SOFT WHEELS & DEALER NONSENSE

2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 380 bhp
JohnW
Top Gear

Post by JohnW » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:00 pm

I rang Guildford Audi within the last two weeks to enquire about wheels, as I have one cracked rim and another seriously buckled (it will not balance out...).
The answer was, Audi UK have 3 soft wheels in stock, and 3 hard wheels. Once the soft ones are gone they will not order any more, so hard will be the only option.

I wasn't aware of the option to change to hard wheels at any time regardless of condition - I thought this only applied if your current wheels were in decent nick. I guess it makes sense though.
Too many toys, not enough time

Contigo
Top Gear

Post by Contigo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:15 pm

It is if they are in decent nick. Audi UK will reject the claim if there is slight kerbing.
2001 Avus Silver RS4 B5 60k on clock, MRC Custom Remap, Sunroof, Bluetooth prep

2006 Daytona Grey RS4 B7, RNS-E - SOLD

2006 BMW M6 - GONE

andream88
3rd Gear

Post by andream88 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi guys!
I'm trying to ask for a warranty replacement here in ITALY.
Unfortunately, the dealer have never heard something about this issue....so every document/official letter by AUDI UK etc would be of great help.
If you have something that hasn't been already posted on here, please post it!!!

Thanks

Andrea
Andrea
Rs4 b5 06/2001
custom remap - KW V3 - Hotchkis Sways - ASP DTS with poly mount - 034 Street Mounts + Snub with bracket - Apikol rear diff mount and bushes - Gutted precats - DUH Fmic kit - 360x32 floating discs+brembo 6-pot at the front - 710Ns - OEM 18 Hard wheels - JHM shifter/linkage/spring etc - Podi.ca Boost Gauge - Powerflex Bushes - Afterrun mod -

Ransom
2nd Gear

Post by Ransom » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:47 pm

guys, took the very recently aquired RS4 into the local audi dealershit (colchester) to have the wheels checked for true-ness and a tiny zinc bubble on the tailgate. The service manager didn't even know about the 'good-will' soft wheel issue and subsequently said that Kevin Rose and the reference codes from the letters doesn't even exist!!!

Where do I stand?

TopBear
4th Gear

Post by TopBear » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Ransom wrote:guys, took the very recently aquired RS4 into the local audi dealershit (colchester) to have the wheels checked for true-ness and a tiny zinc bubble on the tailgate. The service manager didn't even know about the 'good-will' soft wheel issue and subsequently said that Kevin Rose and the reference codes from the letters doesn't even exist!!!

Where do I stand?
Contact Audi Customer services directly, and they can liase with your local dealer to supply replacement wheels.
:blackrs4: B5 RS4, MRC Remap, Milltek, RS6\B7 Brakes, Black\Carbon

Ransom
2nd Gear

Post by Ransom » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Got a call from Audi to say that my wheel replacement has been authorised and should be at my local dealer this Wednesday. Is it deemed ok to run to old soft wheels along with the new hard ones?
Audi RS4 B5 in black - Stayed standard for a total of 4 weeks
Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
KTM LC4 640 Supermoto

Ransom
2nd Gear

Post by Ransom » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:50 pm

Had the 2 new wheels fitted today, only 2 old softies remaining to bend
Audi RS4 B5 in black - Stayed standard for a total of 4 weeks
Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
KTM LC4 640 Supermoto

Tamster
Neutral

Post by Tamster » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:10 pm

I must say thanks to Paul Gould at Houndstone Audi in Yeovil. I was dreading trying to get a replacement wheel for my RS4 given the trouble some people have had, but he was excellent. No questions (other than asking me to check the part number on the wheel)...just sorted. Brilliant! Wish I hadn't bothered trying to get Somerset Council to pay for it now (it was their huge pothole after all). A long wait for the inevitable "no".

nuthintoprove
Neutral

Post by nuthintoprove » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Just got an 01 b5 rs4 and was getting new tyres, when i was told 2 of the rims were deformed , spoke to agnews belfast, told them the issue, and they said they were aware of it, bring the wheels in, which i did, but their warranty man said they had been kerbed and were therefore not under warranty, (i didnt get to speak to hiim, but the info came through the service manager)which if they were, they were well refurbed, as there were no obvious marks.....they did confirm the wheels were the original soft compond alloys. So is the "guaranteed for life" letter that came with the car not worth the paper it was written on or what ?

