Clutch Pedal Switch Noise

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
PeteS4
2nd Gear

Clutch Pedal Switch Noise

Post by PeteS4 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:47 pm

My car was in for a service and a few other bits & bobs the other week. Prior to this I had noticed that the when the clutch pedal is depressed and nears being fully extended, there was a clicking noise. The dealer replaced one of the clutch pedal switches, I believe the one for cruise control. When I picked up the car, it appeared to be fine for a short while and then I noticed the noise again. The car is back in today and he reported back that they replaced the switch again, but the noise is still there. He also said they had another RS4 in the garage and it was the same.

Obviously when music is playing you can't hear it, but when you just want to enjoy the V8 soundtrack, then the noise is quite annoying. I am almost 100% sure that it was not there before.

Just wanted to check if the noise is normal? During the cluitch pedal depressing action when the car is stationery with engine off, do you get any strange noises from the clutch pedal area.

By the way, they gave me an A5 cab overnight. Very nice motor. First time I have ever driven a cab with the roof down. Pretty different experience!

Cheers
B8 S4 Black PreFL Avant
Previous: B7 RS4 Sprint Avant, BMW Z4 3.0 Coupe, TT MK2 3.2, TT MK1 225 Coupe, B5 S4 Avant

Timster
Cruising

Re: Clutch Pedal Switch Noise

Post by Timster » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:05 am

It's not your clutch pedal just clipping the foot-rest slightly, is it?

It took three stealer visits and a new foot-rest bracket before we finally stopped it happening on mine.
VW Toe-rag V6 R-line.... no curry hooks...wtf ?
Gone: Avus Avant B7 RS4.... plus curry hooks !

DazN
4th Gear

Post by DazN » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:29 am

You have 2 switches on the clutch pedal:-

1st one sits right at the top and is therefore pressed when the clutch is out, this enables cruise control
2nd one is at the very bottom of the clutch and presses in when you push the clutch to the floor, this one AFAIK is only used to ensure you have the clutch in when you press the start button.

If the top switch fails you can't enable cruise control.

If the bottom switch fails when you press the clutch in you have to hold the start button for a good 4-5 seconds to start the engine.

They are £15 each to buy and very, very simple to replace.

You can find the switches by locating the metal plates on the clutch pedal metal arm, the are lined up with the top and bottom switches.

Now that's not the question you asked but there's what clutch switches do!!!
Audi S4 (B9)
--------
Gone:
C63 Coupe (2014)
Audi S4 (B8)
BMW M3 (E90)
Audi RS4 (B7)
BMW M5 (E60)
BMW M3 (E46)

davectr
2nd Gear

Post by davectr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:53 pm

DazN wrote:You have 2 switches on the clutch pedal:-

You can find the switches by locating the metal plates on the clutch pedal metal arm, the are lined up with the top and bottom switches.
How do you remove the lower facia surrounding the pedals :oops: , i removed the two screw fastners but it was reluctant to come out so i was wary about pulling too hard.

Cheers

DazN
4th Gear

Post by DazN » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:58 am

Remove the panel at the side where the fuses are, there's some screws in there you need to remove, then it should just drop down?
Audi S4 (B9)
--------
Gone:
C63 Coupe (2014)
Audi S4 (B8)
BMW M3 (E90)
Audi RS4 (B7)
BMW M5 (E60)
BMW M3 (E46)

davectr
2nd Gear

Post by davectr » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Cheers Daz, found that this morning. I'll just go and bury my head in shame now :oops:

Golich
Top Gear

Post by Golich » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Yeah mine clicks too, but it never used to. I reported it,but they couldn't fix it. They said it was just the switch. Now having read this I know there are two. I can feel mine click as well as hear it. But everything is working fine.

PeteS4
2nd Gear

Post by PeteS4 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:30 am

The dealer replaced the switch again and it is the same. Apparently, the design of the switch was changed a few years ago due to a high number of faults with the original design.

Upon further investigation by myself, I feel that the noise happens just as the pedal extends fully to it's normal position. I believe it is not the switch, but something else. The noise is worse is when you depress the pedal, holding it about an inch before being fully extended. Hold it for a few seconds, then release the pedal fully. The clicking noise is more pronouned.

The dealer said that it is normal :audibash:
B8 S4 Black PreFL Avant
Previous: B7 RS4 Sprint Avant, BMW Z4 3.0 Coupe, TT MK2 3.2, TT MK1 225 Coupe, B5 S4 Avant

davectr
2nd Gear

Post by davectr » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:51 pm

I noticed when i've just changed both my switches that the lower one (pedal depressed) was clicking and staying in but when removed went in and out freely. Refit and twisted the switch round slightly in its mount and now fine. Don't know if this is the same noise you are hearing but its worth trying to just rotate it slightly in the mount to see if it stops the noise :thumbs:

DazN
4th Gear

Post by DazN » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Press them by hand (ie without the clutch pedal) and see if you get the same noise?

They are a 'snap fit' connector, once they go in it's not possible to take them out and put them back in again without 'adjusting' with a hack saw! A little tab snaps off when you twist them into place.
Audi S4 (B9)
--------
Gone:
C63 Coupe (2014)
Audi S4 (B8)
BMW M3 (E90)
Audi RS4 (B7)
BMW M5 (E60)
BMW M3 (E46)

Jamiestanton
2nd Gear

Post by Jamiestanton » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:08 pm

I just had new switch and I got the same problem how did you fix this annoying noise
2006 black audi rs4 b7 mrc stage 2 stage 2 manifold de cats miltek coil overs light weight flywheel black optics 445bhp 470nm

Wavey Dynamicist
2nd Gear

Post by Wavey Dynamicist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:24 am

+1

I've noticed a clicking noise when I press the pedal, I can also feel it through my foot. Doesn't sound substantial
Enough to be mechanical, sounds like it's inside the cabin.

It's worse on cold mornings and usually goes away after a little driving. Did anyone get to the bottom of it?
2007 RS4 Saloon; Mugello Blue

Frostie
3rd Gear

Post by Frostie » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Mine does this too, so I'm curious as to what it could be...
2007 black RS4 saloon. Bilstein Coilovers, MRC Re-map, Miltek non resonated valved exhaust with de-cats, Gruppe-M carbon induction, JHM manifold spacers, Stage 2 manifold, cold air feed.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”