Oil cooler threads!!! Yes or No??

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
RichieRS
4th Gear

Oil cooler threads!!! Yes or No??

Post by RichieRS » Sun May 15, 2016 1:30 pm

So after prolonging the change of the dreaded cooler pipes I finally stripped the cooler off this morning. They weren't dripping at all but there was evidence it was getting worse from oil residue on pipe work and components just behind the cooler pipes.

So I decided to tread as carefully as possible when removing the pipes and went about splitting nuts by grinding through them on both sides and splitting into 2.

Below are the picks the threads as they stand.

Just want know what anyone's opinions are as to whether they are ok to use again?

One is certainly better than the other but to me but they both have some clean thread in amongst the bit of corrosion which is mainly between the threads
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

davers6
3rd Gear

Re: Oil cooler threads!!! Yes or No??

Post by davers6 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:05 pm

I think you'll be fine use some copper grease or moly grease and don't over tighten them

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Sun May 15, 2016 6:23 pm

davers6 wrote:I think you'll be fine use some copper grease or moly grease and don't over tighten them
Cheers Dave :thumbs:

If I can't limit the expenditure fixing this then I will be very happy. After a good few views of this thread no one has said that's it's a no-no so I guess it will be a matter of have a go and if they strip then it's time for a new cooler.

Robnic
3rd Gear

Post by Robnic » Sun May 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi,

You can use a thread file to clean them some more but go lightly being alloy. Brake manufacturers advise us to no longer use copper slip as the two disimilar metals combined can cause galvanic corrosion so defeats the object, we use tubes of Pagid grease this would be fine for your threads to ECP sell it.

You've done a good job of splitting the unions, Dremels' with cutting bits are good for that job to. Link below for thread file - use the end to match the pitch

Cheers

Rob

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREAD-RESTOR ... SwnOJWFSkP
B7 RS4 MTM K540 Sprint loon, Lysholm/Opcon twin-screw supercharger, Ceramics, HEL Hoses, Loba SM Fly, Sachs performance clutch kit, MTM full stainless exhaust system with freeflow cats & quad valved tailpipes, Hotchkis ARB's, Bilstein B16 Coil Overs, LED Rear lights, Interior & LED 50W DRL's, Buckets in race cloth, Black optics, FBSW, Titanium pack, Solar Sunroof, Adaptive lights, MTM 10mm spacers Fr & Rr, 193 Nav unit, 2nd careful owner :-)

davers6
3rd Gear

Post by davers6 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:34 pm

They suffer galvanic corrosion when dry I've found grease stops it and lubricates at same time but not saying there's a better product now

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Sun May 15, 2016 7:53 pm

davers6 wrote:They suffer galvanic corrosion when dry I've found grease stops it and lubricates at same time but not saying there's a better product now

Yeah. Understand the whole galvanic corrosion bit and the only way to potentially avoid it is by water out. Will lather it in some form of water repellant (copper grease, duraloc etc) hopefully going the JHM route as well so the anodised fittings will hopefully help

Robnic
3rd Gear

Post by Robnic » Sun May 15, 2016 7:53 pm

It needs to be wet for galavanic corrosion to take place the water acts as the electrolyte, basically any grease (without copper in it) will do, the grease will keep the water at bay and obviously lube the threads as well. Not saying Copaslip will cause it but best practice not to use it.
B7 RS4 MTM K540 Sprint loon, Lysholm/Opcon twin-screw supercharger, Ceramics, HEL Hoses, Loba SM Fly, Sachs performance clutch kit, MTM full stainless exhaust system with freeflow cats & quad valved tailpipes, Hotchkis ARB's, Bilstein B16 Coil Overs, LED Rear lights, Interior & LED 50W DRL's, Buckets in race cloth, Black optics, FBSW, Titanium pack, Solar Sunroof, Adaptive lights, MTM 10mm spacers Fr & Rr, 193 Nav unit, 2nd careful owner :-)

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:54 pm

looks ok , its not the thread that seals it its the taper where the pipes connect that is the sealing face , so if the nt spins on ok and tightens without galling it will be worth it :thumbs:
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque
1/4 mile 12.01 secs 123.5mph

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Sun May 15, 2016 9:16 pm

Robnic wrote:It needs to be wet for galavanic corrosion to take place the water acts as the electrolyte, basically any grease (without copper in it) will do, the grease will keep the water at bay and obviously lube the threads as well. Not saying Copaslip will cause it but best practice not to use it.

Cheers for the info Rob :thumbs:
rwilsonrs4 wrote:looks ok , its not the thread that seals it its the taper where the pipes connect that is the sealing face , so if the nt spins on ok and tightens without galling it will be worth it :thumbs:
Yes I did see that the tapered pipe creates the seal which as you said means the thread is simply to keep the pipe tightly in place.

Guess I will just give it a whirl and see what comes of it.

Cheers guys :thumbs: :thumbs:

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun May 15, 2016 10:28 pm

Pirtek can make you a set of pipes up and may well be able to pressure test the final rad with pipes fitted
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Sun May 15, 2016 11:17 pm

Covkiller wrote:Pirtek can make you a set of pipes up and may well be able to pressure test the final rad with pipes fitted

Cheers for the advice :thumbs:

Would they require the old pipes to work from?

weekenny
2nd Gear

Post by weekenny » Sun May 15, 2016 11:49 pm

You can give them the old ones or just a length and what size fittings for either end.

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Mon May 16, 2016 11:46 am

weekenny wrote:You can give them the old ones or just a length and what size fittings for either end.
:thumbs:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”