RS6 RNS-E Upgrade Install

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Rich_C
3rd Gear

RS6 RNS-E Upgrade Install

Post by Rich_C » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Guys,

I had the RNS-E upgrade installed a few weeks back ... I was very tempted to do it myself but thankfully I had a friend who is an experienced installer to do it for me otherwise I'd have scared myself with the wiring side of things. Unfortunately I got carried away with the install and didn't take to many pictures to warrant a full write up however for those brave DIY'ers then your first port of call should be NavPlus ... this guide for an American RS6 was also a useful source of information ... RS6 Install

So what did I get done and where did I get the parts ...

RNS-E
Supplied by installer

Adapters
Sourced from Kufatec
You'll need one of these ... RNS-E Adapter
Plus one of these ... Antenna Adapter

Bluetooth
Used unit sourced from Kufatec which are no longer shown on there site.
Instead you could get one of these ... Bluetooth
Or speak to CraigyB who has BT modules on ebay every now and again.
Here's what a BT module looks like ...

Multi-Media Player
I originally bought a Rapsody RSH-300 unit (newer chipset but same casing) with a 500 GB disc, however, the Kufatec IMA (see below) doesn't control this unit at present as it uses a different IR remote control. It works with the previous generation RSH-100 and I think the RSH-110 - I've ordered one so will find out shortly.
If you want a one stop shop then try here
If you are happy to format a hard disc yourself then you'll need a RSH-110... plus you'll need a hard disc - for the price I fitted 500 GB.
Alternately you could buy a package deal including IMA direct from Kufatec

Multi-Media Interface
I sourced my adapter module from Kufatec ... IMA
This new design is able to control the media player via the controls on the RNS-E head unit ... although I'm not sure if it is possible to switch the Rapsody unit on or off via the head unit - I haven't figured out how to do it if that is the case.
Here's what the IMA looked like ...

So for starters here's a shot of the old and new units side-by-side ... Image

And here's some shots part way through the install ...

RNS-D out ...

Empty Gap ...

Glovebox out ...

Instrument cluster out ...

I must confess it was a bit scarey in places just given the sheer number of wires sticking out - at one point I actually wondered where all the bits came from and if they'd actually all go back together again. The RNS-E head unit install went quite well although a bit nerve racking seeing cables being spliced.

The bluetooth install was a bit of a pain when trying to run the microphone up under the window pillar trim. The glovebox need to be out to fix the bluetooth module against the bulkhead. We then had to run the microphone cable all the way up the windscreen pillar under the alacantra trim. The only problem is the trim refused to come off even with a fair amount of persuasion ... we wimped out pushing any harder for fear of snapping any retaining clips. In the end we resorted to using an old coat hanger stretched out and bent into shape and an old bit of 3 core cable I had lying about. Problem is you have to contend with the curtain air bags as well. Once the microphoe cable is up the pillar it's relatively easy to run it across to the light cluster. You'll need a new light cluster cover to get the slits for the microphone but these are only £23 from Audi.

RNS-E going in ...

And the final installed product ...

Radio screen ...

CD Screen ...

Nav Screen ...

Phone Screen ...

Media Player installed in glovebox with output shown on RNS-E screen ...

And finally a moving being played ...
... it's the start of American Pie for all you film buffs.

So after a couple of weeks driving around with the new unit installed I'm very impressed ... so much so I'm actually wondering why I didn't get it done sooner. The whole unit looks much more modern and lifts the interior quite significantly. The actual operation is slicker when changing radio stations or CD's although it's littler harder navigating around menu's mainly because of the greater number of sub-menu's / functions you can access. I quite like the fact all the controls are on the right hand side of the unit so you don't need to stretch across to change volume or change cd track. I also like that you can go to whatever menu you want via the bottom row of buttons rather than having to toggle through the TV, CD, Radio options.

I'm not sure what else to write so I'll leave it there - will try to answer any questions but I am far from an expert on the install side of things.

Thanks for reading.

