In Trups' absence, is this old headlight kit worth fitting?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Mr Footlong
Cruising

In Trups' absence, is this old headlight kit worth fitting?

Post by Mr Footlong » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:03 am

Hi guys

I have PM'd Trups too, but his visits seem to be few & far between at present. I have read up on the new super dooper DRL lights he had made up, the teething problems with them, the spats between him and Surrey Sam (don't want any input on that thanks, between them and doesn't involve me and my car). I would still ideally want a set of those DRL monsters....

I got a front headlight kit off him around poss 18 months ago or so, never got around to fitting it. It consists of the items in the picture below. The DRL LED lights look very basic compared with the monsters he has made now. The main H11 bulbs claim to be 80W, which if true, draw massively more current than the OE 35w you normally see.

You then have LED indicators and I guess the LED decoders provided are for those.

I am curious as to if any of these have been superseded for whatever reasons before sticking them in.
SAM_9135.JPG
I forgot to take these to the garage and they are having the bumper off to fix the horn (I seem cursed, I love RC, but any time they have the front off one of my cars the horn comes back broken :() so I thought I would get these fitted one time.

Do any of you recognize/run this combo from Trups?

Thanks,

Nick.
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

docurley
5th Gear

Re: In Trups' absence, is this old headlight kit worth fitti

Post by docurley » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:53 am

I fitted my DRL kit in my old car over 2 years ago and the only issue I had was the gray housing he sent did not align with the bulbs mounting posts but a quick cut with a file on the housing sorted that.

I do know he was going to upgrade the resistor on them but in all honesty I never had an issue with them and will be getting them back soon and they look great in and are nice and bright.

If you need Trups number let me know.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks. So to confirm, the decoder units will actually somehow plug in to where those little (w5w) LEDs pictured in the middle fit as the DRL units? I did think it odd when I saw the uprated ones on Trup's thread and saw the extra 581 plugs. Without the flaming car here I am effectively blind and can't look for myself.

Both housing have had a lug filed off (I had a look after the ranting from Surrey Sam to Trups/vice versa) so you see lugs at the same 7pm/11pm positions that Trups referred to.

The main thing is that I really don't want to shell out to drop the bumper twice to fit another set/swap bits out after doing this once next week. I don't want to pester Trups by phone yet, especially at the weekend so will wait and see until later on tomorrow, then I might take you up on the number :).
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:37 am

RIGHT, after looking up old PMs from Trups and finding a decent picture of a B4 headlight, I have remembered that they clearly have the two bulbs in the same area, so not indicator bulbs, muppet...
Current:

Gone:

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:58 am

The flat ones are side lights and the gold ones are DRL's and they all fit it the same area all just plug and play.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:53 pm

Yes as above, the flat 5w5 are the sidelights. The grey lids with cancellors are for the old style DRL upgrades along with the actual DRLs (that looks like indicator or brake lights bulb) and the blue ones are the fog lights. The grey lid with cancellors are now superceded by his new super dooper DRL upgrade.

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:08 pm

As others have said the grey boxes and the large bulbs are the DRL upgrade. They can be a little tricky to engage the lugs in the slots - look through the headlight as you put them in and line them up first as you can end up undoing the bulb.

I used these and with auto lights got the occasional error which cleared itself seconds after start up.

I would avoid the side-light bulbs as if they are LED in my experience they will error but no harm in trying them. I never tried Trups' so if they came from him I expect will work as the canceller he sold me for the number plate lights was perfect.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:00 am

FYI - I never went ahead and accepted the resolution suggested in 'that' thread you have read; I felt that it was buying my silence. I'd rather log on to this forum and speak my mind from experience and without bias. Having spoken to a number of other forum members since then, with similar issues and whom don't voice their concerns in public. I’m quite happy to continue doing so and have yet to vent my full thoughts.

Just watch the B7's DRLs behind the Megane and tell me that's right :?:

£5 to the person who timemarks the first 'failure'.

Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks for the input guys. As mentioned, I did figure out exactly what went where after finding a half decent picture of a headlight to remind me as the car isn't here, but this is all useful info to have on here for future searches by people.

I think that I am going to get SJB to hold off on dropping the bumper to fix the intermittent horn issue and that will mean holding off on the bulbs being fitted. This gives more time to see if the revision 2 Trups DRL kit can be sourced as god knows what wait time MRC currently have to get her in there for the gearbox/clutch work, they can fit the kit in for me.

Sam, I am sorry that you and Trups are having these issues, but from my few experiences with him, absolutely nothing has ever been too much trouble for him with my cars. He has been stupidly helpful, from contacting me out of the blue when he had random thoughts about LED options for things like the maplights in the C5 way back when, to offering to meet up for dropping the bumper on the 4 way back when,various other things, stupidly helpful guy.

He is a truly "good egg" afaic, I just get the feeling from that DRL v2 thread and the decreasing amount of posts from his side, that it has really got to him and he is trying his damndest to get to the bottom of any bugs being reported. It may well not be the best way to be dealing with folks currently but I feel at least he doesn't have to be doing any of this for us at all and when making such custom kit as this combined with the fussiness of our ECUs with regards to lights, I personally really appreciate it.

I was guessing that you would post on here regardless of whether I mentioned your issue or not on the original post, hence asking for the input specifically to that to not be posted on here, there is an entire forum area on here for that grievance regarding your reported problems and I feel that it is best kept there myself, but now I feel just by mentioning Trups on this thread it is my own fault.....

I will have a look at the vid in a mo thanks.
Current:

Gone:

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:50 pm

So that'll be a no comment then? I've kept all of my dismay since the initial problems, out of his trader forum because that's a section he pays for, being a site Sponsor. This forum section however, he does not.

:arrow: Still an easy fiver for someone to have here. Hell, I'll even double it for the person that can give me the number of times the DRL's fail in the video.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:23 am

Watching two random cars being driven from the back of another random car had me bored to tears fairly quickly I am afraid. I am guessing more money is needed for people to put themselves through that?
Current:

Gone:

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:39 am

47 Seconds in 8)

And yes, it's a slow day at work today :lol:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:40 am

MrHilario wrote:47 Seconds in 8)

That road looks awesome though, a forum trip to Wales may need to be done!

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:48 am

MrHilario wrote:47 Seconds in 8)

Thank god somebody saved me trying to watch that! Is it not unusual that both cycled at the same time? Seperate wiring, but same loom, handshaking issue perhaps or am I talking complete cod (more so than usual)??? Really didn't want this on my thread but I guess I have no choice with the laws of T'internet.
Current:

Gone:

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 am

12-13 times.... hmmm interesting.
The question is, do all of them do that??? I have noticed that on certain occasions my instrument lights go out for a sec or two. Usually when you go from bright light in to shade. But very occasionally. Wasn't able to pin point when. So do the DRL stop working at same time as well?
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”