DIY Carbon Cleaning, now we've started!!!

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
AlexRS4
Neutral

Re: DIY Carbon Cleaning, now we've started!!!

Post by AlexRS4 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Warning: Some images might be disturbing! Seeing such disassembly is not always for the weak hearted. :)

So,I contacted Audi Germany and Italy about the DRC and to let them know the whole engine was taken down for the cleaning.
No answers yet, but Italy did forward the email to the shop and made me pretty uncomfortable with the technician. I complained
about lack of knowledge of the problem, which is Audi's fault for not informing them, lack of knowledge in how to deal or perform
the procedure, which ended up with the engine removal since the technician right away saw nothing but problems in doing the
cleaning with the headers still on: like cleaning around the spot but not the spot, and some valves would be open so how do we clean
those? And the DRC? Well, here's one for the books... when I said that it starts with one leaky shock absorber then might move to the
others, he said: "Well, I'm fine today and I hope to be fine tomorrow, but that's the way things are, we never know!"... W... T... F?

Anyway, here it goes...
2011-09-22 17.07.56.jpg
2011-09-22 17-1.08.09.jpg
P1020397_1.JPG
P1020390_1.JPG
and there's my clutch still in the box...
Black 4.2 RS4 Avant, Titan wheels.
Going for K&N, flat bottom steering, LED rear lights, Dectane headlights, Milltek or Tubi exhaust.
May Sachs Performance rot in hell.

Previously:
Audi A3 1.8T, Audi A4 1.8T, Audi S3, VW Passat 1.8T, VW Tiguan 1.8T (anyone see a pattern?)

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:58 pm

I'd be worried - cleaning the open valves is an obvious answer.
You don't.
You clean the closed ones then give the car a nudge in gear to move it a bit to close the others.

P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:36 pm

TBH those valves don't look that bad, no worse then mine when I had my car opened up....

ArthurPE
Cruising

Post by ArthurPE » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:12 pm

let me get this straight: they removed the engine to clean the valves?
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe...Albert Einstein

SKG_C63AMG
2nd Gear

Post by SKG_C63AMG » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:15 pm

And is it an official Audi dealer that is doing this work for you? ive just done mine myself in 2 days with engine in place like Daz and im sure many others
LATEST C63 AMG
FOCUS RS MK2 (now gone as well)
gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 CABBY
PREVIOUSVW GOLF MK5 R32
EVO 8
SUBARU 03 WRX
SAPHIRE COSWORTH 2WD built by my own hands
VW GOLF MK5 GTTDI
EVO 8 (again)
SEAT LEON CUPRA R
VW GOLF GTI 1.8TURBO MK4
BMW 318 E36
SAXO VTR X2

AlexRS4
Neutral

Post by AlexRS4 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:03 am

adsgreen wrote:I'd be worried - cleaning the open valves is an obvious answer.
You don't.
You clean the closed ones then give the car a nudge in gear to move it a bit to close the others.
Yes, that's what I meant. But apparently that's not an Audi procedure. In fact, they never heard of the carbon buildup.
ArthurPE wrote:let me get this straight: they removed the engine to clean the valves
Yes.
Only upside is that I used the opportunity to change the clutch, which didn't *need* changing, for a Sachs.
EDIT: I wrote up there, as it was now pointed to me, cleaning without removing the valves would be like cleaning around a spot but not the spot itself, and the best one, "how
do you even get the residue out of there?" It's so mind-blowingly simple I can't find the words to comment. Wait: Gee, I don't know, stick your finger if you can't think of anything else! :bash:
SKG_RS4 wrote:And is it an official Audi dealer that is doing this work for you? ive just done mine myself in 2 days with engine in place like Daz and im sure many others
Yes. It´s called Audi Rinaldi in Turin.

Funny part? The email I sent complaining about all this lack of knowledge and the used warranty not being "valid" in that dealer (for the lambda and shock), WAS read by someone AND forwarded to the dealer. Talk about making your client feel uncomfortable.
It's by far the stupidest thing I've seen Audi do, besting even when it refused to change 3 CV joints (same side, FWD, tiptronic, no mods, in sequence and no explanation for the breaking) by excusing themselves because I had changed the wheels. :thumbsdown:

Seems to me Audi Italia is living up to it's name... somewhat lazy, pretending to do it's job but in the end hoping problems will go away on their own. Switzerland or England are starting to look soooooooooo attractive. Plus I could bring her along (my Black Dame), which would be near-impossible in the US.
Black 4.2 RS4 Avant, Titan wheels.
Going for K&N, flat bottom steering, LED rear lights, Dectane headlights, Milltek or Tubi exhaust.
May Sachs Performance rot in hell.

Previously:
Audi A3 1.8T, Audi A4 1.8T, Audi S3, VW Passat 1.8T, VW Tiguan 1.8T (anyone see a pattern?)

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:33 pm

DazN wrote:Is that the plastic thing that's half black, half white, about the same size as 3 x £2 coins in a stack? I see what you mean about extending the hose, is this so I can change it in future with ease?

Going to try and find the part now but the problem is the manifold is going back on today (hopefully).

Thanks
I know its an old thread, but what is the part number of the one way vac valve that sits underneath the manifold.

My manifold is off currently so have cleaned the I/M, will do valves on Monday, just need to order the valve before re-assembly.
Daytona Grey, Bilstein Coilovers, Pre-cat delete, Centre resonator delete, IM flaps/vains delete, Interior/Exterior LED kit, CAI, Black Optics.
Other car: Bread Van

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:31 pm

For anybody who is looking to replace the valve, part number is 046905291A.
Daytona Grey, Bilstein Coilovers, Pre-cat delete, Centre resonator delete, IM flaps/vains delete, Interior/Exterior LED kit, CAI, Black Optics.
Other car: Bread Van

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:28 am

Grandadg90 wrote:For anybody who is looking to replace the valve, part number is 046905291A.

Thankyou just been looking and doing the same.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”