Best polish and sealant for Sprint blue

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
hector8
2nd Gear

Best polish and sealant for Sprint blue

Post by hector8 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:08 am

Just thought I would ask other sprint blue owners what they are using.

I currently use

*Megs compound then
*Poorboys black hole
*Autoglym resin polish
*Autoglym high gloss protection or megs paint protect sealant

I would machine twice a year at most then just polish and seal most months.

Can anyone recommend something else. I am happy with results but there are soo many to try and test
Last edited by hector8 on Tue May 10, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobyRS4
2nd Gear

Re: Best polish and sealant for Sprint blue

Post by TobyRS4 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:15 am

I like the poorboy's black hole glaze and dodo juice wax, the wax especially brings the metallic out in sprint blue, goes on and off well and beads nicely in the rain but is a pain in the arse to get out of the tub unless its warm as its a hard wax.

Don't really rate the resin polish it creates a lot of dust/residue when buffing off, and id be careful about machining too often unless your using a paint depth gauge to monitor thin spots as every going over depending on the how abrasive the cutting compound is will thin the paint/lacquer.
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 - Black/Titanium optics, Anthracite OEM 19's, De-resonated OEM Exhaust, TTRS FBSW, MRC Stage 2 De-flapped manifold, Full Carbon Clean, MRC Stage 2 Re-map, 431.5 BHP...... must...not...spend....more...

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:35 am

I haven't machine polished the RS4 yet as it was detailed when I bought it and still has minimal swirl marks as I am religious about the wash method:-
Snow foam dry car using Valet Pro pH neutral
Allow to dwell for a few mins while I clean the wheels
Rinse then 2 bucket wash with lambs wool mitt
Spray car down with Valet Pro quick detailer and dry using Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth drying towel
If I had to polish I would use Menzerna Show Finish followed by Poorboys Black Hole (as stated above this is a great product), then Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 (2 coats) and topped off with Collinite 915 wax.
Last time I did a full detail like this was on my black Mk5 GTi and it took 3 days. My wife just didn't understand it all!!!

hector8
2nd Gear

Post by hector8 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:13 pm

Cheers,

I have just paint corrected once and probably wont need to again.

When I say machine polish, its a light hex pad. Just applying and not cutting. Totally aware of the damage it can do to paint when moving into heavier pads.

Its the general polishing and sealing I am really interested in

Pete, my wife is the same. I think she understands now but gets annoyed when her Touran only gets a 30 minute wash

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue May 10, 2016 2:37 pm

Any of you guys tried chemical guys jetseal 109? I was impressed with how easy it is to apply and remove. No dust either.

http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Chemical_ ... _p/jet.htm

Used it on the Mrs' Golf:

2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

CaptainLeadFoot
2nd Gear

Post by CaptainLeadFoot » Tue May 10, 2016 5:11 pm

I used either of these combos:

megs deep crystal polish + show car glaze #7 + yellow wax #26

autoglym ultra deep shine + HD wax

these are good enough with hand polish, and lasts quite a long time. The showcar glaze is slightly tricky to use as you will see an oil film after you buff off and will disappear when it cures dry.

I tried aircraft polish too on my previous car in deep red, it worked the best with the deepest shine and long lasting effect, but getting aircraft polish is slightly difficult because the quantity is so small you can only take some from friends who maintains aircrafts.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu May 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Just looking at buying some new products after a trip to Audi yesterday and securing a six month old Mythos Black. It's only an A3 for my dad, nothing quattro sorry!

I bought him a 'car cleaning kit for dummies' when we got his previous A3. To my surprise he really got into it and ended up adding Collinite (915) to his kit which he loves and has the patience to apply. I'm thinking of buying him something else to add to his kit - something like Dodo Juice Purple Haze. A bit old school perhaps? (love Dodo Juice Diamond White Carnauba Wax - looks great on my white 205 GTI and gives insane beading despite being a soft wax and so easy and fast to apply - even ended up using that on my S4 a few times!)

Nothing like as durable as hard Collinite, so whilst they are both technically waxes, maybe he can carry on using Collinite when he has plenty of time, but use the Dodo Juice instead when he has less time but wants to really make it shine?
B5 B6 B7 B9

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Fri May 13, 2016 10:22 am

Any comments guys? Maybe buy Autoglym HD Wax as a top coat instead of the Collinite? Or maybe Poorboys Blackhole underneath Collinite?

Any recommendations for a 'last touch' glaze to go on top of Autoglym HD / Collinite? Not just a quick detailer spray, but something we can apply on top to increase the shine?
B5 B6 B7 B9

CaptainLeadFoot
2nd Gear

Post by CaptainLeadFoot » Fri May 13, 2016 4:18 pm

the layering should be polish/glaze, sealant then topped off by wax in this order. Wax will disintegrate first so if you put it at the bottom layer imagine the rest on top will not stick.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Fri May 13, 2016 4:54 pm

CaptainLeadFoot wrote:the layering should be polish/glaze, sealant then topped off by wax in this order. Wax will disintegrate first so if you put it at the bottom layer imagine the rest on top will not stick.
So don't put anything on top of Collinite or Dodo Juice or Autoglym HD Wax?

So something like Poorboys Blackhole underneath might be worth trying first? Seems to get good reviews from owners of black cars on here. :thumbs:
B5 B6 B7 B9

hector8
2nd Gear

Post by hector8 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:49 pm

I thought you only ever waxed or sealed.... not both??

CaptainLeadFoot
2nd Gear

Post by CaptainLeadFoot » Fri May 13, 2016 6:34 pm

@Ian_C, yes wax should be the top most layer, and you can top up as needed.

@hector, you can layer wax on top of sealent, the sealent gives the shine and protection but if you want the warm depth you need to add wax. A lot of times it's better to wax the car after the sealent is fully cured after a week of putting the sealant on for best results.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Fri May 13, 2016 8:08 pm

Think I'll go for the Poorboys then. :thumbs:

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/poorboys- ... hicles.php

Poorboys Black Hole (polish), Autoglym EGP (sealant, already own) then Collinite (wax, already own)
B5 B6 B7 B9

G4RETH
Neutral

Post by G4RETH » Fri May 13, 2016 10:08 pm

A coat of Autosmart platinum followed by a coat of Autobrite Spray Abyss gives this result.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

mf51y
2nd Gear

Post by mf51y » Fri May 13, 2016 10:48 pm

I've read all the posts so iam nearly there...ive just got a black hyundai as an everyday runner don't laugh so fresh paint so no need for poorboys blackhole filler what about just natty wax paste on the top....p.s it's cheap to fuel tax and run a good choice lol :beerchug: :bigblink:
Mugello blue avant black optics...Nearly standard...milltek resonated valved, spaced 10 rear 8 front☺

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”