Music off SD Cards

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
st@rk
Neutral

Music off SD Cards

Post by st@rk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:31 pm

[Did search for this but couldn't find an answer - sorry if its been brought up before!]

Looking to run music off SD Cards until I get something permanent sorted out to plug my iPhone in directly for music.

I've tried dragging a small list of songs (approximately ten!) off iTunes onto a SD Card and then plugging it into the slots behind the screen and the system is showing that its 'loading' them, but it does this for over half an hour and shows no sign of completing.

Can anyone give me a basic 'how to' on putting them on the SD card correctly and getting them to load on the system to play? Off on a long road trip this coming weekend so needing to get it sorted in advance as even the six disc changer gets pretty repetitive quickly!!!

Cheers for any help!
Last edited by st@rk on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Music off Smart Cards

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:54 pm

If you search for SD card you will get loads of hits (I'm assuming you searched for smart cards whatever they are).
Also, is the SD card you are using an SD and not SDHC or SDXC type card? And formatted to FAT32?
I hate Apple and iTunes so can't really help other than to say you need the music in an mp3 format and I believe itunes doesnt rip or download as MP3 unless you tell it to or convert later. And arent they still protected by DRM to stop you playing on non Apple devices? So check the file format of the songs you have on the SD card.
Are you using a mac or a proper computer? I also recall macs adding some other files when copying to the SD card. There have been a few threads on how to avoid this happening.
Last edited by MikeFish on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PetrolDave
Cruising

Re: Music off Smart Cards

Post by PetrolDave » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:48 pm

st@rk wrote:I've tried dragging a small list of songs (approximately ten!) off iTunes onto a Smart Card and then plugging it into the slots behind the screen and the system is showing that its 'loading' them, but it does this for over half an hour and shows no sign of completing.
iTunes defaults to a format (AAC) that the RNS-E cannot play, you have to convert the files to either MP3 or WMA to play them on an SD card in an RNS-E.
iTunes does have a way to block translate files, but as I've never used it someone else will have to give the details.

The other key essentials are:
- it MUST be an SD card, not an SDHC or SDXC card.
- it must be formatted as FAT, the best option is FAT32
- there must be no more than 512 files plus folders on the SD card
- no path name (i.e. file name plus folder name) can exceed 64 characters
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

st@rk
Neutral

Re: Music off SD Cards

Post by st@rk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Thanks guys - limited experience using them so got confused - the card I have is an SDHC so I'll need to get a proper SD card. Using a proper (PC) computer on Windows so should make life a bit easier. Will search for SD Card and find out the rest - cheers!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:15 pm

SD cards are quite hard to find now. They will only come in a maximum of 4gb (be warned though, you can also get SDHC cards in a 4gb size). And it seems most places that still have stocks of them are charging over the odds for them. If you have enough time you could try putting a wnated thread on here as then you will get them for next to nothing from an ex owner (oops, just checked your original post, you are going this weekend, not much time).

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:17 pm

or play it safe and get a few 2gb cards as they are easy enough to swap out while driving. And they are easy enough to find on amazon etc and I think all 2gb cards are the right type ie not SDHC.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:18 pm

4gb SD:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPRAM-non-HC- ... d+not+sdhc
but no amazon prime option so may not arrive in time.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Whereabouts are you in the country?

Briggy
2nd Gear

Post by Briggy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:10 am

It's certainly possible to use a Mac to put mp3 files on your SD card, which RNSE can use. I don't have any Windows devices, so have no choice. You need to deal with actual files, rather than the iTunes interface. If you want some instructions, I can put something together for you.

Cheers,
Bryan

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:21 am

Briggy wrote:It's certainly possible to use a Mac to put mp3 files on your SD card, which RNSE can use. I don't have any Windows devices, so have no choice. You need to deal with actual files, rather than the iTunes interface. If you want some instructions, I can put something together for you.

Cheers,
Bryan
He is using itunes but on a windopws PC. Doesn't itnues store the files in the MyMusic folder but in some randomly named and unlogical folders?

Briggy
2nd Gear

Post by Briggy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:05 am

MikeFish wrote:
Briggy wrote:It's certainly possible to use a Mac to put mp3 files on your SD card, which RNSE can use. I don't have any Windows devices, so have no choice. You need to deal with actual files, rather than the iTunes interface. If you want some instructions, I can put something together for you.

Cheers,
Bryan
He is using itunes but on a windopws PC. Doesn't itnues store the files in the MyMusic folder but in some randomly named and unlogical folders?
D'oh! Hadn't read it properly.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”