My RS4 aka VINNIE thread

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
harding
3rd Gear

Re: My RS4 aka VINNIE thread

Post by harding » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:45 am

Pule333 wrote:034 is stiffer than OEM. Read what they say about it on their web site. + it will be highly unlikely it ever fail again.
MikeFish wrote:OEM mount is electro hydraulic and will vary the stifness in response to what the car is doing. The O34 ones are just solid mounts.
Is it just me or doesnt the oem sound abit more attractive? :boots:
Audi RS4 Avant
[2014]: blacked out wheels & grill: center res delete : flaps open
[2015]: brembo & yellowstuff : michelin pss : h&r spacers
[2016]: sachs performance clutch : decoked : led there be light : black window trim
[2017]: stertman stage 1 : black headlights & clear corner mod : gruppe m air intake : gutted resonators

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:52 am

harding wrote:
Pule333 wrote:034 is stiffer than OEM. Read what they say about it on their web site. + it will be highly unlikely it ever fail again.
MikeFish wrote:OEM mount is electro hydraulic and will vary the stifness in response to what the car is doing. The O34 ones are just solid mounts.
Honestly? Not to me.
I guess all depends how you drive your car. If you are heavy on the gas, than I assume your mounts would always be in the harder setting than go for 034 mounts to avoid any future faults.
If you are on the other hand don't drive it like you stole it, have wife, 3 kids and a mother in law in the back, while delivering 5 dozens of eggs on a front seat. Than by all means go with OEM. For me hard = more control when I want it and not the electronic brain. Besides I had them on my other car for 3+ years and was very happy with their performance. Hence I did not even hesitate to install them here.
Good luck.
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:35 am

Pule333 wrote:
harding wrote:
Honestly? Not to me.
I guess all depends how you drive your car. If you are heavy on the gas, than I assume your mounts would always be in the harder setting than go for 034 mounts to avoid any future faults.
If you are on the other hand don't drive it like you stole it, have wife, 3 kids and a mother in law in the back, while delivering 5 dozens of eggs on a front seat. Than by all means go with OEM. For me hard = more control when I want it and not the electronic brain. Besides I had them on my other car for 3+ years and was very happy with their performance. Hence I did not even hesitate to install them here.
Good luck.
Many of us sometimes drive like we stole it, and sometimes with wife, kids, eggs, etc.

That's where the OEM mounts are IMHO better - they adjust according to how you are driving at the time. Yes permanently hard mounts will give better control when you're on it, but is the compromise of a harsher secondary ride when you're cruising worth it? That's a personal call...

IMHO it's the same with DRC - soft and compliant (certainly compared to my previous B6 S4s) when you're cruising, but controlled when you're on it.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:48 am

Is it noticeably different in handling characteristics?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:38 pm

PetrolDave wrote: Many of us sometimes drive like we stole it, and sometimes with wife, kids, eggs, etc.

That's where the OEM mounts are IMHO better - they adjust according to how you are driving at the time. Yes permanently hard mounts will give better control when you're on it, but is the compromise of a harsher secondary ride when you're cruising worth it? That's a personal call...

IMHO it's the same with DRC - soft and compliant (certainly compared to my previous B6 S4s) when you're cruising, but controlled when you're on it.
+1

It's not just about being hard becuase you're on it, there are vibrations when idling etc.
As Dave says, it is similar to the DRC benefits, the best of both worlds.

And as Harding says, OEM does sound better (to some of us), but they cost more money too. The cost of an OEM engine mount is around £250 each just for the parts. I just had one replaced, luckily it was the one under the starter motor and I was having the starter motor changed at the same time so saved a bit of labour having them done at the same time.

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:46 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
Pule333 wrote:
harding wrote: Is it just me or doesnt the oem sound abit more attractive? :boots:
Honestly? Not to me.
Good luck.
Many of us sometimes drive like we stole it, and sometimes with wife, kids, eggs, etc.

thats the thing, I have been in 3 rs4s with OEM mounts before and honestly can not tell the difference in idling or cruising vibrations.. I will be at Boxhill meet on the 25th of anyone wants to feel it with their own test device ;)

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

pule333
5th Gear

My RS4 aka VINNIE thread

Post by pule333 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:48 pm

marc1 wrote:Is it noticeably different in handling characteristics?
Yes but my OEM mounts were knackered so I can not say for sure. I haven't driven other Rs4s as hard as mine so don't know. But 034 mounts suit my driving style 100%

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

harding
3rd Gear

Post by harding » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:31 pm

Pule333 wrote: If you are on the other hand don't drive it like you stole it, have wife, 3 kids and a mother in law in the back, while delivering 5 dozens of eggs on a front seat. Than by all means go with OEM.
Hahaha i laughed so hard at this. :biggrin3:
Not married nor have i children but(!) my mother in law loves the car. However, i must admit - since its a daily i almost always drive it like an old man.
My friends call me the worlds oldest 28 year old :boohoo:

