what dampers ?

2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 380 bhp
timba
2nd Gear

RE: Re: RE: dampers

Post by timba » Mon May 14, 2007 5:55 pm

I thought I would put my thoughts on the H&R ARB and Koni damper set up as have had it on the car now for a few weeks.

At slow speeds the rear shocks are sh**te to be honest any uneven road surface and you can hear the back end knocking away (same opinion as Golich I think) but once speed up they ain't too bad, getting a slight loose feeling on the steering wheel as the fronts go over some small bumps occaisionally, now don't no wether my top mounts need doing or not, does feel tighter than 60k mile stock setup but it's just the low speed (around town) rear shocks that really Pi** me off as it feels like an empty van at the rear sometimes.

S4INT
4th Gear

Post by S4INT » Mon May 14, 2007 10:06 pm

I'm really surprised to hear this timba - mine doesn't display any of these traits :? There was a knocking noise that appeared earlier this year, but that was traced to a drop link and no knocking noises since. I've had the Konis for over a year and I've been really pleased. I think you are quite near to me (Brighton??) so would be interested to meet up and compare at some point? PM me if you want.

Cheers,

Paul.
Golf R - with added MRC
Sprint blue B7 RS4 Avant - Sold
Ultimate Silver Nissan GT-R - Sold
Avus MRC 470 B5 RS4 Avant - Sold

don
3rd Gear

Post by don » Mon May 14, 2007 10:44 pm

I notice that koni states that the rears have to be removed to adjust them, which sounds like a pain. Perhaps they are not quite on the right setting?

don
3rd Gear

Post by don » Mon May 14, 2007 11:03 pm

I have been looking at the Bilstein PSS9s again, they are a coil over and 9 way adjustable compression and rebound. They seem to be a very reasonable price out of the US ebay at the momment and I've heard ajustment doesnt require removal of the shock. The seem to be equivalent to a KW Var 3.

The retailer claims to be able to supply any part number and has good feedback:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0121378098

I've found the part number here:

http://www.quadrantsuspensions.com.au/p ... ducts.html

I notice the part number for the RS4 is the same as the S4

GM5-8616

Can anyone confirm this, that they are the same part number?

ewill
Neutral

Post by ewill » Fri May 18, 2007 2:06 am

Same part number for PSS9s for B5 S4 and RS4. The adjustment is for high speed valving rather than low speed, so mainly for float versus crash rather than adjusting handling, and can be carried out without removing shocks. Combined with a 17mm H&R ARB on the rear, I find that these work extremely well. Once I got the right comfort settings, I found that comfort improved significantly over standard, even on generally poor Aussie roads, much less crashiness (there will always be some on 35 profile tyres!); and the handling is in a different league. Generally neurtal and can be made to oversteer on exit under power, provided you don't get on the power before the apex. The biggest comfort downside, and I don't find it a major issue, is the car does follow large undulations in the road quite aggressively. Overall, I would higly recommend PSS9s, but I suspect KWs are gentler if that's what you"re looking for.

dummi
4th Gear

Post by dummi » Fri May 18, 2007 3:52 am

just read your reply Paul thanks that helps make up my mind cheers :)

timba
2nd Gear

Post by timba » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:26 pm

QST have ordered some new rear Koni's to replace my rear ones (we don't know if they are faulty) so good customer service from QST and hopefully problem solved

timba
2nd Gear

Post by timba » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:51 am

also would like to say I wrote my first post after Autoglass had screwed up fitting my windscreen (for the second time) so was in a bit of a bad mood, having driven the car on the track and twisty bits, must say the koni's and H&R ARB's are a significant improvement over stock, just a bit stiff on town roads at low speed (I think it was the spare wheel creating the knocking noise) sorry to have mislead anyone.

chopper
Neutral

Re: what dampers ?

Post by chopper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:23 am

Hi timba
Can you recall the settings you used on the Koni s?

chunky79
Cruising

Re: what dampers ?

Post by chunky79 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:05 pm

chopper wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:23 am
Hi timba
Can you recall the settings you used on the Koni s?
I can't remember last week, he'll do well to remember 12.5 years ago!
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Return to “RS4 (B5 Typ 8D) 1999-2001”