Warranties are they worth it?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Banc Blue
Neutral

Warranties are they worth it?

Post by Banc Blue » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:39 pm

I took out one for two years when I first got my car, I extended the 3 month warranty the garage gave me.

I've just had a renewal letter asking if I wanted to renew, what's the general feeling on here are that worth it?

Here's what they cover.
Attachments
image.jpg

jonson66
2nd Gear

Re: Warranties are they worth it?

Post by jonson66 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:54 pm

Here is the simple answer to this question.

No, it's a con

pmj
2nd Gear

Post by pmj » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:59 pm

jonson66 wrote:Here is the simple answer to this question.

No, it's a con

I disagree with this statement I have had a warranty on my car for the last 3 years. Used it a few times and it's always been a Benifit to have it Although it's expensive if you don't use it. If you do it can be worth its weight it gold. But you need to use the right company There are some that won't touch certain age cars or won't cover certain this like chargers or turbos but these items rarely let go.

SupraEdd
1st Gear

Post by SupraEdd » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:09 am

Some are good some are bad, you just gotta read the details.

I had one on my MGF that covered the dreaded HGF that they are prone to, so that was worth its weight in gold.

The 2 year one I had when I bought the RS was rubbish, I even believe I was conned into it, not that the warranty company cared about that and the reports I gave them about the garage. Totally my stupidity when the garage owner said "the warranty covers everything, all electrical and mechanical parts and failures, you'll be fine if anything goes wrong' then in the midst of paying for the car he lumps the warranty cost into the same transaction, but uh-oh doesn't have any warranty polices to give me to take home, he will send them in the post - 2 weeks later after the 14 day cancellation has past - then I read the policies and it covers F all. And the warranty company rejected every single on of my claims for any repairs.

:( so my advise is just get the right policy and Shop around.
If it's a tabby cat, I'm ok with that. If it's a bit leopardy, I could be in jeopardy!

jonson66
2nd Gear

Post by jonson66 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:43 pm

Exactly this. Dealt many of times running a garage and the warranty companies are rubbish. You would be lucky to get anything done. Even then the owner of the dealer where the car was purchased from has to authorise it and he could say no

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:37 pm

The Audi warranty used to cost about £450 ish, then the credit regulator came in with some regulations that the stealers had to adhere to and hey presto. Let's bump up the price to £1650 ish cuz we had to do a bit of wrting. Tossers. The Audi warranty is worth its weight in gold, I know as my 1st RS4 suffered a lot of issues that Listers didn't bat an eye lid and just got on with it. Even had my engine changed as it had a flat spot they coudn't cure. A new engine certainly cured it.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:55 pm

That's worth it!
I had a 3rd party one that covered some issues for me, it more then paid for itself.

The Audi one is silly expensive though, €2k here. Only worth it if you got DRC and an oil cooler out of it.

Or an engine!

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”