Rich.
The Present ...
C7 RS6 Avant - Estoril Blue - everything bar B&O - Akrapovic only upgrade (... so far)

The Past ...
C6 RS6 Saloon - Phantom Black - lots of factory extras but no tuning.
C5 RS6 Saloon - Daytona with black Interior - Full Milltek with 100 cpsi cats - AMD Remap - Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers - MTM Bimoto's - Phaeton Brake Upgrade - RNS-E + Bluetooth + Multi-media player + Phatbox
911 (996) Turbo - X50 - Aerokit - PCCB

Wolverine
3rd Gear

RE: RS6 RNS-E Upgrade Install

Post by Wolverine » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:41 pm

Another great write up !

Think you need to buy some LCD cleaner/wipes though !! :)

Also, looks like you haven't got the latest 2007 TMC disk as the TMC icon seems to be crossed out .... I would get it soon as the free upgrade lasts only until 30th June. You may need to try one or more dealers though, as some may not provide the free updates on retrofit units.

I have a question ..... how does the Rhapsody compare in sound quality compared to the phatbox ? And are you still using the phatbox ?
Last edited by Wolverine on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSVI
5th Gear

Post by RSVI » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:45 pm

Nice one, wish i could get that.

Keep spending money on other things.

:twisted: Jealous :twisted:
Image Image Image

Shaggy
2nd Gear

Post by Shaggy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:29 pm

What he said ^^^^^^^
Lee "Shaggy" Shand

GardinerG
Top Gear

Post by GardinerG » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:32 pm

What he said ^^^^^^^
Ditto. :thumb:

RSVI
5th Gear

Post by RSVI » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:57 pm

And as wolverine said, get some screen cleaner ;)
Image Image Image

Rich_C
3rd Gear

Re: RE: RS6 RNS-E Upgrade Install

Post by Rich_C » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:03 pm

Wolverine wrote: Think you need to buy some LCD cleaner/wipes though !! :)
Agree ... pictures were taken on the same day as the install but all cleaned up now.
Wolverine wrote: Also, looks like you haven't got the latest 2007 TMC disk as the TMC icon seems to be crossed out .... I would get it soon as the free upgrade lasts only until 30th June. You may need to try one or more dealers though, as some may not provide the free updates on retrofit units.
Very observant Wolverine ... the car actually went in to Audi on the following day for the 2007 DVD upgrade. Proved to be a bit of a battle to get it in the end and required intervention from Tom Peterkin to get it authorised. My local dealership were adamant that a £100 charge was applicable (confusing RNS-E with MMI) ... in the end there was no charge for the 5 minutes it took the 550 firmware to install.
Wolverine wrote: I have a question ..... how does the Rhapsody compare in sound quality compared to the phatbox ? And are you still using the phatbox ?
I'm still using the phatbox and have the Rapsody unit purely for movies rather than mp3's so can't really comment ... the audio on the movies seems clear enough.

Rich.
The Present ...
C7 RS6 Avant - Estoril Blue - everything bar B&O - Akrapovic only upgrade (... so far)

The Past ...
C6 RS6 Saloon - Phantom Black - lots of factory extras but no tuning.
C5 RS6 Saloon - Daytona with black Interior - Full Milltek with 100 cpsi cats - AMD Remap - Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers - MTM Bimoto's - Phaeton Brake Upgrade - RNS-E + Bluetooth + Multi-media player + Phatbox
911 (996) Turbo - X50 - Aerokit - PCCB

skiwi
4th Gear

RE: Re: RE: RS6 RNS-E Upgrade Install

Post by skiwi » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:58 am

nice writeup.

i've done this upgrade myself, if that is any confidence booster to others thinking about this upgrade. i haven't done the media player upgrade though, but did wire in an ipod, and a valentine v1 unit into the can-bus wiring that i exposed as part of the upgrade.

i'm keen to know how much people actually watch the movies, and whether they have disabled the gala interface?

