What a great car is the B5

2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 380 bhp
IchBautAuto
4th Gear

What a great car is the B5

Post by IchBautAuto » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:05 am

I've had a B5 A4 turbo quattro sport (132 Kw) from 2000, bought new. Obviously cars differ in their spec dependent on country of delivery, so this has a full leather interior, sunroof, 8 inch OE bolero rims and sports suspension. Other than that it's poverty pack compared with the RS4 and RS6. The base model from which the RS4 evolved. Whats it like 20 years on?

139,000 Km on the clock and routine services aside, it has cost me the equivalent of 15 pound in unscheduled repairs up to the other week when I added a pair of new oversize rotors, TT caliper brackets and front pads. The original brakes were still fine but the rotors were approaching legal thickness. Uber reliable, never even looked like giving me cause to doubt getting somewhere.

It is a surprisingly good drive under any circumstances, whether measured against an old or a new car. It's a lot nippier than the 132 Kw would have you believe, better balanced than the RS4 and way nimbler than the RS6. Low pressure K03 gives loads of torque, so it feels a lot more powerful than you would think. So, for those looking for an enjoyable run about, keep the A4 in mind. As a RS4 and RS6 owner and driver, I'm certainly never ashamed to be seen in the A4 and what more, also enjoy driving it.
B5 A4.jpg
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

daytonamart
5th Gear

Re: What a great car is the B5

Post by daytonamart » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:41 pm

Fair play to you, regular servicing/oil changes is the key here.

Also, the B5, B6 and B7 generations of Audis were heavily over engineered. Can you see the B8 and 9 gens about in 20 years time having spent nothing more than servicing costs?
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Re: What a great car is the B5

Post by IchBautAuto » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 am

Clearly love my RS cars and they certainly differ in the experience they deliver between models. The RS4 cries out for some improvements and just feels right with a map, suspension upgrade, short shifter etc whereas for mine the RS6 almost feels right as it came from the factory, new suspension and bigger IC etc are about my limit on that one.

While the A4 is stock, and surprisingly good for that, it would be a real all round weapon with 200 plus Kw. Just a matter of engineering out the almost inevitable turbo lag.

Agree the over engineering. A real bonus.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Return to “RS4 (B5 Typ 8D) 1999-2001”