Brake work

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
jonytek
5th Gear

Brake work

Post by jonytek » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi guys, me again, my brake wear warning light has come on intermittently in the last couple of weeks so I need to get it in for a check up and looking for some info. I havent had the car long and from what I can see from the history the front disks and pads were done in 2010, 37000 miles ago. I want to try and take advantage of the sale at Euro Car Parts (over before I can get the car looked at) and get disks from there if I am going to need them. Is there any key signs to tell me what needs to be done or do I just need a pro to take a look? I know the front disks have a lip that seems around 1mm deep but still seem smooth vertically.

Would it be better to post some photos?

Cheers lads.
RS4 B7 - PLUSH BUILT | MRC WORKED
BUILD THREAD
IG: @bad_rs_4

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Brake work

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:21 pm

The front discs come as 34mm thick and should be replaced when they are down to 32mm. Do you have any calipers or other accurate measuring device to check their thickness? A 1mm lip would suggest they are down to 33mm (rough guide) which would equate to half their life. I think my pads last about 25,000 miles on the front and the discs about 50,000.

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:26 pm

Would the disks not be down to 32mm? I am assuming theres an equal amount of wear at the back. And what about the rear disks? Do they seem to last longer?
BUILD THREAD

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:32 pm

Yes im being a div, but it is hard to visual measure 1mm so measure to be sure. The rears last longer as they do much less braking than the fronts.

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Thanks again Mike. I haven't been in the UK for long so I have virtually no tools :thumbsdown: . I might try and borrow some, or maybe its time to start buying. Out of interest what is the effect of running worn disks? Does it cause the calipers to max out?
BUILD THREAD

Gazzaton
2nd Gear

Post by Gazzaton » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:29 am

Also going to be looking at my brakes today. Was advised at last service that the rear discs were borderline so, I'll be changing them today along with the pads. Any issues with getting the old pads and discs off?
Also, I need to look at the front brakes, there seems to be a grinding noise coming from them, which could just be down to the car lying stationary for 2 weeks. I'm also getting a strange judder or what feels like a warped disc when braking at low speeds. Can't feel it through the brake pedal though, feels more like a bent alloy (which it isn't) because you can feel the car kinda jerking, if that makes sense. Anybody any thoughts on what it could be?

P.S. Front discs and pads changed a couple of years ago, and don't do many miles a year so, plenty wear still on them.

P.P.S. Sorry for hijacking the original post.
'57 Avant, Black with black optics pack, milltek resonated and valved, 200 cell high-flow cats, de-vaned port n polished manifold, stage 2 remap, Revolution carbon-fibre induction kit

Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Post by Rw@@dy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:44 pm

Just make sure you have a calliper wind back tool for the rears to get the piston back enough to fit new pads. Other than that it's easy, don't even have to remove the calliper carrier to swap the discs

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”