what dampers ?

2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 380 bhp
EDDY,G
1st Gear

what dampers ?

Post by EDDY,G » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:02 pm

looking to replace my stock dampers ..not looking to lower the car but can anyone suggest the best package for fast road apllication ? ide ideally like to eliminate the crashy ride.. for something with more compsure over poor tarmac the roads ... any help would be apresiated !

blackb1ade
2nd Gear

Post by blackb1ade » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:09 am

I don't speak from personal experience, but you may want to investigate how the Koni replacements are (I'm looking into those as an upgrade - they dont lower the chassis but are 'better' than stock)

EDDY,G
1st Gear

Post by EDDY,G » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:30 pm

thanx blackb1ade will look into em :wink: anybody with any more suggetions ? would be appresiated !
B8 S4 red
335D TOURING 700nm. sold
09 V10 RS6 GUNMETAL
EVO9 MR FQ360 480/450 sold
04 rs6 black sold
01 noggy rs4 , short shift ,ottinger rs6 upgrade biiig break kit , bilstiens, no cats + mrc custom remap !....04 ebony rs 6 with.. tints and all the toys ! sold
e46 alpina b3.4 s..sold
e39 m5 ..sold
e36 m3 evo..sold
civic type r track bitch..sold

quattrosteph
4th Gear

dampers

Post by quattrosteph » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:37 am

H&R kit with Anti roll bars are not bad at all . 8)
Porsche 996 Turbo S Atlas Grey.
RS4 B7 Avant Sprint Blue. Sold.
RS4 B5 Avus Silver with MRC magic . Sold (Best car ever )
S4 B6 Avant Nogaro blue. Sold
A6 Avant Silver . 2.5 TDI .Sold

S4INT
4th Gear

RE: dampers

Post by S4INT » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:12 am

I've got the Koni dampers with stock springs, plus the H&R roll bars. When I was looking to upgrade, I wanted something to sharpen up the handling, but still keep some ride comfort. (I had H&R's on my S4, and found that they were too firm for me) The Konis will make the ride firmer than stock, but they are adjustable. Also, the front dampers are S4 items and the spring platforms need modifying to suit the RS4.

Its worth mentioning that all RS4's are six or more years old now, so even with low mileage cars, the dampers are probably past their best, (mine with 50k on definitely were) and a new set of stock dampers may sort out your problems. In either case, it's worth getting the H&R roll bars fitted as these make the biggest difference to the handling.

Hope that helps,
Golf R - with added MRC
Sprint blue B7 RS4 Avant - Sold
Ultimate Silver Nissan GT-R - Sold
Avus MRC 470 B5 RS4 Avant - Sold

derdle
Cruising

Post by derdle » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:04 am

H&R kit with Anti roll bars are not bad at all
The H&R kit lowers the car and is (in my experience) a harder rise than stock.

But would agree with fitting the H&R ARB's as it does transform handling.

Paul
RS4 in the only colour to have - Misano Red | MRC Remap | RS6+ brakes | H&R and Custom Performance Parts suspension |
Huge Grin :biggrin3: If you dont "do it now" you never will.

EDDY,G
1st Gear

Post by EDDY,G » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:29 pm

thanx for everybodys input.. looks like im gonna have to take a look at these h&r ARB,s how big a job is it to replace bothe front and rears ARB,s ? time wize ime talkin about ... again any help would be appresiatd !
B8 S4 red
335D TOURING 700nm. sold
09 V10 RS6 GUNMETAL
EVO9 MR FQ360 480/450 sold
04 rs6 black sold
01 noggy rs4 , short shift ,ottinger rs6 upgrade biiig break kit , bilstiens, no cats + mrc custom remap !....04 ebony rs 6 with.. tints and all the toys ! sold
e46 alpina b3.4 s..sold
e39 m5 ..sold
e36 m3 evo..sold
civic type r track bitch..sold

S4INT
4th Gear

Post by S4INT » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:47 pm

Didn't get my hands dirty personally, but I have played around with the adjustment since having them fitted. They look pretty easy to fit - only two brackets on each (four bolts) and the connecting bolts at either end to the drop links. If you are any good with a spanner, should think you would be able to do both in a couple of hours tops.

Mine are set soft at the front and hard at the rear - seems to dial out a lot of the understeer.
Golf R - with added MRC

Desmo
Neutral

Re: RE: dampers

Post by Desmo » Sat May 05, 2007 5:29 pm

S4INT wrote:I've got the Koni dampers with stock springs, plus the H&R roll bars. When I was looking to upgrade, I wanted something to sharpen up the handling, but still keep some ride comfort. (I had H&R's on my S4, and found that they were too firm for me) The Konis will make the ride firmer than stock, but they are adjustable. Also, the front dampers are S4 items and the spring platforms need modifying to suit the RS4.

