Front upright

2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 380 bhp
IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Front upright

Post by IchBautAuto » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:56 pm

Just a heads up for those few B5 RS4 owners who pass through. With the C5 RS6 the knob on the front uprights is widely know as an issue with tyres. In the 7 years I have had my RS4, I cannot recall it ever being raised as an issue.
Knob.jpg
Partially as a result of the knob and partly through the front left Pirelli P Zero going out of round, the knob has abraded the tyre until it has cut through to the metal plies. The groove is evident all the way round the inner face but at various depths due to the tyre being out of round. The rim is concentric so no issues there. Standard size rim and offset (8.5 x 18 ET 20) and 255 35 18 tyre.
Tyre damage.jpg
You'd need to have the tyre off to see the problem and while it's now weaving all over the Shop when you roll the wheel, I drove it two days ago and it was fine, exhibiting no shimmy or vibration at all.

I have removed the knob on each side and fitted C5 RS6 wheels with spacers to restore the standard offset of the RS4 wheels.
Car lift.jpg
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

Return to “RS4 (B5 Typ 8D) 1999-2001”