cold start issue

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Starry
4th Gear

cold start issue

Post by Starry » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:55 am

Starting the car from cold, i get this. Starts with ease and idles for the first 10 sec's fine. Then it gets lumpier and lumpier for the next minute or so to the point of stalling sometimes and then almost like I've flicked a switch it will be perfect. Theres no faults and the car runs beautiful afterwords. Any ideas? Its like there is a cold start program in the ECU which will switch of after 60 sec's or so and thats not working properly and then it switches to another setting and its fine. Anyone near me in North Bristol that could log a start up from cold to see if that helps?
:audibash:
2006 RS4
Phantom black
MRC Stage 2, Milltek non res, pre cat delete,

Starry
4th Gear

Re: cold start issue

Post by Starry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:47 am

Well I've put up with this issue for a while, so I'm now on the train on my way home from Mrc. Just to add to the excitement I managed to hit a pheasant on the way up and smashed my foglight and fog grill. :bash:
2006 RS4
Phantom black

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:17 pm

There is a cold start program in the ECU which pumps extra air into the system to warm up the pre cats to keep emissions low for the first 30 seconds or so until the main cats warm up.
MRC sometimes map the cold start out as it is only really required for Audi to pass manufacturer emmisons tests but not MOT tests as these are done when the car is warm.
Maybe yours wasn't mapped out and there is a problem with it?

Starry
4th Gear

Post by Starry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:42 pm

MikeFish wrote:There is a cold start program in the ECU which pumps extra air into the system to warm up the pre cats to keep emissions low for the first 30 seconds or so until the main cats warm up.
MRC sometimes map the cold start out as it is only really required for Audi to pass manufacturer emmisons tests but not MOT tests as these are done when the car is warm.
Maybe yours wasn't mapped out and there is a problem with it?
Mines got the pre cats removed and it was mapped like that. They plugged it in and it showed no faults on there laptop.
Had to leave it to allow them to monitor it from cold. Hopefully it will happen for them as it can go for a few days sometimes without issue as it's my daily.
2006 RS4
Phantom black

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Although the pre cats were removed and mapped out it doesn't necessarily mean they mapped out the cold start or removed the secondary air injection and mapped that out too.

I've had the whole lot removed on mine.

Urbanpixels
1st Gear

Post by Urbanpixels » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Could this be related to carbon build up? I remember with my S5 and reading about the carbon problem a lumpy idle was one of the first signs before warning lights etc?

Starry
4th Gear

Post by Starry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:18 pm

MikeFish wrote:Although the pre cats were removed and mapped out it doesn't necessarily mean they mapped out the cold start or removed the secondary air injection and mapped that out too.

I've had the whole lot removed on mine.
Hopefully it is that as it would be a cheap easy fix. Mrc did the map so I d be disappointed if it were that. It would be strange as it was ok with the map for a while, seemed to happen when the weather turned, maybe a coincidence.
2006 RS4
Phantom black

Starry
4th Gear

Post by Starry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Urbanpixels wrote:Could this be related to carbon build up? I remember with my S5 and reading about the carbon problem a lumpy idle was one of the first signs before warning lights etc?
True, but it had a Full carbon clean and de-flap at the same time as the map.
2006 RS4
Phantom black

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:21 pm

They normally ask the owner if they want the cold start mapped out so if they didn't do it it's cos Dave didn't want it.
And the secondary air injection being mapped out will probably only be done if you have the secondary air injection physically removed.

Starry
4th Gear

Post by Starry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:37 pm

Dave's map would be over written by the map tweek I had to allow for the de-flap, de-pre cat and carbon clean. So Mrc should of sorted that side of things. I don't know If this is what you mean but I had the map set to start the car quieter than standard. But from memory I think Dave said he had that on the original map.
2006 RS4
Phantom black

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Yes that is the cold start delete or quiet start as they call it.

Starry
4th Gear

Post by Starry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Ah, i see. Doug was going to leave it all day and have a go at logging it from cold this afternoon. May have some news info later.
2006 RS4
Phantom black

Starry
4th Gear

Post by Starry » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Typical, the car has started a ticked over without fault since its been at MRC :audibash: Doug said there was a very slight misfire on start up one time but nothing that would worry him.
Just hope it happens tomorrow as i need it back and its a 4 hour round trip so fingers crossed.....
2006 RS4
Phantom black

Starry
4th Gear

Post by Starry » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 am

Well that was a waste of time, the cars been there all week and it's not happens once. Now sat on the train Mrc bound...
2006 RS4
Phantom black

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:45 am

Maybe bad fuel?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”