REPLACEMENT SUSPENSION

2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 380 bhp
NICKH
2nd Gear

REPLACEMENT SUSPENSION

Post by NICKH » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:36 pm

All

As I have decided to keep the RS I am looking to address some of the tired components. Just fitted full new clutch this week and now need to look at the suspension.

The car has now done 106K miles on the standard suspension.

One of the rear springs has just lost the botom coil (common) and the shocks are tired.

My car spends 90% of its time on my daily commute over moorland roads so good suspension travel and a complient ride are essential (a track day biased set up would be useless).

What is the best replacement to give standard ride height and the best handling bias for B roads? A low and harsh coilover set up is completely useless over my normal route (I have fitted them to previous cars and wrecked the day today handling).

Looking at maybe - new OEM, PSS9, H&R or anyone suggest anything better.

Cheers

NickH

KiwiRS4
2nd Gear

RE: REPLACEMENT SUSPENSION

Post by KiwiRS4 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi Nick, I recently replaced mine OEM suspension with Bilstein PSS9s. When the guys at MRC were removing the rear suspension we noticed a brocken bottom coil. Judging from the state of the break, it had been like this for sometime.

I can honestly say it's now a different car to drive. Firsty I drove a few hundred miles on setting 9 (softest). Although a nice comfortable ride it was a little bouncy. Next was to see what it was like on setting 1 (firmest). I thoroughly enjoyed this setting until finding judder bars and poorly maintained roads. In fact it was so firm I could feel my spine compressing and impossible to talk or change tracks on the ipod. After a few trials I found the right balance, setting 3 all round.

Handling and tracking has improved substantially, especially noticeable on the firmest setting. Although I'm not too sure how much is attributable to the PSS9's as I had the H&R ARBs fitted at the same time.

So it's a big thumbs up for the PSS9's from me.

John.

Silversea
4th Gear

Post by Silversea » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Nick,

When I get round to changing my suspension I will fit the PSS9's without doubt; I had them on my previous car and simply couldn't fault the ride comfort and handling and this seems to be consistent with the feedback I'm reading on this and other forums when the kit's fitted to the RS4.

It gets my vote!
Just can't get the smile off my face......

scoobydood
1st Gear

Post by scoobydood » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:49 pm

I have driven an RS4 and an S4 Avant with the RS4 GMBH suspension. Only slightly lower (10mm drop if I remember correctly?) but ride was very good although never heard a bad word said about the PSS9 kit.
Facelift S4 with K04 + complete RS4 top end.
Eibach Pro Street S coilovers
RS4 front & rear brakes
Dyno 465/470

pcfnet
Neutral

Post by pcfnet » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:04 am

I would highly recommend PSS9. I changed mine for around 4months (together with powerfulex bush). during the first 2000km, the ride is quite a bit tough, so tough I was thinking giving up and change back the OEM one.

initially my ride height is adjusted to have just a finger, no matter its 9 on its setting, its quite bouncy still. so i reajust the height to have ~1.5-2 fingers gap, and the ride quality is much much better. The last thing I did to improve the riding quality is reducing the tyre pressure to ~30-31psi, it improves even further !

The road in Hong Kong is quite bad thus I must make it softest, at least for now, maybe I will make it stiffer in the near future. I have driven this coilover for over 3000km and I would say it is even better (absorb shock) than OEM.
B5 RS4 420Hp

Virdee Autos
Trader (Expired)

Post by Virdee Autos » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Go for the PSS9's if budget allows.

And yes as said ride height makes a big difference to the ride quality.
Virdee Autos ~ 07950-526592

Noggy Blue RS4 - 710N's | Supersprint Exhaust | RS6 Calipers/RS4 Discs | Aero Wipers | B7 rear wiper | Pioneer AVIC-F10BT | Alcantara dash | Alcantara headlining | 15mm spacers | Pentagon Tints/Supaglass | After-run mod | Carbon steering wheel | R8 engine bay caps | Brushed Alu plate plinth |

jprs4owner
Neutral

Re: REPLACEMENT SUSPENSION

Post by jprs4owner » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:06 am

I own a 2008 RS4 Cabriolet with approx. 80,000 miles. The steel hydraulic lines for the suspension have corroded and are now leaking. I am considering replacing the system with Bilstein monstruts, knowing it will be a slightly stiffer ride, but a fraction of the OEM replacement cost. My question is will the dashboard show an indicator light (like "Check Engine") if the DCR system has been disabled? If we ever decide to sell or trade-in the active dashboard light will be a big negative on re-sale value. Thanks for any knowledge on this!

kcsun
4th Gear

Post by kcsun » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:46 pm

What about the KW V3 as a comparison to the Bilsteins?

That seem to be a similar price

KC

hyfly
Neutral

Post by hyfly » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Getting back an old post guys.
But I am on the point of changing my springs because of an broken rear spring (an maybe shocks)

I have 3 options:
1) Eibach springs only
2) Springs + dampers (Bilstein B12? KW var1 or 2)
3) Coilovers KW3 of Bilstein B16 PSS9

I think the best option, also for budget is option 2.
Is there anyone who has expereince with these products? It my daily driver by the way, so I do not want thing to get to stiff.

thanks!

lynchy
3rd Gear

Post by lynchy » Sat May 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Get the Bilstien PSS9 or the K&W V3 can’t go wrong with either. I’ve got the Bilstien which I’ve had on my car for 7 years no problem
Porsche Cayman 718S manual SOLD : :thumbsdown: 2001 black RS4 MRC remap,MRC filter,3" Milltek dp's ,Milltek catback, H&R arbs, Brembo brakes, PSS9`s coilovers, 413 fuel pump, Wagner intercoolers (490bhp. 517 lbs/ft torque )
2008 ultra blue R26 -sold
2003 silver S3 - sold
2002 black A3 1.8T - sold
1988 ford XR2 - dead

chopper
Neutral

Post by chopper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:05 am

I have a set of Koni Sports that are made for the b5 S4 that I am planning on putting on my RS4. Couple minor mods needed. Has anyone else done this setup as keen to know what settings to use for shocks? Have H&R lowering springs as well, but will rather be using the OEM Springs. Thanks

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:48 pm

Can't help with Koni. I used the Bilstein B12 kit on mine and it is a good choice for DD duties. Feels just like OE at a reasonable price.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Return to “RS4 (B5 Typ 8D) 1999-2001”