Possible new clutch ?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Shaners4
Neutral

Possible new clutch ?

Post by Shaners4 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:11 am

Hello fellow Audi owners!

It's been a while since I've posted as I sold my rs4 many years ago!! But after owning m3s,c63s, range rovers and god knows what else, I've come to the conclusion I've missed my rs4 to much so purchased another one.

Cut the story short I purchased a rs4 few months back and it's covered 115000, it's a 2006 saloon. After a week from purchasing I noticed the clutch seemed a little strange, the car drives perfect when driven sensibly but when driven hard with quick gear changes the clutch sometimes sticks down briefly or when driven hard the clutch would be hard to push down or it would pop back up between gear changes so high the pedal would start jumping and clonking!

It had a new clutch and flywheel 3 years ago done by Audi and I have a track day book in 3 weeks and need to solve this issue by then. My friend said it doesn't sound like the clutch is going because it's not slipping, and he said possibly something to do with the pressure plate.

Anyone got any ideas as I don't want to fork out for a new clutch, flywheel and fitting if it doesn't need it.

marc1
Cruising

Re: Possible new clutch ?

Post by marc1 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:23 am

It's the clutch pipe that degrades causing the sticking clutch. Look here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=118361&hilit=Clutch+Robnic

As soon as Rob posted this I got him to for the up rated pipe to my car as a preventative measure. I understand once it's started to stick, it pretty much wears itself away, so highly likely a clutch and flywheel may be required. I'd drop him a PM. He's very knowledgeable about these cars and owns a professional garage himself.

AviatorEGHH
Neutral

Post by AviatorEGHH » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:20 pm

I had the uprated pipe installed because of this exact problem. The problem unfortunately still remains. Since the new pipe the clutch pedal is much harder to push and that's pretty much the only thing that changed. What is the real answer to this issue??? Why doesn't anybody know how to fix it?

HEEEEELP!
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, new clutch, DMF, a Milltek, carbon clean, new front shocks.
Last car, B5 S4 Avant, Milltek, Stage 1.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Doesn't sound right that the pedal is harder. Initially (first run) it will be slightly firmer, but over all not much difference. Have a chat with a rob and see what he thinks.

A few questions though:

Did you have a stuck clutch before fitting the updated pipe?
Did you replace the clutch and flywheel? (Your post suggests not)
Which upgraded pipe did you fit? Robnic braided hose or Audi revised part number?

sportsandclassic
1st Gear

Post by sportsandclassic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi, I had this exact issue which has come along over the last few months when the car is driven fairly hard the clutch pedal sticks to the floor.

I removed the gearbox and replaced my worn clutch and flywheel. The culprit was the slave cylinder supply line, I replaced mine with the Audi part and wrapped it in heat proof insulation like you sometimes find on coolant pipes near exhausts, its like a silver jacket.

Mine is now perfect.

Mine was changed with the gearbox removed which made it a whole lot easier, not sure how long that would of taken with gearbox left in the car.

My theory was to remove the gearbox and replace my clutch as it was 9 years old and I want to re-map the car so don't want any clutch issues down the line.

Mike

Shaners4
Neutral

Post by Shaners4 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:36 pm

I've had the clutch replaced (not flywheel) and the flexi pipe marc1 said and now shes running perfect. The bill was £425.00 so not to bad in the end.

Shaners4
Neutral

Post by Shaners4 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:36 pm

I've had the clutch replaced (not flywheel) and the flexi pipe marc1 said and now shes running perfect. The bill was £425.00 so not to bad in the end. Thank you

Robnic
3rd Gear

Post by Robnic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:21 pm

>>I had the uprated pipe installed because of this exact problem. The problem unfortunately still remains. Since the new pipe the clutch pedal is much harder to push and that's pretty much the only thing that changed. What is the real answer to this issue??? Why doesn't anybody know how to fix it?<<

Not too much information for us to go on above, I have sold a lot of these pipes now but don't recall you buying one, have you only changed the pipe? what other components were replaced? does it return ok? if it's heavy and returns ok that can be an issue with the clutch cover springs case hardening or being compacted with clutch plate lining dust from a disintegrating plate, was the clutch fluid black, any bits in it?

Rob
B7 RS4 MTM K540 Sprint loon, Lysholm/Opcon twin-screw supercharger, Ceramics, HEL Hoses, Loba SM Fly, Sachs performance clutch kit, MTM full stainless exhaust system with freeflow cats & quad valved tailpipes, Hotchkis ARB's, Bilstein B16 Coil Overs, LED Rear lights, Interior & LED 50W DRL's, Buckets in race cloth, Black optics, FBSW, Titanium pack, Solar Sunroof, Adaptive lights, MTM 10mm spacers Fr & Rr, 193 Nav unit, 2nd careful owner :-)

chuckrs4
2nd Gear

Post by chuckrs4 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:24 pm

Sorry to jump on this. Are you still selling the modded pipes rob? Cheers

Robnic
3rd Gear

Post by Robnic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi yes, still have them pm your details or call on 01724 711410
Thanks
B7 RS4 MTM K540 Sprint loon, Lysholm/Opcon twin-screw supercharger, Ceramics, HEL Hoses, Loba SM Fly, Sachs performance clutch kit, MTM full stainless exhaust system with freeflow cats & quad valved tailpipes, Hotchkis ARB's, Bilstein B16 Coil Overs, LED Rear lights, Interior & LED 50W DRL's, Buckets in race cloth, Black optics, FBSW, Titanium pack, Solar Sunroof, Adaptive lights, MTM 10mm spacers Fr & Rr, 193 Nav unit, 2nd careful owner :-)

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”