’t think the nankang semi-slicks are the best thing in the wet!

Misc:

It’s really handy having the LiquidTT gauge (plugs into diagnostic port and gives live data), and tyre temps in the car. The intake temps were getting to 50 degrees on track, which isn’t ideal, coolant 104, but the biggest thing it highlighted was that the oil temps got up to 125ish pretty easily, at which point I’d have to cool off for a lap or come in all together. It was the thing that ended each run. The oil cooler I bought didn’t get fitted (although the oil was at least changed to an ester based 5w40 Fuchs oil) as the garage weren’t happy with the supplied hose fittings in the kit I bought. They want to take the car back in next week and then take the hoses and connectors to someone they know to have them securely fitted.

Brakes felt good throughout with no fade, perhaps the cooler temps and TTRS ducts are helping. Most of all though, the fade was experienced at Bedford where there are a couple of hard braking zones from 120mph-ish, which is always going to be hard on the brakes.

Not to forget... the new OMP steering wheel is ace, and all the rattles are gone after I pulled some random clips and bolts that’d been left in the car.

I really want to paint the red roll cage and swap the seats. I shouldn’t though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:02 pm

I was waiting for an update :) oh man we got one!! Glad you happy with the car. It was always gonna be a learning curve no mater if you buy stock and modify or ready made "racer"
Regarding front camber, I don't think you want more than 2.5.
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

1781cc
3rd Gear

Post by 1781cc » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Good update Faisal, I think the oil cooler and a forge baffled sump will make a huge difference, glad you got on well with the liquid too. It's been invaluable for me and I always run it in multi gauge mode on track.

Regarding the NS2Rs in the wet, did you get enough temperature into them? I thought they were quite good from about lap 4 at donnington with a little tyre pressure adjustment (I ran more pressure in the wet for a harder tyres so it cuts through more.

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 pm

I got another 7 laps of the ring in on Sunday

17 under its belt now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:28 am

https://youtu.be/fES3BomJqBE

2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

1781cc
3rd Gear

Post by 1781cc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Not a cheap car but 8-o

lynchy
3rd Gear

Post by lynchy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Got Cadwell park on the 20thJuly. Done Snetterton 300 back in May ! Car was faultless and a great fun track
Attachments
IMG_0813.PNG
IMG_0714.JPG
Porsche Cayman 718S manual SOLD : :thumbsdown: 2001 black RS4 MRC remap,MRC filter,3" Milltek dp's ,Milltek catback, H&R arbs, Brembo brakes, PSS9`s coilovers, 413 fuel pump, Wagner intercoolers (490bhp. 517 lbs/ft torque )
2008 ultra blue R26 -sold
2003 silver S3 - sold
2002 black A3 1.8T - sold
1988 ford XR2 - dead

FaisalJ
Cruising

Anyone running a cheap track car?

Post by FaisalJ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:06 pm

Looking to do Snetterton on 24th July with MSV if any of you guys want to join?

Planning to do the afternoon and evening. 2pm to 8pm track time for only half a day off work

2007 RS4 B7 Avant

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:07 pm

I am at donny this Sunday for VAG show

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Oil cooler is in! 19 row mocal cooler with a thermostatic sandwich plate (which means cooler is only in play once oil gets to about 80 degrees).

Next up - trawling the web for a second (cheaper) set of wheels and some part worn (5mm+) continental sportcontact 5's to run in wet weather. Was really impressed with them in the wet on the RS, and they get good ratings for wet braking and handling in tyre tests.

With some good wet tyres, and the mods done so far to suspension, haldex and ESP, should still be good fun even in the winter.

2007 RS4 B7 Avant

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:33 pm

So I picked up that second set of wheels today...

17x7.5 Rota Torque. I see different weights mentioned online for these, but in the 8.2kg-8.6kg range so light either way! £330 for the set - pleased with that!

The tyres will be coming off and replaced with a set of 4 continental sportcontact 5 tyres I picked up from eBay. All part worn, 5-6mm tread, £150 for the lot delivered.

Don't mind if it rains at the trackday now!

2007 RS4 B7 Avant

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Good move buddy. :thumb:

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:42 pm

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:14 pm

Sweet

Keep posting up track day dates and maybe the stars will align and I can make it in my qS

I'm doing Donny 18/8

Return to “Trackdays and Meets”