Gearbox fault - advice?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
TobyRS4
2nd Gear

Gearbox fault - advice?

Post by TobyRS4 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:17 pm

Have just been out in the car and it's decided to not allow partial gear select, looks like a slight oil leak underneath that is possibly gearbox oil, clutch still functional but difficulty getting going but happily moving when in gear have been recovered to home but just wondering on any thoughts? New clutch and DMF at Audi last October only a couple of K ago and only one week later from full health check and full service at MRC, gearbox oil wasn't changed or touched at MRC though however I have noticed a couple of gear changes from 2nd to 3rd has been a slight crunch as of late.

Anybody had this happen or ideas as to fault?
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 - Black/Titanium optics, Anthracite OEM 19's, De-resonated OEM Exhaust, TTRS FBSW, MRC Stage 2 De-flapped manifold, Full Carbon Clean, MRC Stage 2 Re-map, 431.5 BHP...... must...not...spend....more...

pixsaudisex2
2nd Gear

Re: Gearbox fault - advice?

Post by pixsaudisex2 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Partially. ?

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Is there any whine or excessive noise when moving Toby? If not, then get it up on a ramp and start inspecting for broken mountings etc, that may throw out alignment of the mechanical drive line. Hope you get to the bottom of it :thumbs:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:20 pm

Any unusual drop in the engine oil level?

When I had a similar gear selection problem (many years ago and not on the RS4) the problem turned out to be a leaking rear engine oil seal which stopped the clutch from disengaging cleanly and at it's normal rate.

Try pressing the clutch, counting to 3 and then changing gear - if the gears then engage cleanly I'd suspect oil/fluid contamination.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

TobyRS4
2nd Gear

Post by TobyRS4 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:31 pm

Engine oil level hasn't changed at all, oil that has dropped is only a few drops but definitely not engine oil as its clean not dark, clutch engages and disengages ok and pedal feels fine as before.

No whine once it's moving but Judders getting moving and when I mean partially selectable you have to fish around to find a gear, I'm leaning towards synchro failure or selector failure although potentially an overheated box causing the leak.

Fingers crossed not any casing damage from a parts failure.

Will send it on a low loader to MRC and go from there I think
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 - Black/Titanium optics, Anthracite OEM 19's, De-resonated OEM Exhaust, TTRS FBSW, MRC Stage 2 De-flapped manifold, Full Carbon Clean, MRC Stage 2 Re-map, 431.5 BHP...... must...not...spend....more...

TobyRS4
2nd Gear

Post by TobyRS4 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Just had the fateful call from MRC, as I suspected synchros have lunched themselves, thankfully the box itself is ok some new synchros and a full refurb on the box and it will be good once again.

My suspicions on a failing 2nd to 3rd synchro were correct too as this was worn too however a contributing factor was more than likely the gearbox oil itself not having been replaced regularly enough, an easy job that id advise everyone add to a routine service as the box had effectively overheated itself on old oil.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:34 am

That's bad luck Toby, sorry to hear this.

Yes, gearbox oil and diff oil changes are always a good thing to do. Did mine around 45k miles.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:26 pm

Thanks for the tip Toby, will be checking when they were last done on mine.

At least it's not a new box! I'm always a bit relieved when you finally get to the bottom of an issue and then there's a clear plan of action to get it fixed. Hopefully MRC will have it sorted soon for you.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

TobyRS4
2nd Gear

Post by TobyRS4 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:34 pm

Will be a couple of weeks yet as the synchros are on back order, but it does highlight the importance of in depth maintenance somewhat!

Your right Faisal although I will get a good chunk of peace of mind from having a freshly refurbed box once its done too, and thankfully the repair isn't too expensive so I should still be able to justify going ahead with the plans for Carbon clean, Stage 2 intake and stage 2 map whilst its in with MRC so will be changed car when i get it back! :kissmyrings:

Just don't anybody show the Mrs the receipt...... :sekret:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”