Bilstein settings

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
BenHol
2nd Gear

Bilstein settings

Post by BenHol » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Hey guys, Had my b16s on a few weeks now and thinks it's a bit too stiff especially as I'm fitting a set of 20s tommorow with 30 profile. I'm curious which setting people have their dampers set to to maintain some comfort. I'm happy to have a play with settings but don't want to have to keep taking wheels off and on again to test it.
Any opinions appreciated.
RS4 B7 - Phantom Black, 20in RS6 C7 alloys, Joey mod, detango, led drl, black optics, Bilstein b16, Michelin ps4s, centre res delete, black tips, 8mm spacers, vx lenses, RS embossed xenon, Carbon splitter, 034 ARB.

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Re: Bilstein settings

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:45 pm

you dont need to take the wheels on and off !! Turn the steering to full lock right on right wheel and full left on left and turn the adjuster on the damper , thats what i do , ok you need to crouch down and reach up and under the bumper/tyre close to the ground where the bumper gap is biggest but its not difficult , rears are the same lie down along the rear and turn the dial to the numbers you want, unless yours were fitted the wrong way round ??, front dials are meant to face forward rears are supposed to face towards the rear depending on my driving mode lol i can set all 4 in about just over 1 minute . moving on... motorway settings i set them all on 7. daily/sporty driving..front 4 rear 3 . fun mode all on 1 , for info 1 is a track setting and the step to 2 is a big gap on the adjuster so the difference is noticable , same for 9 its full softest available , then to 8 is noticable , i dont like setting 9 on daily driving ,even then its stiffer than DRC but....it tends to porpoise a little bit on dips and drains or tarmac joints.Do you have stiffer roll bars ? they are a must have for sure , the DRC does a lot of the work so the std roll bars are soft I run H&R front and rear
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque
1/4 mile 12.01 secs 123.5mph

BenHol
2nd Gear

Post by BenHol » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:31 am

That's great, I'm gonna get the wheels off this morning to put the new ones on as long as my spigot rings turn up in the post. Then I'll check all the adjusters are facing the right way.

Iv got standard roll bars at the mo. I'll see how it handles with the damping adjusted first I think. Thanks for this.
RS4 B7 - Phantom Black, 20in RS6 C7 alloys, Joey mod, detango, led drl, black optics, Bilstein b16, Michelin ps4s, centre res delete, black tips, 8mm spacers, vx lenses, RS embossed xenon, Carbon splitter, 034 ARB.

BenHol
2nd Gear

Post by BenHol » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:11 am

I didnt realise how fiddly it would be to adjust the height on the springs on these, iv managed the front, but on the rears the spring seat is turning with the adjuster, does anyone have a trick to it or do i need to remove them to adjust?

Any help appreciated, or i might not get these wheels on today

Seattle-squash
2nd Gear

Bilstein settings

Post by Seattle-squash » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:19 pm

I never found a good way, and removed and adjusted until happy. I typically drive mine at 4 front and 6 rear for daily driving, and definitely stiffer than OEM but works for me when roads are decent. Good luck!
Last edited by Seattle-squash on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenHol
2nd Gear

Post by BenHol » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:22 pm

Thought that might be the case. Would you just drop the bottom bolt out of the damper? I adjusted the front today lifting it 15mm and left the back as they were. The wheels seem to fit ok with no scrubbing, although I need to test it with a car full yet

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:50 pm

rears are a pig , you could to lower the front bolts of the subframe and unbolt the lower shocker bolt one side at a time thats what i did , luckilty i got it right first time , was too high on rears at first , you will also find the fronts will settle more over a couple o thousand miles , mine dropped nearly 20mm over time , but now its ok
You will deffo need stiffer roll bars when in sporty driving mode , they really do lean without the DRC
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque

Seattle-squash
2nd Gear

Bilstein settings

Post by Seattle-squash » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:21 pm

rwilsonrs4 wrote:rears are a pig , you could to lower the front bolts of the subframe and unbolt the lower shocker bolt one side at a time thats what i did , luckilty i got it right first time , was too high on rears at first , you will also find the fronts will settle more over a couple o thousand miles , mine dropped nearly 20mm over time , but now its ok
You will deffo need stiffer roll bars when in sporty driving mode , they really do lean without the DRC
What roll bars/sway's did you go with? Hear good things about the Hotchkis brand. Looking to upgrade this soon to compliment the PSS9's.

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:48 pm

i have H&R front and rears on mine which are very good , with PSS9 on setting 1 there is no roll atall , it nearly pulls the tyres off but no understeer , Hotchkis are popular in USA but apparently are much stiffer than H&R but are designed for track use from what i remember . look on audizine to read about them. whiteline are avalable too but similar strength to hotchkis i read about all 3 types and went for H&R

Seattle-squash
2nd Gear

Post by Seattle-squash » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:18 pm

Got it, thanks for your feedback.

mongo
2nd Gear

Post by mongo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:59 am

Seattle-squash wrote:
rwilsonrs4 wrote:rears are a pig , you could to lower the front bolts of the subframe and unbolt the lower shocker bolt one side at a time thats what i did , luckilty i got it right first time , was too high on rears at first , you will also find the fronts will settle more over a couple o thousand miles , mine dropped nearly 20mm over time , but now its ok
What roll bars/sway's did you go with? Hear good things about the Hotchkis brand. Looking to upgrade this soon to compliment the PSS9's.
Hotchkis area also very good, have them on mine with pss9's, along with meyle HD arm kit, it is an absolute dream to drive.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”