Are straight pipes on a b7 "too" loud?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
birdiemachine
4th Gear

Are straight pipes on a b7 "too" loud?

Post by birdiemachine » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:19 pm

I had a straight piped r32 golf before my b7 and loved it.

At present my rs4 has milltek non Res and sports cats, would a decat system be ridiculous?

I've watched few videos on YouTube but hard to get a good impression of the noise level, it's not my daily driver and is only taken out at weekends for a Italian tune and to be washed.

Any advice most welcome as booking into mrc soon.

Cheers

Niall

FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Are straight pipes on a b7

Post by FaisalJ » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Hey mate

I reckon it'll be mental! I doubt you'd be able to live with it, and it'll be very anti-social! But *maybe* if you're only driving it at the weekends...

Is the milltek valved?

I think my JC Weldfab is at the top end of the volume scale that you can live with - and even then I keep the valves closed if I'm in a residential area at night - don't want to be waking up sleeping kids everywhere I go! 200 cell cats, x-pipe and backboxes with valves. More than loud enough in that configuration IMO!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Re: Are straight pipes on a b7 "too" loud?

Post by birdiemachine » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:34 pm

The milltek is non valved.

It's just hard to know and would love mrc to map it for flat shift and some flames which will require the cats removing.

The videos on YouTube are loud but not insane loud.

Have any members on here ever decatted one?

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:00 pm

birdiemachine wrote:The milltek is non valved.

It's just hard to know and would love mrc to map it for flat shift and some flames which will require the cats removing.

I had a fully decatted non-res non-valved miltek. Was VERY loud. MRC could only map at night as was to antisocial to map during the day. I liked it, but it was quite ASBO. Going straight pipes would just be a police magnet.
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

99hjackson
Neutral

Post by 99hjackson » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:36 pm

Never seen or heard one, but if you don't mind a little police attention and it's really just a toy then do it. Love the attention haha, I'm sure it would sound absolutely incredible.

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Post by birdiemachine » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 pm

RossDagley wrote:
birdiemachine wrote:The milltek is non valved.

I had a fully decatted non-res non-valved miltek. Was VERY loud. MRC could only map at night as was to antisocial to map during the day. I liked it, but it was quite ASBO. Going straight pipes would just be a police magnet.
By straight pipes I meant milltek decat and non Res system, was it silly loud?

Cheers for the replies lads. Where I live there isn't really any police and I wouldn't be driving around the town like a young fella looking for trouble. But if it's going to be so loud it's obnoxious I don't want to do it.

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:26 pm

ok gotcha. You don't mean no boxes at all (straight pipes). That makes more sense. My friend had a straight pipe on his S3 8P - 3" straight from turbo to exhaust. It sounded ill.

You'll be fine with the miltek non-res, non-valved fully decatted then. Although I'd urge you to go to JC Weldfab for a nicer sound and tell them that's the spec you want.

Here's mine on MRC rollers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J3E5IebpkM
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:30 pm

My Tubi was about as loud as straight puipes. Doug at MRC said it was actually louder than an RS4 with no exhaust on at all.
Whilst it was fun, it was really really loud! I kept getting stopped by the police, not for the noise (although they did always mention the exhaust) but just because they coukld hear me coming from so far away. Drive anywhere near the speed limit or drive on the clear inside lane at the speed limit whilst old people do 20 below the speed limit in clear outside lane and they will hear you then see you and pull you over. I even had my RS4 confiscated (for my driving not the noise but if I didn't have exhaust I probably would habve gone unnoticed)
Fun, but troublesome.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:23 pm

RossDagley wrote: Here's mine on MRC rollers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J3E5IebpkM
:FIREdevil: :FIREdevil: :FIREdevil:

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:45 pm

MikeFish wrote:My Tubi was about as loud as straight puipes. Doug at MRC said it was actually louder than an RS4 with no exhaust on at all.
Whilst it was fun, it was really really loud! I kept getting stopped by the police, not for the noise (although they did always mention the exhaust) but just because they coukld hear me coming from so far away. Drive anywhere near the speed limit or drive on the clear inside lane at the speed limit whilst old people do 20 below the speed limit in clear outside lane and they will hear you then see you and pull you over. I even had my RS4 confiscated (for my driving not the noise but if I didn't have exhaust I probably would habve gone unnoticed)
Fun, but troublesome.
Will never forget that day at AMD Mike when you brought it along, that was ridiculously loud, I could hear your car for easily over a mile away haha and on the rollers forget about it unless ear defenders or fingers in your ears
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Haha, yes Graham it was literally ear splitting on the dyno.

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Post by birdiemachine » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:18 pm

That's the kind of noise I am after

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:50 pm

birdiemachine wrote:That's the kind of noise I am after

My car starts at about 3:10, notice no-one is standing nearby for my run:

And me leaving, note it sounds like I'm going really fast and revving hard but I'm actually going fairly slow:

And on the dyno at MRC where it nearly knocks the camera over at about 53 seconds in:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10151214950761192

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Post by birdiemachine » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:01 pm

Mike that is nuts, I love it. Is that a Tubi Rumore linked to a milltek decat?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Tubi Rumore with a milltek H-pipe and Milltek non res centre section to make a cat-back system. The Tubi needed to be cut to mate to the Milltek centre section and this allowed me to easily swap the Milltek non-res centre section for the resonated version for those quieter days.
Pre-cats gutted but OEM cats still in place so passes MOT.
Last edited by MikeFish on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”