Flickering headlight

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MrHilario
5th Gear

Flickering headlight

Post by MrHilario » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Hey guys, I noticed on the way home from the meet on Saturday that my left headlight would randomly go out, only to come on again when I moved the steering wheel slightly. I think the bumpy roads may have loosened the bulb or something. Are they easy to replace?

For those of you that don't know me, I am not mechanically minded in any way whatsoever. Think of Jeremy Clarkson with a hammer, lol. :audibash:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

Jules
Top Gear

Re: Flickering headlight

Post by Jules » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:21 pm

MrHilario wrote:Hey guys, I noticed on the way home from the meet on Saturday that my left headlight would randomly go out, only to come on again when I moved the steering wheel slightly. I think the bumpy roads may have loosened the bulb or something. Are they easy to replace?

For those of you that don't know me, I am not mechanically minded in any way whatsoever. Think of Jeremy Clarkson with a hammer, lol. :audibash:
I had this on my old one mate, time for new bulbs I'm afraid as its on its way out, not come lose.

I think you can get copies, damn this is going back for about £50 each but prices could have easily
changed or even be better options than when I last replaced some.
Drive low,park lower

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Jules wrote: I had this on my old one mate, time for new bulbs I'm afraid as its on its way out, not come lose.
Oh really? Must just be coincidence then. Thinking about it I haven't driven it in the dark for a while so may have been like it for a while. Cheers. :thumbs:

Anyone know where I can get new bulbs on the cheap? I presume they are not a standard halfords jobby?

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:34 pm

They're D1S bulbs you need I believe.
Lots of options on ebay depending on your budget. The Osram night breakers get good reviews, about £80/90 for the pair.

EDIT - there are fakes going around so might be wothwhile getting them from somewhere else, not ebay.
Cheapest I found - http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/osram-d1s- ... brand-new/

etka link, number 5 - http://www.oemepc.com/audi/part_single/ ... ng/e#sec_5

ta
Mike

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks Mike, I liked Ilya's xenon running lights so may as well get them changed too and he has pointed me in the direction of Trups so I will probably go through him, if prices are reasonable. Cheers

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)

Lady Penelope
2nd Gear

Post by Lady Penelope » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:48 pm

+1 for Trups. Am running his LED DRLs. Fantastic bulbs, well made and look really good.

:thumbs:
RS4 B7 2007 Cabriolet Misano Red
Revolution carbon air intake, KW adjustable springs, Da Vinci 20" summer rims, OEM 19" winter chrome and black rims, Audi Ceramic front brakes, Milltek cat back non resonated valved exhaust, US spec black front grill, MRC stage 2, Piano black interior + cream leather buckets. EM Tuning dragon eyes and xenon upgrade, TTRS FBMF steering wheel, TV, Reversing camera, Nav, Red leather fitted luggage.

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Thanks m'Lady :thumb:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)

PaulT
1st Gear

Post by PaulT » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:08 pm

Interesting.
Now its dark, I have been wondering how long HID bulbs last and whether there is benefit from replacement.I have a thick stack of history and no record of the bulbs being changed so likely they are 10yrs old. My dip beam is OK but nothing special and main beam is bit poor (there was other thread on this - mainbeam tis useless - i tend to agree)

I found searching bit inconclusive, so would be great to know if anyone has replaced aging stock bulbs for new stock or similar (ie. same wattage) and saw a significant improvement. (Like you do when you replace old halogens whose light output has dimmed).
Daytona RS4

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=121910&p=813368#p813368

In the link above is when I did mine and ordered the ones in the link sent to me. There not as bright as the Philips ones I had in it before but still good .

As for fitting , I have a bill from the previous owner for £250 for bulbs + fitting .

I did mine myself this time , bumper off and lights out . I replaced all the bulbs why the headlights were out .

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:24 pm

Lady Penelope wrote:+1 for Trups. Am running his LED DRLs. Fantastic bulbs, well made and look really good.

:thumbs:

No disrespect to Lady P.

I on the other hand, am very much at the other end of the spectrum with that forum vendors' products - I experienced nothing but issues with the full kit I purchased. The Gen 2 versions I've also been able to cast my eye over recently and these have tried to address some of the previous short comings. However, the items are still suffering silly issues like wires coming adrift from cheap soldering methods.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:37 am

Surrey Sam wrote:
I on the other hand, am very much at the other end of the spectrum with that forum vendors' products - I experienced nothing but issues with the full kit I purchased. The Gen 2 versions I've also been able to cast my eye over recently and these have tried to address some of the previous short comings. However, the items are still suffering silly issues like wires coming adrift from cheap soldering methods.
That's interesting to know Sam, thanks :thumbs:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:14 pm

I did my drivers side today and it took about 20 minutes. No needs to remove the bumper. Removal of air box was a bit fiddly, but once out it was really quick. Gave me a chance to clean the TB too.
Daytona Grey, Bilstein Coilovers, Pre-cat delete, Centre resonator delete, IM flaps/vains delete, Interior/Exterior LED kit, CAI, Black Optics.
Other car: Bread Van

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”