Why we need to Decoke our engines

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Noyjatat
Top Gear

Re: Why we need to Decoke our engines

Post by Noyjatat » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:36 am

Might also be worth mentioning there is more than one level of clean as well which may effect your gains. I would never tell anyone on here what they should or shouldn't do. I only really post when I like something or have personal experience to do with a topic.

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:48 am

Noyjatat wrote:If you had already made up your mind and didn't want different views why did you post the topic.

That first three months of a whole 16hp your talking about for £900 a time really isn't worth it in my case.
The post was intended for showing before and after the CC :) and not in anyway asking for advice! I have done enough research to know that this treatment is NOT permanent and will be back fairly soon. Some say 3-6 months. I feel a bit different.
But in any case, thank you all for your input!
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:53 am

Noyjatat wrote:I would never tell anyone on here what they should or shouldn't do. I only really post when I like something or have personal experience to do with a topic.
+1

Opinions are what you get here - it's up to each individual to make up their own mind what they do to their car.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:54 am

FaisalJ wrote:Ilya - Once you've been on the forum a bit longer, you'll soon realise this is a frequent topic on here and everyone has a different opinion!

Therefore, you'll get a range of responses. Other polarised topics; Tyres, OEM wheels vs aftermarket, DRC vs coillies etc...

Anyway - so what were your post clean figures?

A little tip - if you have a vag com or a bluetooth OBD2 reader, might be worth noting your peak airflow reading now (post clean). You can then test it again in future to assess how bad the carbon buildup is getting; the airflow percentage decrease should roughly translate to the percentage decrease in power. You can get a bluetooth dongle cheap off EBay for a few £; I got one called an "ELM327". The version I got worked over bluetooth with an android phone (app called Torque), but there seems to be a wifi version now that may work with the iphone.

Actually, I wish I'd taken a monthly reading post clean to see how bad it was getting and how quickly. That would be really useful info.

The other thing I've wondered; we know that cleaning agents nothing to remove buildup once it's established, but I wonder if they have any benefit as preventative measures. I'm not thinking about hydrogen cleaning type treatments, but something like the Subaru SA459 upper engine cleaner (a manufacturer mandated service item every 6K km), or seafoam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZuU7DOuOqM

What would be fantastic, if we could ever arrange it, would be to have 2 cars cleaned at roughly the same time, both take monthly MAF readings for say a year, with one regularly cleaned out with seafoam/Subaru cleaner, and the other left alone.

By the way, the only topic with which there is absolutely no disagreement is that we all know avants are the better shape....
Yeah I have noticed how some topics get a tendency to grow in to a full blown arguments lol.
But I was just trying to show what was inside and what it's after the clean..

Anyhow, I do have both VagCom and dongle so was planing to do what you have suggested anyways ;)

That Subaru treatment looks interesting. I am in to try it out

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:55 am

PetrolDave wrote:
Noyjatat wrote:I would never tell anyone on here what they should or shouldn't do. I only really post when I like something or have personal experience to do with a topic.
+1

Opinions are what you get here - it's up to each individual to make up their own mind what they do to their car.
Now I 100% agree with you Dave ;)

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

Noyjatat
Top Gear

Post by Noyjatat » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:10 am

When will it back on the rollers for the comparison run buddy?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:21 pm

FaisalJ wrote:
MikeFish wrote:
FaisalJ wrote:
By the way, the only topic with which there is absolutely no disagreement is that we all know avants are the better shape....
Faisal, you were doing well there, then you blew it with that last statement! Heavier and uglier does not make a it a better car.
Hehe, took a whole 4 minutes for someone to bite :D
You didn't seriously think we'd let that one go, did you? :biggrin3:

Shinobi675
5th Gear

Post by Shinobi675 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:16 am

Ceramic brakes... You can stop 72 times earlier with them!

:D
996 C4S, B8 RS4, CBR600RR & a little ZXR400

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:16 am

Pule333 wrote: The post was intended for showing before and after the CC :) and not in anyway asking for advice!
It probably didn't help that the title you put on this topic was "why we need to decoke our engines".

Your car, apparently never decoked, had only mild buildup and still makes as much power as most of them did from the factory when they were tested by new owners back in the day. So the need was more like a want - of course it's a free world!

Personally I'd like to see before and after 3-8K tests, seen plenty of before/after cleaning pictures already.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:06 am

JCviggen wrote:
Pule333 wrote: The post was intended for showing before and after the CC :) and not in anyway asking for advice!
It probably didn't help that the title you put on this topic was "why we need to decoke our engines".

Your car, apparently never decoked, had only mild buildup and still makes as much power as most of them did from the factory when they were tested by new owners back in the day. So the need was more like a want - of course it's a free world!

Personally I'd like to see before and after 3-8K tests, seen plenty of before/after cleaning pictures already.
Yeah my bad... But it didn't have a question mark at the end ;) more of statement that was. Anyhow, all done. Picking it up today. Will post figures later.

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:15 pm

So got my car back. Not the most impressive numbers but almost 10% increase. Drives sharper in S mode. The sound is very pleasant! Thanks FaisalJ ;)
Before decoke it showed 384 on the dyno and after 415.
I am happy! And this is what matters most! Right?))) case closed!Image

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

Noyjatat
Top Gear

Post by Noyjatat » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:21 pm

I see you had a remap as well after the decoke buddy.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Well done and as you say you're pleased and that is what matters, agreed.
I dropped mine off at MRC this morning for a full carbon clean as it's loosing 12' of timing at the top end. I'll keep you posted on progress.
:thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Noyjatat
Top Gear

Post by Noyjatat » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:11 pm

I wonder if the AMD one is a basic or full clean, anyone know?

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:22 pm

Nice one!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”