Aircon drain location

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
ewand
Neutral

Aircon drain location

Post by ewand » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:40 pm

I've been planning to squirt some of the Wurth disinfectant (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wurth-0893764 ... SwezVWvJt8) into my aircon as it smells a bit musty and kind-of damp. Ran the car today, jacked it up and got underneath, and although I can see where the condensed water is flowing out, it's not obvious where it's coming from - in fact, it looks like it's dribbling out from behind the exhaust heat shield rather than being a pipe or opening.

I undid a couple of the bolts holding the heatshield on but still couldn't determine an exact outlet - can anyone help with a diagram or an exact description of what I should be looking for?

Thanks!
Ewan
8V S3 cab - Ara Blue
Lotus Evora 400 - Racing Green
Ex owner B7 RS4 - Mugello Blue, B8 S5 Cab - Sprint Blue, D3 A8

Daytona
3rd Gear

Re: Aircon drain location

Post by Daytona » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:47 pm

I was just thinking the same thing, not found the answer yet though!

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:54 pm

you dont spray it into the drain :shock: go by the intructions on the can if the water is draining out then its working as it should because when the gas is released through the valve into the core it cools down the core which causes condensation on its surface which is unavoidable and then it runs off and drains away outside through a pipe so in your case its not blocked , over time the evaporator core which is inside along with the heater core gets damp and bugs/mould grow on it and hence the fusty smell , mostly its a case of putting the aircon on full fan and on recirc obviously with the engine running and sit the can on the floor in the footwell , once the can is activated shut the door and leave it for however long it recommends , usually 5 mins that circulated the poison to kill the bugs which are farting out gas :thumbs:
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque
1/4 mile 12.01 secs 123.5mph

Daytona
3rd Gear

Post by Daytona » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Maybe we're thinking of some sort of bung or inspection cover that gives access to the core or matrix or whatever it's called! Evaporator, that's the one!

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:21 pm

no you cant access it without removing most of the dash ,and is pointless really as i posted before , the spray cleaner/bug/mould killer circulates around the car ventilation system and blows through the fins and attaches itself to the outside of the evap core , (just like a car engine radiator ) the instructions will be on the can, or paperwork with it , piss easy done it thoosans o times in my career as a tech
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:11 pm

rwilsonrs4 wrote:you dont spray it into the drain :shock: go by the intructions on the can if the water is draining out then its working as it should because when the gas is released through the valve into the core it cools down the core which causes condensation on its surface which is unavoidable and then it runs off and drains away outside through a pipe so in your case its not blocked , over time the evaporator core which is inside along with the heater core gets damp and bugs/mould grow on it and hence the fusty smell , mostly its a case of putting the aircon on full fan and on recirc obviously with the engine running and sit the can on the floor in the footwell , once the can is activated shut the door and leave it for however long it recommends , usually 5 mins that circulated the poison to kill the bugs which are farting out gas :thumbs:
The one he is talking about has a long nozzle rather than the "bomb" type which you just set off in the car. If anyone finds out how to do this simply as I have a can I can't use too...

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:02 pm

I do mine every year now it's a 10 year old car. Spend £6 on one of these...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007C6Q6XA

larger volume than most of the aerosol types. Works a treat.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:12 pm

ok ,i never opened the link , i have never used that type probably for that reason as in most cases its a right PITA to get to and how do you know that its even in the correct place , maybe its right at the bottom or against something and it maybe doesnt have a good effect or maybe it does ? , so thats why i used the bomb type which has no choice but circulate round the whole evaporator core ,and never had any customers complaining about it after so much easier IMO

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”