Independant Dorset, DRC.

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
pennpromo
Neutral

Independant Dorset, DRC.

Post by pennpromo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:57 am

Hi all,
I've just brought a Daytona Grey Avant B7 RS4, late 2006, 128,000 miles, two owner with loads of history.
It needs some work: DRC seems to be really noisy and clunky and it seems to wallow a bit.
Clonks mainly come when suspension seems to drop into bumps.
Bills show that about 20,000 ago it had two new front shocks and a DRC valve, so should I persevere with DRC or go coilovers?
Thought that it was lower rear control arm as the bush was shot but now suspect its way more involved.
Also the EPC light has come on, the first time i really revved it, (when thoroughly warm), so suspect flaps, decoke or related issues.
I've had 3 S4s, all Avants, a yellow 2.7 Biturbo, a Sprint blue V8 and then a sprint blue V6, with a Mugello blue RS6 in the middle, but this is my first RS4.
Spent plenty of time lurking to glean as much as I can: it's all fascinating!
Sold a BMW 130i M Sport LE and that was a really taught car: RS 4 seems all a bit loose so obviously needs work.
Does anyone know a good indy in the Bournemouth area ?
Simon.

pule333
5th Gear

Re: Independant Dorset, DRC.

Post by pule333 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:06 am

Trust me, I was in the same boat. Thinking should I keep or go coilovers.
The ugly truth is, DRC will fail again and again and again. Not at the component you fix but somewhere else. Unless you replace everything! And I mean everything! All the lines, all the struts, all the valves.. it will still fail again :(.
I went with Bilstien B14. And could not be happier! Trust me, you won't regret it.
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

pennpromo
Neutral

Post by pennpromo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:17 am

Hi Pule, I am considering Bilstein B14 myself as I can't see that I would be adjusting the damping as on the PSS9 s.
Thanks for the recommendation.

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:51 am

pennpromo wrote:Hi Pule, I am considering Bilstein B14 myself as I can't see that I would be adjusting the damping as on the PSS9 s.
Thanks for the recommendation.
That was my line of though exactly :) as far as I know, b16 have 9 settings. Anything 5-9 is pure crap. Toooo soft. Setting 4 is best all rounder. And this is what b14 are set at as well. As much as I like to think "because race car" it's not, it's my daily and comfort is quite important day to day.
Enjoy!
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”