Audi, genuine mistake of trying it on??

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
jaysrs4
5th Gear

Audi, genuine mistake of trying it on??

Post by jaysrs4 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:54 pm

So, I take the car in for its 'anal' service and MOT to Leeds Audi today. Its the 5th time they've done the annual work and they are always fantastic. Today a small gathering round the car of admiring employees, paying some lovely compliments. I'm also given a brand new A5 S-line cabriolet as a courtesy car - how lovely I thought.

I'm called at 13.00 to say it's failed MOT on emissions and its a lambda that's gone - Okay I'm thinking, makes sense as it's not driven regularly, so it's plausible. However I say, I can get this done myself but it would be interesting to see how much you charge. Tech goes away and calls 30 mins later,
"Sorry it's not the lambda, we think it's got a vacuum leak or another sensor we can't pinpoint, so it needs diagnosing, circa 2-3 hours work."

(At which point i'm beginning to enjoy the fairytale, so I play it a bit dumb and ask him to continue).

He then says, "we think the engine may need to come out as you can't reach the sensors that need accessing. The price could be upwards of £2,000-£3,000 then there's the cost of fixing the fault, would you like us to proceed?". :drink: (I had to have a chuckle).

I said, I tell you what mate, get the car ready for me to collect and I'll take it somewhere else, please call me when it's ready.

Approximately 1 hour and 30mins I get a call back. Hi James, we don't think there's a problem with your car. We've just done an emissions test on another car and the machine has thrown the same code. One of our technicians is looking at the machine and if it's the machine we'll retest your car.

40 mins later, I get a call back - your car has passed.

What the absolute fcuk?!

Comments.....

Kev c rs4
Neutral

Re: Audi, genuine mistake of trying it on??

Post by Kev c rs4 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:07 pm

Mmm you just can't call it . Could be the machine .but as you have had no problems in the past and you tend to find if the guys liked your car they spend more time on checking it for you. Ask to see both print outs for both cars showing error code. But that's you calling them liars. Just be glad all is OK. Am not a great fan of main dealers. Don't like paying £85 hour for a apprentice to poke about your pride and joy.

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:15 pm

What a ripping yarn they fed you there!
Theyve gone from utter destruction to tickety boo in 2.5hrs..... thats gotta be a world record!

If you had been ridiculously financially minted, and knew no better, it sounds like they would have proceded to charge somewhere near 4 grand for something that was absolutely their problem....
It does seem like they were taking you for a ride......
Sadly, i can totally believe that they would have just gone and renewed every possible item in a frenzied process of elimination..... something you should never have to suffer especially from the renowned makers own mechanics.

Complaining would yield nothing and im sure they wouldnt give a toss if you did.

Utterly shocking mate.

Starry
4th Gear

Post by Starry » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:26 pm

Who in there right mind would authorise you to pull the engine and have a poke around and see if you can find a fault..
And these are the guys that know.... :audibash: as for trying it on they must know these cars are mostly owned by people with at very least, a bit of knowledge..
2006 RS4
Phantom black
MRC Stage 2, Milltek non res, pre cat delete,

rspj
4th Gear

Post by rspj » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:27 pm

I had that one Christmas it's failed emissions and there machine just been tested mine failed and the next car i had to wait untill year untill fixed I whet to never garage passed cannot trust machines now good job did not have to spend all that money
rs4 b8 Suzuka, grey 14

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:45 pm

I'd be inclined to believe they actually had a different machine. It happens. Their engine out to check a sensor is utter nonsense though. Surely a faulty sensor in that hard to reach position would throw a fault code first?

jaysrs4
5th Gear

Post by jaysrs4 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:37 pm

Well I picked the car up with a decent apology, presented with the fail sheet, then the pass.

The customer service guy was mediocre in his explaination and I proceeded to advise him that informing a customer that he may need to have his engine removed before facts had been established was a tad 'alarmist'.

As has been pointed out, I said that I could have told them to proceed, then what would have happened? He swore blind they wouldn't have charged me for anything and would have told me. Obviously that's speculative but meh, no harm done. Car's all serviced and MOT'd for £300 for another 12 months.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:44 pm

I stand about 3 feet away from my car during the mot usually in it sometimes to test the brake lights etc

On the standard exhaust mine was really close to failing so it could be true. Bit weird how they were so quickly to diagnose it's an engine out job tho

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:43 pm

They are trying it on James. Changed their tune a few times with speculation but asking you to authorise. I think Synter group are one of the worst. I won't take mine there at all.

VCDS will tell you if you've got a fault with any of the lambda sensors and you'd get the emission engine management light on the dash.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:51 pm

What a joke!
B5 B6 B7 B9

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:27 pm

marc1 wrote:They are trying it on James. Changed their tune a few times with speculation but asking you to authorise. I think Synter group are one of the worst. I won't take mine there at all.

VCDS will tell you if you've got a fault with any of the lambda sensors and you'd get the emission engine management light on the dash.
Just what I was going to say. You'd know about a faulty lambda as you'd get an EML on the dash.

Engine out to check a lambda? What the actual <beep>???

I'd run a mile. Then, find a reputable indy.

If you do want to stick with them, perhaps at least get yourself a VCDS cable so you can scan the car for error codes before it goes to them, so you can tell when they're making stuff up again.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

jonson66
2nd Gear

Post by jonson66 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:52 pm

MikeFish wrote:I'd be inclined to believe they actually had a different machine. It happens. Their engine out to check a sensor is utter nonsense though. Surely a faulty sensor in that hard to reach position would throw a fault code first?
Not necessarily from an emissions point of view. But I must agree removing the engine to test or access the sensors is extreme

jonson66
2nd Gear

Post by jonson66 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:55 pm

I've had it in the past a few times where a faulty lambda sensor has thrown out the fuel trim enough to upset the emissions but not put a light on the dash. It can happen. If they are a main dealer I'm sure you wouldn't have been charged. I'm not sticking up for them by no means. Just giving my opinion from working at a main dealer and being a mechanic

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:42 am

main dealers can be jokers-that takes the biccie though.....chancers-or crooks in suits,make your own mind up ....

jonson66
2nd Gear

Post by jonson66 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:52 am

arthur.d wrote:main dealers can be jokers-that takes the biccie though.....chancers-or crooks in suits,make your own mind up ....
Been thinking about this and I agree with you

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”