Annual service looms - groaning from front, brake warbling?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
murph7355
3rd Gear

Annual service looms - groaning from front, brake warbling?

Post by murph7355 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:55 pm

Car's going in for its annual service on Friday. I've noticed a couple of things with it recently that I'm going to ask are checked out, but has anyone experienced the following before?
  • At low speeds (parking and a bit above, say to 10mph) I hear and feel a groaning through the front end. I can feel it through both the steering and the pedals. I don't feel it at higher speeds, nor hear it. But as there's plenty of other stuff going on at speed I may just not have noticed it. Happens more often with some lock on, but not exclusively so.
  • I've also noticed a kind of warbling/chattering under "enthusiastic" braking. Car stops fine. Doesn't feel like the tyres are losing traction and forcing the ABS to kick in, at least not how that feels on other cars

daveb77
2nd Gear

Re: Annual service looms - groaning from front, brake warbli

Post by daveb77 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:29 pm

I had brake wobble for ages until bit bullet and replaced discs / pads... totally gone now so suggest looking at brakes components, possible skim of discus might help if material left to do so?
D

murph7355
3rd Gear

Post by murph7355 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Looks like it was the brakes (front). Should get the car back tomorrow, though they're having problems getting a retaining pin out.

Bit annoying that the pad wear indicator didn't come on - I'm assuming these are only present on the pads on one side of the disc.

Eye watering service bill coming up :) Prices matched with Stoke Audi, but still a hefty chunk.

Incidentally...no wobble. Just odder than usual noises under braking. Still stopped OK.

murph7355
3rd Gear

Post by murph7355 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:50 pm

Been away a couple of weeks. Great service from Chelmsford Audi. Didn't stop the bill hurting despite providing my own oil and getting the disks and pads price matched.

CrackinNorks
Neutral

Post by CrackinNorks » Tue May 24, 2016 3:29 pm

murph7355 wrote:Been away a couple of weeks. Great service from Chelmsford Audi. Didn't stop the bill hurting despite providing my own oil and getting the disks and pads price matched.
How much? If you don't mind me asking? I'm near Chelmsford.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”