Disc Skimming B7 Audi Rs4

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
manual_daniel
2nd Gear

Re: Disc Skimming B7 Audi Rs4

Post by manual_daniel » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:33 am

I just realised that I meant to post this in the "RS4 Brake Judder" thread instead of this one - it would be more relevant. :bash: Sorry. Hope it helps anyway.
Now: 2007 Daytona RS4 Avant
Passed On: 2003 Mugello RS6 Sedan

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Well, I'm 300 miles in and the brakes are great still, including some very high speed slowdowns where I've really relied on them! No judder still. Pulled the pads out this lunchtime to check wear and inspect the disc/holes etc. All looked good - in fact, I'd say that blockage of the holes was far less than I was expecting (although I think that's down to the pad material).
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:29 am

Got the pad sensor light come on the dash, looked at my discs and they definitely have the "lip" around the outer edge, with some grooves in, presumably from the metal pins in my oem pads :(

Going to order a set of EBC Redstuff pads and and give Marcus a call :D
RS4 B7 Phantom Black Saloon
[ MRC Stage 2 Map w/ LC/FS @ 440 PS ] : [ TubiStyle Exhaust ] : [ Milltek Decat Downpipes ] : [ Deflapped Manifold ] : [ Cold Air Feed ] : [ Revo/Pipercross CF Induction ] : [ H&R ARBs Front+Rear ]
[
Forged Rotor RS5.0 OEM+ 20x10.5 ] : [ AccuAir Airlift Performance + e-Level Mgmt ] : [ Wrapped in 3M Black Rose ]

Build Thread

davebirl
Neutral

Post by davebirl » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:01 am

Just as an FYI to others.

My RS4 had 26k miles on it when I bought it. Drove perfectly for 3 months and then I started to feel a tremor through the steering wheel when braking at all speeds down to 40mph. My buddy also bought an RS4 same time as myself and the same thing happened to him but his tremors were much worse than mine.

He bought new RS4 discs (big bucks( and I got mine skimmed.

My skimmed discs lasted 3 months and I felt the tremor return again.

We both live and work in town so we both do a lot of short stop driving.
I've read that the drilled discs don't cope well with this type of driving.
(I do blow out the carbon at weekends)

So I bought the Phaeton discs and swapped over the bells last week, just 400 euro all in for both.
I couldn't justify the cost of new drilled discs and then have to wait and see how long before the issue returns.

I've spoken to another RS4 owner here in Ireland and he went through 3 sets of Audi drilled discs in one year. Each replaced under warranty.
Original Phaeton Disc
Bolts removal
Bell removed from Phaeton Disc
Bell removed from RS4 Disc
Phaeton Disc with RS4 Bell ready to refit
B7 RS4 - Missano Red- RS6 Steering Wheel
Gone 2 X 8L S3, 2 X Corrado VR6, Corrado G60

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:39 am

Your discs weren't the only problem - simply skimming them (off the car for example) will just postpone the issue. There's far more at play here than that. Right down to equal torque of the wheelbolts etc.

My "skim" has fixed the issue completely on my car (other than a test on track, as I've nothing booked until February now), although that wasn't the only thing done. I'm very aggressive with brakes and it's not returned :)
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:47 am

CharlieD wrote:Got the pad sensor light come on the dash, looked at my discs and they definitely have the "lip" around the outer edge, with some grooves in, presumably from the metal pins in my oem pads :(

Going to order a set of EBC Redstuff pads and and give Marcus a call :D
Worth checking to see how much material is left on the disc before calling Marcus, if you have a lip you might be close to the minimum disc thickness.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:54 am

coffey555 wrote:Worth checking to see how much material is left on the disc before calling Marcus, if you have a lip you might be close to the minimum disc thickness.
Is there an easy way of checking the minimum thickness?

As it happens I already called him, and sent him these pictures:

Worst offending disc (off-side), has a pretty deep groove:

Near-side has a groove too but its not as deep:
[ MRC Stage 2 Map w/ LC/FS @ 440 PS ] : [ TubiStyle Exhaust ] : [ Milltek Decat Downpipes ] : [ Deflapped Manifold ] : [ Cold Air Feed ] : [ Revo/Pipercross CF Induction ] : [ H&R ARBs Front+Rear ]
[
Forged Rotor RS5.0 OEM+ 20x10.5 ] : [ AccuAir Airlift Performance + e-Level Mgmt ] : [ Wrapped in 3M Black Rose ]

Build Thread

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:46 am

32mm is the recommended minimum thickness, it should be stamped on the disc.

Use a micro measuring caliper to check the distance between the two actual brake surfaces and not the lips.

Going by the corrosion they have been on the car a while.

That groove on the outside edge of the disc looks a bit strange, if I remember rightly the pins from the backing plate are more towards the middle of the pad.

Might be worth having a look at the calipers to make sure the pistons are moving correctly?
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Ozzyz
3rd Gear

Post by Ozzyz » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:51 am

I had new pads fitted to my RS4 the other day, at the same time my mechanic advised I get the discs skimmed so the pads had an even surface to wear down on, I told him to go ahead and skim the discs.
Once I collected the car from him on my way home I noticed a horrible judder in my steering wheel and pedal when I was braking from anything over 40mph, braking from anything over 70+ the judder was awful.
Obviously I phoned my mechanic up straight away and told him, I brought the car to him the next morning and he had a look, it turned out the skimming machine wasn't properly calibrated, a bit of adjusting on the machine and a re-skim and the problem was fixed. It's amazing how much a difference a minor but of adjusting makes. Now the car brakes straight and true from any kind of speed (like it should of done all along really!) I know skimming is only a short term fix for the discs. Not sure how much it prolongs the life by though.

murph22
1st Gear

Post by murph22 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:34 pm

When I had my old car, there was lots of posts on the forum about Brake discs warping, and one of the members posted this article from Stoptech which is
quite an interesting read. It might be of some use to people.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-suppo ... ther-myths

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:48 am

coffey555 wrote:32mm is the recommended minimum thickness, it should be stamped on the disc.

Use a micro measuring caliper to check the distance between the two actual brake surfaces and not the lips.

Going by the corrosion they have been on the car a while.

That groove on the outside edge of the disc looks a bit strange, if I remember rightly the pins from the backing plate are more towards the middle of the pad.

Might be worth having a look at the calipers to make sure the pistons are moving correctly?
Thanks, will check thickness tomorrow.

There's more than 1 pin apparently, here's a pic I found on another forum:
[

Build Thread

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”