Removing DRC

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Harris.
4th Gear

Removing DRC

Post by Harris. » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi , just been reading up on the DRC failures across many RS4 owners . I now have a very slight clonking noise from front N/S and O/S front . It feels like its below the pedals , just either side of the transmission tunnel . I don't think it helps that the car has stood for a while as I've not needed to use it (3rd car)

Theirs also a slight clonking when sitting still moving the wheel left to right

All the front arms lower and upper are new so I can eliminate them straight away

I've come across a Koni kit to replace the DRC system as if mine turns out to be faulty I would prefer to replace with aftermarket than keep going back to Audi with their unreliable system .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-sport-sh ... rmvSB=true

Has anyone here fitted the above ? Reviews would be good?

Thanks

coffey555
5th Gear

Re: Removing DRC

Post by coffey555 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Could be the stretch bolts on the steering rack needing replaced? Have a search on here as quite a common issue.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Will do, I'll take a look now.

Thanks

Seattle-squash
2nd Gear

Removing DRC

Post by Seattle-squash » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

On the coil-overs; I did the Bilstein pss9, and think it's a great substitute. Key is to find a good balance between how car performs in rough road conditions versus where the road is perfect and you want it to be planted. All and all I prefer it over stock, only time they can be slightly bouncy us while hitting a big dip/turn. However, roads are <beep> here in Dallas so I am running a 4/5 setting (f/r) where 1 is stiffest and 9 is softest, and ideally would like to tighten it up a bit but with pot-holes and cracks it's not worth it. Bilstein makes a great system. Seams like most people do the Pss9, Öhlins or the kW-v3.

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:52 pm

looking at the kit this would keep the basic spring rates the same just changing the dampers,presumably for a medium setting kit for the weight of the car
surely a good thing...
like above it would be good if somebody had feedback i"m about to buy one and this looks cost effective[very]

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:02 pm

Harris. wrote:I now have a very slight clonking noise from front N/S and O/S front.
DRC is diagonally coupled (NSF with OSR and OSF with NSR) so clonking from both fronts without the "death rattle" from the DRC valve block would suggest that the cause is more likely to be either steering rack bolts or suspension related than DRC.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

Lady Penelope
2nd Gear

Post by Lady Penelope » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:07 pm

+1 on Bilstein setup
RS4 B7 2007 Cabriolet Misano Red
Revolution carbon air intake, KW adjustable springs, Da Vinci 20" summer rims, OEM 19" winter chrome and black rims, Audi Ceramic front brakes, Milltek cat back non resonated valved exhaust, US spec black front grill, MRC stage 2, Piano black interior + cream leather buckets. EM Tuning dragon eyes and xenon upgrade, TTRS FBMF steering wheel, TV, Reversing camera, Nav, Red leather fitted luggage.

iduff
1st Gear

Post by iduff » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:11 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
Harris. wrote:I now have a very slight clonking noise from front N/S and O/S front.
DRC is diagonally coupled (NSF with OSR and OSF with NSR) so clonking from both fronts without the "death rattle" from the DRC valve block would suggest that the cause is more likely to be either steering rack bolts or suspension related than DRC.
+1.

Since the noise is both fronts, not diagonal, it's likely to be something other than the DRC. Look at steering rack, control arms.

Feel free to replace the DRC to mitigate historical and community concern noted in your original post, but will likely not address the clunking.
B7 RS4 Sedan, Phantom Black Pearl
Valved non-resonated Milltek with 200-cell DPs, and JHM tune, 10mm spacers
B8.5 Allroad, Monsoon Grey
CPO, stock

Former Quattros
B5 S4 Sedan, C4 S6 Avant, Type 89 Coupe Quattro, Type 44 Quattro Sedan

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks for the reply's . There is no knocking from the rear at all , just in the front foot wells . I've just go home so ill check what's been mentioned above .

Thanks also for the coilover advice

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks again for the advice , I changed the drop link bolts problem solved .

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”