MugelloR
3rd Gear

Re: RE: RS6 RNS-E Upgrade Install

Post by MugelloR » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:30 pm

Rich_C wrote:
Wolverine wrote: Think you need to buy some LCD cleaner/wipes though !! :)
Agree ... pictures were taken on the same day as the install but all cleaned up now.
Wolverine wrote: Also, looks like you haven't got the latest 2007 TMC disk as the TMC icon seems to be crossed out .... I would get it soon as the free upgrade lasts only until 30th June. You may need to try one or more dealers though, as some may not provide the free updates on retrofit units.
Very observant Wolverine ... the car actually went in to Audi on the following day for the 2007 DVD upgrade. Proved to be a bit of a battle to get it in the end and required intervention from Tom Peterkin to get it authorised. My local dealership were adamant that a £100 charge was applicable (confusing RNS-E with MMI) ... in the end there was no charge for the 5 minutes it took the 550 firmware to install.
Wolverine wrote: I have a question ..... how does the Rhapsody compare in sound quality compared to the phatbox ? And are you still using the phatbox ?
I'm still using the phatbox and have the Rapsody unit purely for movies rather than mp3's so can't really comment ... the audio on the movies seems clear enough.

Rich.
Reminder for Rich.....Must spoil wifey a tad this weekend so that she doesn't feel neglected!!! :lol:
einer: Nogaro Blue B6 S4
zwei: Mugello Blue C5 RS6
drei: Magnetite C63 AMG
vier: Ibis White RS5
fünf: Phantom Black B7 RS4 - Currently

grizz
Cruising

RE: Re: RE: RS6 RNS-E Upgrade Install

Post by grizz » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:42 pm

I fitted mine this weekend as well , managed to get a 2007 disc out the back door as my local dealer would not give me one , next up is the blue tooth..
Unit 20
0151 3366888
The northwest's only dedicated 'RS' repair centre.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/unit-20/104343529619713

Virdee Autos
Trader (Expired)

Re: RE: Re: RE: RS6 RNS-E Upgrade Install

Post by Virdee Autos » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:10 pm

grizz wrote:I fitted mine this weekend as well , managed to get a 2007 disc out the back door as my local dealer would not give me one , next up is the blue tooth..
Is the dealer still required with a 2007 disc(?), i.e. to activate the TMC?
Virdee Autos ~ 07950-526592

Noggy Blue RS4 - 710N's | Supersprint Exhaust | RS6 Calipers/RS4 Discs | Aero Wipers | B7 rear wiper | Pioneer AVIC-F10BT | Alcantara dash | Alcantara headlining | 15mm spacers | Pentagon Tints/Supaglass | After-run mod | Carbon steering wheel | R8 engine bay caps | Brushed Alu plate plinth |

MugelloR
3rd Gear

Post by MugelloR » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Rich dude, excellent review of classic install!!! :lol: :lol:
einer: Nogaro Blue B6 S4
zwei: Mugello Blue C5 RS6
drei: Magnetite C63 AMG
vier: Ibis White RS5
fünf: Phantom Black B7 RS4 - Currently

SteveH
Top Gear

Post by SteveH » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:45 pm

Marvellous... will have to put RNS-E off for a while as this week I've committed to new tyres and a front end and rear arches respray :sekret:
Present:...
Lotus Evora GT410 Sport, Caterham 420R, CCM Spitfire, VW T2 Bay Window 1976

Past:
DB11 AMR, 992, 991.2, Yamaha MT01, 640d Gran Coupe, 635d Coupe, RS6 C5, Audi TT 225 Coupe, Astra with wind up windows, Citroen ZX, Rover 213, yes behold, a Rover 213... Renault 5

marmite
4th Gear

Post by marmite » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:54 pm

Looking good mate

I need to pull my finger out and fit my toys
Got a 6 Disc DVD Changer to fit in mine, 2 headrest screens freeview box, slim line PS2(might leave that out as never used it last time) :-(

already got Phatnoise

I fitted a mini PC into my mates S8 with Wireless keyboard and mouse
that worked really well, he used his mobile as a modem and got Internet on the move
03 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey | Milltek | RS6+ Wheels | RS6 Mats | Tesco Club Card Points

GardinerG
Top Gear

Post by GardinerG » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:13 am

he used his mobile as a modem and got Internet on the move
Surely that's got to be worse than watching the TV or using a mobile phone :lol: Or was the keyboard built into the steering wheel?

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”