So perhaps i should listen to Mike and Dave. I think the oem's will be best for me. One cannot put a price tag on comfort, huh?
Thanks for the info guys!
Audi RS4 Avant
[2016]: sachs performance clutch : decoked : led there be light : black window trim
[2017]: stertman stage 1 : black headlights & clear corner mod : gruppe m air intake : gutted resonators

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:36 pm

harding wrote:
Pule333 wrote: If you are on the other hand don't drive it like you stole it, have wife, 3 kids and a mother in law in the back, while delivering 5 dozens of eggs on a front seat. Than by all means go with OEM.
Hahaha i laughed so hard at this. :biggrin3:
Not married nor have i children but(!) my mother in law loves the car. However, i must admit - since its a daily i almost always drive it like an old man.
My friends call me the worlds oldest 28 year old :boohoo:

So perhaps i should listen to Mike and Dave. I think the oem's will be best for me. One cannot put a price tag on comfort, huh?
Thanks for the info guys!
:)
Mate, in your case, I think it a no brainer!! 180€ for both and a mate at Audi. I recone a six pack for his troubles and you laughing...

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

harding
3rd Gear

Post by harding » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:01 pm

Pule333 wrote:I recone a six pack for his troubles and you laughing...
In sweden we dont do sixpack. We do the 24pack... Come on over! :thumbs:
Audi RS4 Avant

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:05 pm

harding wrote:
Pule333 wrote:I recone a six pack for his troubles and you laughing...
In sweden we dont do sixpack. We do the 24pack... Come on over! :thumbs:
In Sweeden I would say a 24pack is just an aperitif!! :) when do you get enough snow to test the Quattro m?? :)

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:01 am

So it's been a busy weekend for me again. :)
First thing first.
iPhone 6s+ cradle and a charger...
Can tip and rotate. But the best thing about it is that the phone is secure there and not flying about the cabin while I am still trying to find the limit when this thing brakes traction lol..
Second on my to do list was fitting a sub I had in my other a4. Since I decided to keep the OEM head unit and a Bose system, lack of bass was kinda obvious.
After I disassembled rear trunk side compartment, I found this thing inside...
Well I know what it is but that was still a surprise since my sub box is much larger..
Let's get the tools out.. After 5 min we have a new box.. ImageImageImage
Now that the box was sorted, time to find remote switch from OEM amp.
It's pin 6Image
Although it is controlled by Can-bus it does actually switch off after 45seconds of locking the car.
Attaching high to low RCA converter
Decided not to run sub remote to the dash but instead run it to rear ashtray. Nice and convenient for rear pass angers if the bass is too much:) + I can reach with my hand while driving no probs.
Run the cables, fit the box.Image
Finished work. Time to adjust the settings a little :) but what a difference!!!!
Also did this little tweak :) changed the Color of the rs logo.. I think I am loving the result.. Cheapest RS4 mod lol. 1.59£ from eBay blue vinyl.Image
Than on to the highlight of the weekend :) I don't think it needs explanation... Total cost £45 from demon tweaks...
ImageImage

And went for a drive to scout a location for a shoot... For now only iPhone pictures, but I will be back with my gear next time...
ImageImage

Ps. Changed the d1s bulbs to 12000k.
Nice and blue.. Almost with a purple tint. Although not as bright as the 6000k I had before but good enough for now...

Of to Donington park tomorow!!! Wo ho!!!

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:15 am

Good work, car is progressing nicely.

Just a thought; why did you tale the feed for the amp from the high level side of the bose amp then convert it to low level then high level again ie already amplified then convert and amplify it again rather than take it from the low level side if the bose ie before it gets amplified? This gives a much cleaner signal. Granted you won't hear a great difference with just sub frequencies but the extra distortion could be 'silently' killing your sub.

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:39 pm

MikeFish wrote:Good work, car is progressing nicely.

Just a thought; why did you tale the feed for the amp from the high level side of the bose amp then convert it to low level then high level again ie already amplified then convert and amplify it again rather than take it from the low level side if the bose ie before it gets amplified? This gives a much cleaner signal. Granted you won't hear a great difference with just sub frequencies but the extra distortion could be 'silently' killing your sub.
Good question. I am afraid I don't have an answer to that :) perhaps I could not find a cable before the amp.. Or did not look for it close enough.

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:47 pm

Had my first track day in the RS4.. Oh boy was I impressed!!!
Donington Park s a wonderful place to race! Smooth flowing track with 120mph straights and technical chicanes.. Loved it!!!
And the car did it with out even breaking a sweat!!
The brakes were an obvious weak spot.. After 5-6 laps they were not as effective but still managed to its job... Already planing next track day!!! I think track tyres is a must!!!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Got some great footage with my go-pro. Will send it to my editor to make something great with it he he.

Also had a few minutes to spare today and wrapped the front grill surround in Matt black vinyl... It was bothering me big time!!!ImageImage

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

Return to “Readers' Rides”