How can they differentiate between kerbing and anything else that obviously affects these wheels which is a well known issue ?

anybody help ?

SimonC
2nd Gear

Post by SimonC » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:32 am

I am in the process of having my soft wheels replaced with a hard set. Audi UK have confirmed there will be no charge providing there is no kerb damage (how kerb contact distorts the inner edge of the wheel is unclear?). They clearly scrutinise the history of the car and try to offer as little as possible - in my case one free hard wheel. When I mentioned that the deal with the wheels was explained at the time of sale, from an Audi dealer, they adjusted the offer. I have decided that it is time to draw a line under this before they further reduce the generosity of this "warranty".

Regarding refurbished wheels, the selling dealer refurbed the original wheels on my car due to some paint blistering and I have subsequently had one of these wheels replaced with another soft one without question.

I have had reason to contact Audi Customer Services on several occasions over the past 5 1/2 years and the standard of service is not as slick, efficient and "German" as it used to be (in fact it is much like Rover was in 2001 shortly before going bust). The fact that they feel the need to take tons of information they already have and then have a case manager launch an investigation in order to make a decision that was made ten years ago by a much higher authority is baffling.

Ruggu
Neutral

Post by Ruggu » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi Guys, I know that this is a old and possibly feeble topic, but do you or do you know of anyone who has had problems with bent/bending MTM Bimoto wheels as supplied by QS Tuning?

Ruggu
Neutral

Post by Ruggu » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:24 am

Has anyone had any experience with bent MTM Bimoto rims on Audi RS's. Supplier claims that this has never happened

nevetsuk
1st Gear

Post by nevetsuk » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:00 pm

I took my september 2001 RS4 b5 to Nottingham Audi for an mot a few months ago which they kindly gave me free due to Audi full service history which it passed with flying colours, i asked them to check the condition of all four wheels while it was in (i spoke to Audi headquarters first and they rang Nottingham Audi to discuss). They came back to me saying 3 were buckled and a case was opened. For some silly reason Audi wanted to check the wheels themselves so my car had to sit in the workshop on axles stands for 2 weeks but was given a brand new A4 for my troubles (not a bad car for a standard saloon). While it was waiting for Audi to come back to me about the wheels it had a slight oil leak on the left hand side of the engine which happened to be very small and coming from the gearbox casing and was a oil cooler pipe union leaking which they replaced the seals and topped up the oil and cleaned the engine undertray and parts it had dripped on to make like new. Anyway a few days later i got a sad call from Audi saying that they had scrapped all four wheels and are going to replace with new :). Not bad for £65.45.

drybeer
Top Gear

Re:

Post by drybeer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 pm

nevetsuk wrote:I took my september 2001 RS4 b5 to Nottingham Audi for an mot a few months ago which they kindly gave me free due to Audi full service history which it passed with flying colours, i asked them to check the condition of all four wheels while it was in (i spoke to Audi headquarters first and they rang Nottingham Audi to discuss). They came back to me saying 3 were buckled and a case was opened. For some silly reason Audi wanted to check the wheels themselves so my car had to sit in the workshop on axles stands for 2 weeks but was given a brand new A4 for my troubles (not a bad car for a standard saloon). While it was waiting for Audi to come back to me about the wheels it had a slight oil leak on the left hand side of the engine which happened to be very small and coming from the gearbox casing and was a oil cooler pipe union leaking which they replaced the seals and topped up the oil and cleaned the engine undertray and parts it had dripped on to make like new. Anyway a few days later i got a sad call from Audi saying that they had scrapped all four wheels and are going to replace with new :). Not bad for £65.45.

Result!

I wish Audi UK would do a bit more of this - us enthusiasts give them free advertising for the range!

S5 Coupé 3.0 BiTDi Vorsprung
A6 allroad 3.0TDi
T-Roc 2.0TSi SEL 4-motion

carlover
Neutral

Re: SOFT WHEELS & DEALER NONSENSE

Post by carlover » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 am

Im in the same situation due to buying an Audi and the tyres are completely ruined. can someone please tell me where I can buy tyres and get them fitted, I work various hours so if I have to get them fitted it would have to be at a convenient time for me.

Return to “RS4 (B5 Typ 8D) 1999-2001”