Are straight pipes on a b7 "too" loud?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Surrey Sam
Cruising

Re: Are straight pipes on a b7

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:32 pm

I was also there on that AMD dyno day. :nodder:

Should you really wish to awaken those lost souls in hell...then the Tubi system Mike had fitted there is the one. It was on a different level to a non res Miltek - which I personally find very anti-social.

I was stood in the carpark along with a few others, whilst that thing rev'd up on the dyno!
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:38 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:I was also there on that AMD dyno day. :nodder:

Should you really wish to awaken those lost souls in hell...then the Tubi system Mike had fitted there is the one. It was on a different level to a non res Miltek - which I personally find very anti-social.

I was stood in the carpark along with a few others, whilst that thing rev'd up on the dyno!
Yes, it's not one for a daily driver. Or if you want to hold a conversation with anyone in the car.

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Are straight pipes on a b7 "too" loud?

Post by birdiemachine » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:39 pm

All the work I want to get done at mrc is going to be north of 3.5k, sell the Gruppe m afterwards for say 500 for arguments sake, I really can't afford to buy a Tubi as well, as have just bought a daily driver and had to buy a new van for work for doing the deliveries as the old van shat itself and I'll also be forking out for the ferry £200 each way from Northern Ireland!

So milltek decat into a non Res it is for me for time being and gutted pre cats

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Re: Are straight pipes on a b7 "too" loud?

Post by birdiemachine » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Anyone wanting rid of a Tubi Rumore tho I will be happy to rehome it!

Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Post by Rw@@dy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:46 pm

There was one on eBay for just under 1k

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:46 pm

If you can find the current owner I'm pretty sure they might of had enough of it by now. The last person I know that had it was Deano_123 but I think he wanted to get rid of it. I think he has sold his car now as well. Maybe drop him a PM if you want it.

ASC
3rd Gear

Post by ASC » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:19 pm

i have decatted non res Miltek, loud but not that bad. Just did 500 mile round trip Scotland with wife and kids, no probs. No jip from the Mrs. Saw a few coppers too, just dip the clutch and free wheel past them..
Current - 07 Sprint Blue RS4 Avant Black optics / Buckets / FBSW / MRC Stage 2 / De flapped Manifold / CAF / BMC filter / Decat / Non Res Miltek / Bilstein B16's / Tarox discs, pads and lines / H&R ARBs / 19x9.5 Ispiri ISR1 wheels / MPSS tyres / DTM carbon splitter
Previous - 06 Sprint Blue B7 S4 Avant JHM 91 tune / 2.5" Custom Cat-less DP's / Miltek Non Res Cat back / BMC filter / H&R springs / 19" Fox MS007 wheels/Good Year F1's / EBC TG discs / Yellow stuff pads

Dannorton
2nd Gear

Post by Dannorton » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:56 am

I have a decatted non res milltek, so basically straight through apart from the back boxes! I love it, it's loud but I love the poping and crackling removing all the cats actually made it less droney so so much better on motorways etc! Need to get it mapped now as its running really rich an I end up stinking of fumes every time I go for a blast

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Post by birdiemachine » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:59 am

Would there be any chance you would Whatsapp me a few videos of it please??

Dannorton
2nd Gear

Post by Dannorton » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:03 am

Don't actually have any videos of it, I thought about getting a go pro so I could strap in to bumper! I could prob take some of it standing but it sounds completely different when driving and under load!

iainrs6
1st Gear

Post by iainrs6 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:10 am

a V8 can never be too loud.... can it?

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Sorry to harp on, but I think this is where the JCWF comes into it's own.

Mental loud with the valves open (probably not as loud as the Tubi, but i haven't heard one in person).

But, crucially, you can make the exhaust shut up too.

Niall - I know it's a fair wedge for the full system, but might be worth considering the catback version? If you're over in England anyway, JC Weldfab is about an hour from MRC.

Sell the milltek to offset the cost. You might even be able to get it sold before you come over, and the buyer could pick it up from JCWF.

Just a thought.

Skip to 4:57...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65SZXj4fTXA

The guys that came on the recent Scotland drive can probably tell you that the vid doesn't do justice to the sound, or the volume of it at WOT!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:28 pm

FaisalJ wrote:Sorry to harp on, but I think this is where the JCWF comes into it's own.

Mental loud with the valves open (probably not as loud as the Tubi, but i haven't heard one in person).

I'm just about to pick up an RS4. This is what I'm after - is it quiet enough not to annoy suburban neighbours at 5am with the valves closed? Yet obnoxious with them open?

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:48 pm

Don't think any cars with a high displacement engine are not going to annoy neighbours at 5a.m. Especially on cold start up.

But it's your car, so do what makes it sound how you want it to. I'd get the cold start mapped out, which will help massively. Then just keep the valves closed, revs low and feather the accelerator until you're far enough away and the car has warmed up enough.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:55 pm

AlexB7RS4 wrote:
FaisalJ wrote:Sorry to harp on, but I think this is where the JCWF comes into it's own.

I'm just about to pick up an RS4. This is what I'm after - is it quiet enough not to annoy suburban neighbours at 5am with the valves closed? Yet obnoxious with them open?
Obnoxious with valves open - yep.

Quiet enough for 5am startups? - Well, maybe not. My car has had the cold start mapped out, and the volume at idle isn't massively loud, but the issue is that on startup there is no vacuum pressure to hold the valves closed; so they're open for a couple of seconds. It sounds fantastic, but it's quite loud for those couple of seconds before the valves close and it settles down.

I've actually taken to freewheeling the car down the street (on a shallow hill), and starting it up at the bottom of the hill, if my kids are asleep. Just in case it'd wake my son otherwise, as his room looks into the street.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”