Its worth mentioning that all RS4's are six or more years old now, so even with low mileage cars, the dampers are probably past their best, (mine with 50k on definitely were) and a new set of stock dampers may sort out your problems. In either case, it's worth getting the H&R roll bars fitted as these make the biggest difference to the handling.

Hope that helps,
Hi Saint,

I too am thinking about replacing/upgrading my standard dampers but retaining the stock springs. I'm looking for something less extreme than PSS9's or H&R'coilovers. Can you elaborate on the 'feel' of your Konis. I'm looking for a ride that is close to the comfort of stock, but has greater body control at high speed and without the slight 'crashiness' that I'm experiencing now that I've uprated the anti roll bars to H&R at MRC. Can you also advise model numbers/supplier? Thanks.

don
3rd Gear

Post by don » Sun May 06, 2007 1:19 am

I went for the 'fat' H&R roll bar upgrade and it certainly did dial out the understeer. Like others I set rear on firmest and front on normal.

I also did the replacement by myself, very easy job, just a little hard lifting up the front bar and only area you really need help. Otherwise there is literally only 12 bolts and simple undo and bolt on job. Takes about an hour max.

I've also been considering just upgrading the shocks to maintain the ride height. Had adjustable koni oil dampers on an old bm and the adjustable feature was very good, though rear damper required removing to do the adjustment. They've also lasted very well and can be refurbised.

dummi
4th Gear

Post by dummi » Sun May 06, 2007 9:15 am

S4INT how are the koni's plus stock springs at high speed, say top speed runway testing stability and track day stability. i'm thinking of this exact combo for my a6.

i would like to get rid of the sloppyness make it more responsive as can be, H&R springs generally the way to go to make an audi hug the road?

defo going H&R arb's, koni's shocks. just thinking about springs

sorry for the mini thread jack :)

S4INT
4th Gear

Post by S4INT » Sun May 06, 2007 11:01 am

Desmo/Dummi,

I have found the Koni's to be a really good compromise between ride quality and handling. Float and wallow at speed has gone - I can vouch for this as have the car up to indicated 185 mph a few times on the continent :D and I have tracked the car three times with this set-up. The last time was at Donnington, where I was keeping up with more track-focused cars and pulling about 115 mph through the craner curves... 8) I found that the steering felt a lot sharper after fitting and it felt more willing to change direction quickly, although I suspect a lot of this was down to the roll bars.

From a comfort point of view, it's definitely firmer than stock, but I've had two trips to the South of France and the Alps with my wife and 2 kids, with no complaints at all (although my eldest was sick in the footwell after a couple of hours on the Route Napoleon!) The crashiness that you mentioned has been reduced as the car feels a bit lighter on it's feet, but over a really bad road it's still there to some degree.

Haven't got the part numbers to hand, but you can get them from the Koni website, (remembering that they are S4 items), or contact QST who will supply and do the front modification for you. (It sits too high at the front without the mod).

If either of you are near Gatwick at any time, you are more than welcome to come and try mine before you buy.

Hope that helps,

Paul.
Golf R - with added MRC

Desmo
Neutral

Post by Desmo » Sun May 06, 2007 4:13 pm

Paul
Many thanks for this comprehensive feedback and offer of a test ride. I'll probably go for this set up on your recommendation, as you've described exactly what I'm looking for. Less float in long fast bends down to South of France, but still retaining ride comfort, which tends to be lost with the more track focused suspension mods. The only other option I started to consider was the Quattro GmBH, but I think they are difficult to source and others on RS246 seem to think they are little different from stock.

don
3rd Gear

Re: RE: dampers

Post by don » Mon May 14, 2007 11:53 am

S4INT wrote:...the front dampers are S4 items and the spring platforms need modifying to suit the RS4...
Are you saying that koni do not make shocks specifically for the RS4 and that S4 part numbers must be used when ordering?

How difficult is the spring platform mod, sounds tricky?

Anyone have any other options for damper only upgrades?

What about bilsteins?

LSWP
2nd Gear

RE: Re: RE: dampers

Post by LSWP » Mon May 14, 2007 12:05 pm

- think they machine a groove about 10mm lower than the S4 spring carrier groove on the Koni dampers to make them the appropriate length for the RS4. golich wrote about it when he changed to them.
http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNp ... ht=#171702

i was also wondering whats the difference between the bilstein dampers used in the bilstein Pss9 kit and the H&R PCS kit, are they the same items or are different?

Return to “RS4 (B5 Typ 8D) 1999-2001”