Wheels disintegrating

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
JCviggen
5th Gear

Wheels disintegrating

Post by JCviggen » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:22 am

Today's been weird.

I'm halfway through the long drive from Moscow to Belgium. First day was uneventful, good progress 70-80 mph for long stretches. Today I set off in Minsk, good quality roads, and 2 hours in the TPMS gives me a low pressure warning cruising on a highway in the middle of nowhere. Right rear is down to 1.5 bar from 2.5. Had a compressor with me so filled it back up and continued, wondering how long it would take to go back down. Turns out about 1 hour.

After 2 more fillups I found a tire place near the Polish border. Take off the wheel, its cracked. On the inside of the wheel at the edge there is a clear crack from which air is escaping. Guy can't fix it but his buddy 5 mins down the road can. 1 hour and 15 quid later I'm back up and running and quite a happy camper.

Once across the border it's several hours to Warsaw where we're stopping for the night. 2 mins before we get to the hotel there's the TPMS again. Bugger. Park the car underground, have a look around... left front is at 1.2 bar instead of 2.7. WTF. Look around the wheel with my smartphone's torch...I can hear the air hissing somewhere....yep identical crack same spot as it was on the other wheel. All I did was drive 2 full days on smooth roads at highway speeds with the cruise control on 80 mph and 50% of my wheels fail on day 2.

Needless to say, I can't use these wheels for the Nurburgring on Thursday. I've got to find another place that can repair the wheel enough to get home and then, somehow, find another set of wheels and get them onto my car within a day of getting home.

F--K
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Wheels disintegrating

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:59 am

Hope you get it sorted fella.

Very weird for opposite corners to be cracked with no obvious reason. OEM wheels?

First thing that came to mind though - you sure the wheel dude didn't pull a fast one and swap the cracked rear right wheel for the front left!?
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:40 pm

I don't know how flush you are but if you contact the guy who runs this place I'm sure he can get you 1 or 2 alloys couriered over from Germany within 24hrs.
http://www.felmondo.com/
Standard alloy details:
RS4 9 x 19 ET29 8E0 601 025 AG
He can supply the wheels tyres valves TPMS the lot.
He supplied me with my 20's for a great price and had them in stock, a really great genuine helpful chap.
Good luck in getting sorted.
:thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:30 pm

Haha - 50% of your wheels have failed. That's rotten luck but not uncommon for Audi OE wheels, the reason this forum exists is due to shoddy OE wheels.
No matter where you go, there you are.

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Well I did make it home last night thankfully! But to say I lacked confidence to drive the car fast on the Autobahn would be an understatement. Didn't really exceed 100mph.

Concierge at the hotel managed to find a place that could fix it in Warsaw at short notice but they did take 3 times as long as the guys in Belarus. And yes these are OEM wheels but they've had 7-8 years of Russian roads behind them and are apparently now giving up the ghost. They're shot. Been told that it's only a matter of time before they crack again and they're only good for the bin at this point.

Managed to find someone selling some used Ultraleggera HLTs and after offering a copious amount of Euros for a friend of the seller to drive it all the way to the Nurburgring I should have it tomorrow and get the Cup tires put on at a local joint. Contemplating buying another mint set of OEM wheels in Germany while I'm there so I don't need to swap tires on wheels all the time.

While in Belarus I met up with the old barge and its new owner who is taking great care of it.

B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”