Fitting new brake lines

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Covkiller
Top Gear

Re: Fitting new brake lines

Post by Covkiller » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 pm

You should also use an 11mm brake hose spanner. As it provides an even force around the nut.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Flare-W ... B00862R5FW

For capping off the ends, get any garage to make you some female and male ends with a bent over copper brake tube and attach the end.

I would advise changing all 4 hoses if you're going braded.
For bleeding start at the furthest calliper away i.e. the rear NS then OS then front NS front and then OS.
You can use Ferrodo DOT 5.1 or ATE Blue for the best performance. But make sure you fully bleed the whole system. The more you pump through the better performance you will get. DO NOT do a half cocked job i.e. a couple of pumps. per calliper. I recently flushed my system twice with DOT 5.1 and now my brakes are really responsive.
Regarding blanking off the sensors, As pule333 suggests, I used a set of old male connectors and soldered the ends. Incidentally, my female connectors where corroded and threw a dashboard error, AUDI sell a replacement set if you have the same problem.

Here's mine done:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

weekenny
2nd Gear

Post by weekenny » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:06 pm

pule333 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but you only use one nipple for the front calipers. No need to use both.
I'd like to correct this to bleed out all of the air and old fluid you have to use both nipples. Do inside then outside.

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:55 pm

weekenny wrote:
pule333 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but you only use one nipple for the front calipers. No need to use both.
I'd like to correct this to bleed out all of the air and old fluid you have to use both nipples. Do inside then outside.
I stand corrected. Planning to do disc, pads, and hoses this Saturday. Will bleed from both. Last time I changed fluid, did only from single nipple and it worked ok. But I guess I'm had no comparison and my hard peddle may not have been as hard as it supposed to be. Thanks mate.
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:13 pm

I did both front nipples as when I changed my hoses I lost a lot of fluid from both sides i.e. front NS & OS
Last edited by Covkiller on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

mongo
2nd Gear

Post by mongo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:24 pm

Covkiller wrote:I did both front nipples as when I was changed my hoses I lost a lot of fluid from both sides i.e. front NS & OS

Looks like you had the brake calipers refurbed as well covkiller. I am just away to do this, along with the braided lines / fresh fluid. If you dont mind asking whom done your caliper refurb (or maybe you bought new calipers), and do you have any pictures of how this looks on your car? As iwould like to see a set of the calipers in red on a mugello blue :biggrin3:

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:35 pm

So guys I've got the front disks off and all is going well. I have noticed that the connection for the pad sensor cable is damaged on the car end. The cable is exposed slightly.
image.jpeg
This what has been intermittently setting off my wear alarm so needs to fixed. Any ideas on how to fix this?
RS4 B7 - PLUSH BUILT | MRC WORKED
BUILD THREAD
IG: @bad_rs_4

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:05 pm

You can buy a replacement cable with female connector from Audi. They're cheap. You'll have to cut off the existing cable and solder the new one in. Get some shrink insulator from Maplins to seal around the new and old. I have done this to both sides.

From my receipt:
P V1J0 973 702 C3911 Housing £3.16
P V000 979 019 EA C3910 Wire £4.20

Good luck
:thumbs:

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:07 pm

mongo wrote:
Covkiller wrote:I did both front nipples as when I was changed my hoses I lost a lot of fluid from both sides i.e. front NS & OS

Looks like you had the brake calipers refurbed as well covkiller. I am just away to do this, along with the braided lines / fresh fluid. If you dont mind asking whom done your caliper refurb (or maybe you bought new calipers), and do you have any pictures of how this looks on your car? As iwould like to see a set of the calipers in red on a mugello blue :biggrin3:
I'll pm you once I clean my car at the weekend

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:06 am

So after all the threads that I read about bleeding brakes and making sure you don't let the reservoir go dry, guess what happened on the last corner?!?!? Yep, don't ask. Anyway I bled the last of the fluid I had through but my pedal is still really spongy and just goes straight to the floor. I've got more fluid at work so I will bleed again when I get a chance in the next few days. Has anyone got experience with this scenario? Will I be ok just bleeding all corners again or is it likely I will need a Vagcom to bleed the ABS pump?
BUILD THREAD

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:11 am

jonytek wrote:So after all the threads that I read about bleeding brakes and making sure you don't let the reservoir go dry, guess what happened on the last corner?!?!? Yep, don't ask. Anyway I bled the last of the fluid I had through but my pedal is still really spongy and just goes straight to the floor. I've got more fluid at work so I will bleed again when I get a chance in the next few days. Has anyone got experience with this scenario? Will I be ok just bleeding all corners again or is it likely I will need a VAGCOM to bleed the ABS pump?
Hey Jony.
Did the reservoir went completely empty? If that's the case, chances are your abs pump needs vagcom bleeding... unlucky mate :( although it is not a very hard procedure you do need vagcom for this. Since mine is not an original one I am not sure if it would work. Besides never bleed the pump myself but read about it when was planing to replace it on my A4. How much fluid did you run through each calliper? I did around 250ml each corner.
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:22 am

Yeah completely dry, the pressure bleeder wasn't completely vertical so when the fluid got low it let air through and where I work on the car the lights not the greatest so it was difficult to tell the reservoir was low. I do have a feeling the ABS pump needs bleeding. I used just under a litre around the car but as I said it was on the last corner so obviously needs to bled all round again. I have been looking and from what I can see the VDCS lite will let you bleed the ABS pump.
BUILD THREAD

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 am

i have the cheapo VCDS lite and it wont com with the b7 at all
i bought a hex one for later models and it seems fine

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”