Water in my footwell!!!!!!!

2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 380 bhp
SpeedJunky
Neutral

Water in my footwell!!!!!!!

Post by SpeedJunky » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi,
I am getting serious amounts of water in my passenger footwell. I think it happens when the car sits still, so what I am getting at is in theory it cant be a hole in floor, because this seems to be a serious amount of water literally inches deep I discovered today, so I am guessing this must be draining into the footwell from above. I notice the plastic trim on my passenger side window (Please see attached a picture) is not sealing against the window (the arrows show the gap) as the plastic screw that is meant to be holding it tight is f**ked so it hangs loose. I think my last mechanic messed about with the trim fixing my wiper motors.

Is the trim not sealing properly causing the problem? If so, where the f**k is it getting into my footwell? Or, am I looking at the wrong thing here? Just seems too much of a coincidence to me both the water and the trim issue being on the same side of the car.

Any help would be seriously appreciated as I have already spent one weekend lifting the carpets, taking my seats out etc, I thought I had left my window open last time and that was the cause....but it defo aint the reason this time.

Many Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
SpeedJunky
Audi Windscreen1.jpg
Misano Red - 470bhp
3' downpipes, Miltek, KSport 8pot front brakes, RS6 Callipers/RS4 B7 discs rear, ITG Filter

nevetsuk
1st Gear

Re: Water in my footwell!!!!!!!

Post by nevetsuk » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:02 pm

There is a common fault with the B5 as with a lot of cars and that is that the engine bay bulkhead where the battery sits has water drain holes that block up with leaves etc and as the water does not drain it fills up and then leaks through certain holes etc and then leaks into the footwell of the car. This has not happend to mine as it has always been garaged or covered up and i had been warned about this (bulkhead is as shiney as the rest of the car lol). Hope this helps.

SpeedJunky
Neutral

Post by SpeedJunky » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks for your reply, I will take apart the battery area tomorrow and see what I find.
Misano Red - 470bhp
3' downpipes, Miltek, KSport 8pot front brakes, RS6 Callipers/RS4 B7 discs rear, ITG Filter

SpeedJunky
Neutral

Post by SpeedJunky » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Ok, you were correct, so many thanks....look at the state of my grommet under the battery...!!
Audi Blocked.jpg
Blocked Grommet....
3 or 4 inches of water under my servo....
Audi Water.jpg
Water under servo

After a nice clean though.... :)
Audi Cleared.jpg
Cleared.....
I know my pics only show the grommet under the battery, the one under the servo was a git to get to with my hands, so I got the missus to get her hands dirty for a change....she did a fine job!!

So many thanks for your assistance!!! I have taken out my rear seat and front passenger seat now, lifted the carpet, now an overnight drying out process with a fan heater from B&Q! :)

Cheers,
SpeedJunky
Misano Red - 470bhp

nevetsuk
1st Gear

Post by nevetsuk » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:34 pm

no probs glad to be of assistance :)

gooser
Neutral

Post by gooser » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 pm

very useful photos - cheers

Return to “RS4 (B5 Typ 8D) 1999-2001”